THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    CZ 527 American Scope Suggestions

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 American Scope Suggestions
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to get some opinions on how much magnification you believe is needed to shoot groundhogs/coyotes out to 300yds. I am also aware of the issue of bolt clearance with the CZ rifle..so if anyone can suggest particular scopes/ring height etc..I would appreciate it. Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: Long Island,NY | Registered: 03 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have the same rifle and I went for a 3-9x36 Swarovski Habicht and put the "new style" bolt handle from CZ on it.

I don't usually shoot "varmints" at 300m, but here in Switzerland, the standard club ranges are 300m and I plug away fine at those. If you can, see if you can find a Minox ZA5 1.5-8x32. Looks a nifty compact scope.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your shooting.

ATB,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ model 527 American in .223 Remington. Using the supplied CZ rings, I mounted a Nikon M-223 2-8X32 BDC 600 scope on it. The rifle was functional as described, however the bolt handle would push the rear scope cover off; this was resolved by installing a bolt handle modified by CZ in Kansas City. It took me about three years from time of purchase and assembly, to send the handle in for modification. When I did send it in, I was told that the newer rifles come equipped with the modified handle, but I have no proof of this.

I chose the Nikon scope because I started using them close to thirty years ago and I am quite acclimated to them. With the 1 in 12 twist of my rifle, it is very suited for the scope which incorporates a bullet drop compensating reticle specifically for the .223 Remington using a 55 grain tipped bullet.

Overall I am quite happy with the setup, I would say that the scope may not be the most aesthetically appealing as it was intended for use on AR type files, but the functionality of the BDC reticle and the rifle has been perfect for my uses.

I know of a gentleman who has hex head bolts for the action as well as the scope rings, these were nice additions to the rifle, and go a long way towards improving the scope rings; we used slotted scope ring screws for a very long time, but for practicality, the hex heads are hard to beat.

Posts: 91 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 15 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 Varmint in 204 Ruger. I'm using a Leupold 6.5x20 Vari-X III with CZ rings. Have no complaints.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If 300 yards is your limit, then a variable with a 9X top end will do. A 12X is a little better. A 14X is great, but if you go any higher in power you'll lose utility and the field of view will be small and the magnification of shakes and mirage excessive.

By all means, if CZ is making a lower bolt handle root available which will allow a lower scope mounting then you should have yours modified. Now, if they would only make the backward safety work like the rest of the guns in the known universe . . .

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the most important factor is what power are you comfortable shooting with? I remember when putting a 6x scope on a rifle brought comments like "too powerful, you won't see nothing but fur". On my personal "truck" guns I have 3.5x10, 4.5x14, 2.5x16 and if you look at any one of them they are on 10x. That is a power I am comfortable with even for that skunk in the road ditch 10 yards away. I have calling rifles that are wearing 6x24 scopes, but there again most shooting is done around 10-12x because I can see the impact or the miss. I hunt with a friend who has all 6.5x20 Leopold's and they are all on 20x all the time. So pick a scope with at least a minimum power you are comfortable hunting with and as you use it, you might start shooting on a higher magnification.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 527 Hornet and the Ziess 3x9x36 fouled the bolt handle using the std mounts.

Friend who had it before me used a VX2 on it with no probs.

A

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Late 1990's did some woodchuck hunting with the CZ 223, it has the CZ rings and a Weaver 6-18. The dot is very fine.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Weaver Grand Slam on mine with the "varmint dot," with the dot practically non-existent. Also, the numbers on the mag adjustment and the front parallax adjustment wear off since they appear to be just painted on.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote