Find
Notify
Tools

Another yote off the deck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Problems at work last night and got called in. Got home at 5:00 AM
At 8:00AM my son was getting ready to go to college and let the two dogs and cats outside. Shortly after I'm woken up from our small dog barking like crazy on the deck. I get up and looked out the window but could not see anything as the fog was quite thick. I opened the door and all of the pets came running inside. That's when I noticed some movement at the far edge of my trout pond 80 yds away. A big yote saw me open the door and started to make a south west dash for the bush line. Ran downstairs and got the 204 from the gun safe but no sign of him. I figured since I was up, I'd try some cottontail squalls and see what happens. After about 10 min I notice movement coming in from the North east. It was a young yote (last years model). Laid down on the deck and sent the 35 gr berger on its way 60 yards away. He spun three times and made a mad dash into the trees. This was the first "runner" I've experienced using the 35 gr bergers and he managed to make it just shy of 75 yds before piling up. 4 down, and at least 4 more of these visitors to go.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an A-1 story and illustration sir, well done...r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Keep after 'em!!!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
Gube204,

Where are you from? The scenery looks fantastic...and nice shooting!

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as all the above- great story, great illustration of the target and beautiful ground... and the rifle identified. are those trees burn outs?

you oughtta file a story with Varmint Extreme, or Varmint Hunter, you have a talent.

can you fly? I don't see any footprints Big Grin

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm from central Alberta. We had a fire rip through the area 5 years ago when we were just about to start building our house. We had to wait about 2 months before we were allowed back in to continue building. My 20 yr old son (a pilot) took an arial view just after I had my "trout pond" built.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gubie,

Good on Ya all the way around....good shooting and a nice looking place from above, too!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to pour myself another cup of coffee at 8:30 this morning and lo and behold, when I looked out the window I see this fella come slinking in between the slough and my trout pond. Grabbed the 204 VLP and laid out on the deck using the bipod. Gave a couple of lip squeaks which got him to turn broadside and stop. At 105 yds away he didn't have a chance. The 35 gr berger being pushed with 26.8 gr of benchmark slammed into his chest. I watched the impact through the scope, 5 wild spins and it was over. This pack of seven dogs are now down to three. Fairly brave coming in at that time of the morning even though he was last years model. The upcoming new born fawns, ducks, and geese will be much happier.

This was the view from my deck. Black arrow points to where he lays.

Savage Vaporizer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job. You'd think they would move to a less dangerous area. California maybe?

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gube,

Outstanding work - again!

Would appear to me tha you need to put a "small atraction" to keep 'em coming to the spot they've already selected as part of their circuit.

@ 12"-15" piece of 4" diameter PVC pipe buried at a little bit of an angle with the top flush with the ground. Just dump the leftovers from your Trout Pond in the PVC & let her start to get "Ripe". Will delfinately attract every Yote within smelling distance and the Pipe keeps 'em stuck to one spot to work at getting their head in to the "Goodies". That way they don't do a "Snatch & Run" on ya.

I like the Tripod idea but with some many Targets of Opportuntiy you ought to consider some sandbags & a bench next to the BBQ?

Have fun!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote