THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint Rifle: Single Shot or Repeater? Please Vote

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Rifle: Single Shot or Repeater? Please Vote
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please vote your preference as to whether you like a single shot or a repeater as your varmint rifle.

Question:
Which action do you prefer for your varmint rifle?

Choices:
Repeater
Single Shot

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what kind of "varmints" you're hunting.

For colony varmints (prairie dogs) shot from a stationary location, I use my rifle as a single shot anyway and could care less whether it has a magazine. HOWEVER, most any action other than a bolt action is problematic when shooting from rest. The operating lever of a falling block sometimes won't clear the rest, and a break-open like the NEF or TC is terribly awkward in that it must be completely removed from the rest to reload.

For coyotes and others on which a quick follow up may be needed, a magazine is advantageous.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poll needs a third entry!

Semi Auto

I had played with the evil black rifles for fun but never for "serious" varminting until this winter. I built myself a AR15 in 204 Ruger with a RRA lower, JP Enterprise single stage trigger and a Accuracy Systems upper. Final package is a tack driving long range coyote killer, follow up shots are flawless or multiple call ins because sight picture not only isn't lost the cross hairs don't even leave the target. My vote goes for a 204 R. On a AR platform thumb

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you bearcat.

Semi Auto would fall in the "Repeater" vote.

Also, a single shot bolt action like the new Remington XR-100 would be in the "Single Shot" vote.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a single shot for PD shoots for the following reasons:

- I like Ruger No.1's, but don't go on expensive big game hunts with wood stocked rifles unless I am going to Africa with my .416.
- Nice wood on a varmint rifle makes perfect sense: it is a lot easier to take of a varmint rifle
- You only shoot one shot at a time anyway

But the issue of a lever getting in the way is real. But I will live with it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with Stonecreek on this...

I prefer repeaters, as you can feed them single shot... and I like a bolt action over a Ruger Number One Style rifle for Varmint shooting...

ON the other end, I am not an AR 15 kinda guy... In fact, even tho I have 10/22s for the kids around to shoot.. My preference and what I use is a Bolt Action CZ 452..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what I'm after. If it's PD's I am in no hurry and my single shot 22BR is often used. My call rifles will be repeaters. Hard to get a double let alone a triple with a single shot.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) I always load single shot to snipe at varmints at 100 yards.

2) I like a semi auto 10/22 for walking around shooting free hand at 100 feet.

3) For my next trick, I am going to get a semi auto 22 pistol and get even closer.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I like AR's, I like the fit and feel over most other rifles. Being a repeater is not real important to me. I have been looking into having a tube gun built and would probably go with the single shot. The most important part is that it would have the fit and feel of an AR. In fact, my next hunting rifle may be a DPMS LR-30S in 300 SAUM.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a repeater for when your spotlighting much easier to operate !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Single shot, bolt action.

I like the FN single shot.