THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    "The 1978 Vintage Cherry Gun" (Pics)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The 1978 Vintage Cherry Gun" (Pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After all the talk about this gun on the on the other posting, I think it only proper to show the prize:

Hopefully, you can all see why I was going nuts about this gun. I'm a proud pappa. Let me know when you all want to shoot it!

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for rubbing it in!

I never seem to be the guy to find these deals! I hear about them after somebody else has gotten thier hands on 'em.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That thing looks sweet! I never did catch what it is chambered in, but it shouldn't matter much- all the early varmints I've ever seen were real shooters.
Heck, even the jeweling on the bolt looks like new. It looks like it has hardly been cycled, as the jeweling is usually the first thing to disappear.
Let us know how it shoots- Bob

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is chambered in .22-250 REM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful condition on a great rifle, congrats! I'll bet it shoots as well as it looks. I don't think I've ever run across an older Remington that with reasonable attention to detail wouldn't shoot like crazy from the get-go or at least respond with a little tweaking. I believe you mentioned that it was a .22-250 Remington, if so and if it were mine (wish it was) I'd clean it to bare metal and perhaps take a run at making sure it was broken in right. A lot of older rifles seem to have been just taken to the range sighted in and shot with, my experience has been a little tlc sure makes em clean easier and foul less.

In your discussion of triggers (I'm in the camp that's had many many Remingtons and never had one go off by itself) might I suggest a Kepplinger single set available through Brownells. I added one to my 700 .223 turned Tactical .20 and love it. It breaks at 2lbs unset for cold fingers and coyotes, and 3.6 oz set for p-dogs and paper from a rest. Nice addition to a fine rifle.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate: Hey bubba, that is/was the story of my life too. If you go out there purposfully looking for jewels then most likely you won't find one. Your more apt to find them when you least expect it. That is what happened with me and this gun. Just have to wait for my Burris Signature rings to come in and I'll be off to the range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious...

Simply beautiful...I hope mine looks this good in person.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty of a rifle. Kudos!

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is one fine rifle,I'll bet it shoots as good as it looks.Good luck with it.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington Varminter from 1978. You lucky devil! I have several from this period including a Rem. 40XBBR in .222Rem.
Send a picture of it to Remington and tell them this is the rifle so many of us want, and insist on. Maybe shooters would stop running out to buy the Tikkas and CZs. I hear many people talk about how good today's firearms are. I just don't think so. The rifles from the late 70's don't usually require glass bedding, barrel floating and the removal of 8lb triggers. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey FURocious, are you the one I met in guns-n-stuff the other day? I fugure there can't be to many people in IL that just bought a 1978 rem 700 in 22-250.

John

White Oak Arms

Posts: 556 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes John that was me! What a small world.

Looks even better all cleaned and shined up don't it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I "had" one just like it!!! It is probably the reason for my passion for accurate rifles to this day!!! That was in my "early" years of reloading and shooting and I still have a 10 shot group that it shot using 53 grain Sierra Match bullets that measures .352!!! That's 10! not 5! It killed a lot of groundhogs before I let it get away!!! Wish I had it back!! Congrats on your find!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: How much do you want for it - now that it is all cleaned up?
I hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Cal Sibley: I just last December bought a Remington 700 VLSS in caliber 22-250. I mounted a Leupold silver 6.5x20 scope on it did a trigger job on it and headed for the range. My first trip to the range with the first load I tested gave these results at 100 yards after barrel break in: 3 shots in .205"! 3 shots in .271" and 4 shots in .448"! And this was done with new brass! I have been Varminting with that Rifle since and it holds its point of impact and I feel no bedding or pillars are needed what-so-ever! In addition I also bought a Remington 700 VLSS (these are the all stainless 26" heavy barrels and stainless action Varminters with the wood laminated silver and black stocks) in caliber 223 Remington. I mounted a Leupold silver 4x12 AO scope on it and headed for the range. I had 20 rounds left after barrel breakin and fired these 4 consecutive 5 shot groups at 100 yards. .581", .630", .693" and .708". Now these may not sound like rave groups but remember these were shot with Varmint bullets, new brass, a lower powered scope and no Rifle modifications other than a trigger job. And again this was the first loading I tried. The wind was blowing at 5 MPH+ that day also according to my loading log! In addition I have bought numerous other Remington 700's in the recent past and I have been happy with everyone of them accuracy wise. Also no major or minor factory foul ups what-so-ever have popped up with any of them! Others I have recently bought include a limited edition Model 700 stainless Varminter in 17 Remington (sensational accuracy with this!), a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington (good accuracy), A Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester (excellent accuracy!), a Remington 700 Classic in 221 Remington Fireball, A Remington 700 Classic in 223 Remington and a Remington 700 Classic in 17 Remington - all these Classics provide very pleasing accuracy. So I tend to disagree if you are saying Remington 700's are no longer accurate. I am certain, they are very accurate arms! Granted there are sometimes obvious areas of poor attention to detail on a couple of my 700's but for the most part they are VERY useable as factory issued. I have been buying Remingtons very steadily since the early 1970's and have been happy with them right along.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, i have one just like it, same vintage, same cond., for 440$ including dies, brass, rings, and a one piece base. For another 280$, it will arrive wearing a vx2 6x18 matte, with a fine duplex. That is unless you have a trade in mind?? I am as big a remington junky as yourself. any way drop me an email if you want.cheers! Mark yiphowl@hotmail.com

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hvyw8t: I will keep you in mind! Thanks for the info and the offer. Right now I have a spy 180 miles from here travelling to a gun shop near him to see if a particular 204 Ruger is still on the rack there. If it is, me and my mad money will be taking a ride perhaps as soon as tomorrow and deal on it in person.
Gun nut is not a state of mind it is an affliction - I swear!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That, my friend, was a rifle I LUSTED after when I was young. The others were the rack of custom Browning's that The Denver, a high-end department store in Colorado Springs in the early 70's, had on display. Visions of these rifles were dancing in my head when I bought a Cooper Custom Classic 22-250 last fall. It only took 38 years or so to finally get an example of the kind of beautiful wood stocked classic styled rifle I fell in love with as a boy. As a bonus the Cooper consistently shoots in the mid 3's at 100 yds. Beautiful and deadly.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote