Find
Notify
Tools

Range finder for prairie dogs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted
Help for a new guy.......what laser rangefinder model do you find works the best for small targets like prairie dogs? I have a cheap one I got for deer hunting, but I rarely got a return on the small dogs. Most of the time I ranged nearby mounds or bushes for ranges. Other times I was SOL.
thanks

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Money talks, the Leicas have great reputations but mostly I just range the nearby mounds. That works for me.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moe,

Leica makes a series called "Pinmaster" which are engineered for ranging the flag stick on a golf course. They have a very small "target" zone and other than that the Pinmaster operates the same as hunting models.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is doubtful you can regularly RF pds with any reliability. I have tried many times and at best you can LRF their mounds or like we do, field markers.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually find that i use a rangefinder very little in PD shooting. Set up in a field - shooting all around you, it doesn't take but a very few shots to know the ranges and where your rifle is hitting. a spotter is much more useful than a rangefinder. besides that its a great way to learn how to shoot and estimate ranges.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just Say Moe: I use the Leica Model 800 for my Prairie Doggin, other types of Varminting and my Big Game Hunting! This Model ranges out to 880 yards and with some patience and planning is an excellent aid to longer range shooting of Prairie Dogs.
Planning, in that I ALWAYS try to get higher than the Prairie Dogs! Shooting down on them is simply safer and easier to do - in many ways! The Leica is most probably ranging off of the ground or off of the mound most of the time as opposed to ranging off of the body of the Prairie Dog!
It works!
I seldom shoot past 500 yards on Varmints so this Leica 800 is enough for me.
I highly recommend the Leica.
I have owned two other Laser Rangefinders before this one and have used SEVERAL other brands and types.
Again I highly recommend the Leica 800!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've ranged individual PD's, out to 630 yards, with this set-up.

Hope the pic works.

Friend Of The 17....and 20
Kevin Gullette[IMG]http://outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/Searcy20BRwVMBLHsideF.jpg [/IMG]

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote