Find
Notify
Tools

7 year old got his!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
My seven year old was not happy that his brother had taken a coyote and he hadn't. He asked if I'd take him out calling. It was the day before we were to leave on a ski trip, I was feeling lousy, and it was supposed to rain. Of course I said "yeah I'll take you!"
We headed out the door about 20 min. after shooting light and headed to a valley I hadn't hunted. It was raining as we parked. The set up was looking up a ravine to one side and old road up the other. After the fourth series of calls I saw one coming in. I wispered "do you see it?" and he said "yeah" I told him to get on him and seconds later I squeeked my lips. The yote slowed down but didn't stop. His little rifle barked and the dog dropped. I was excited for him, and as I was congratulating him the coyote got up. I took his gun to finish it with. In hind site I maybe should have let him do the finishing! Eeker My first shot at the spinner was through his hips, he was down again but still not dead, and biting at himself. My next shot broke his neck. I guess it's time to buy a couple of smaller .223's! Big Grin

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Job!

That is the age to get them hooked!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigNate

That's a great story. Your boy is about 4 years older than my oldest Grandson. Hope I have a story to tell like that in just a few more years about him. The heritage lives.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
That's awesome.
His smile says it all!

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
BigNate, You and the boys are our future. Great Job and I hope he never ever forgets that exciting moment. I know you will not. Well done to the young man.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate: Your youngest should be very proud! Great photo of this young Hunter also by the way!
A mini-size 223?
Hmm... I am thinking.
Some one should make one!
By the way is that a Ruger 10/22 he's shooting?
Thanks for posting your story and photo, they brightened my day!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have him use the 10/22 Mag as it's the smallest rifle I own that will work. He hit it bang-on the shoulder and it didn't penetrate to the good stuff. But for seven he didn't miss the ribs by much!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
BigNate,

This may be my fathers last year hunting and I remember the very first squirrel I shot with him about 45 years ago.

There is no value I can place on that memory.

Well done on all accounts.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote