THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    204 Ruger or what for Coyotes/Bobcats

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger or what for Coyotes/Bobcats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently have a 7mm-08 that could be used as a dual purpose deer & coyote/bobcat rifle, but no doubt it would be extremely fur destructive. I'm not that concerned about coyote fur but wouldn't want to destroy the possibility of a good bobcat mount by blowing it into pieces. So....I've have been thinking seriously about picking up a dedicated rifle for these two preditors. I'm hunting NW Arkansas & SW Missouri where shots could be anywhere from up close & personal out to 300/350 Yds or so. None of the western varments (Pdog etc.) around here so we're primarilly talking about coyotes & bobcat.

I'm open to the 223, 22-250, 220 Swift and between these would probably be leaning a little closer to the 223; however, I've been reading a lot of good reports on the 204 Ruger. Most of these reports have related to accuracy, ballistics, etc. with not really that many reporting on actual "on-game" field performance (especially on coyotes/bobcats). I can easily see the 204 as an excellent performer on the smaller varments, but I'm just a little bit concerned about the 204's performance on the bigger critters like coyotes.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 204 Ruger on Coyotes and/or bobcats? If so, could you please share load/ammo used, shot distances, shot placement and how they performed. How many drop dead vs get up and run off?

If NOT the 204, then which caliber do you see at the top of the list for the hunting situation I've described and why?

Edit: PS, I do reload.

Thanks

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
39 and 40 gr .204 rounds should do a fine job on those critters. I have only shot fox and one rabid german sheppard/collie mix which was bigger than any coyote I've ever seen and all have been 1 shot quick kills. I've heard some stories of 200 lb deer shot with the .204 too, but have no first hand experience. I can tell you 35 gr V-Max in a K Hornet is deadly on deer thru the ribs. Friends use them a lot to fill crop damage permits.

Any of the rounds you listed will certainly kill if you put the bullet in the right spot. As far as pelt damage, I've blown up some fox with the 32 gr Horny factry load in the .204. Anything smaller is just a spray and globs of critter left. .204is a great gun and so is the .223 for your purpose.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has a .204 and I'll tell you they will more than handle a coyote. The problem falls on the other end of the scale for you bobcats. You mention you wanted to mount one. I'm afraid a 204 is likely to not be shall we say fur friendly on a bobcat. The .223 with say a 35 Gr bullet perhaps down loaded a little would be a better choice.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are reloading and are good at it, then the .204.
If you are not reloading, then the .223, past 350yds, the .22-250. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys!!!

I'm thinking it will probably come down to the 223 or 204. I think the 22-250 & 220 Swift would be a bit too destructive on Bobcats, especially at closer ranges.

As far as the 204 goes, I've read where some folks are finding the Burger bullets, especially the 35grn HP, to be just as effective and a lot more fur friendly than the current factory loads.

As far as reloading goes, there are a staggering amount of 22 cal bullets available. This would give a bit of an edge to the 223, 22-250, etc, but there are 12 of more bullets available for the 204 and I would think that would be plenty enough to find a good combo.

Anyone use an AR type rifle for preditors? Seems to me a quick followup shot could come in handy on occasion.

firstshot
-------------------------------

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the 32 grain VMAXS or 32 grain SIERRAs are going to leave much of an exit mark on a bobcat from the .204!!! Maybe I'm wrong!! A groundhog is a bit tougher hided varmint than a bobcat!! But after seeing the results of the Hornady and Sierra 32's on groundhogs out to 400 yards......a lot of the groundhogs....DRT with the alfalfa still stuck in their teeth and have to look for the entry hole(NO EXIT HOLE!!!!!) I would have to bet that the little .204 will suffice!!! After 400 my results have been about the same using the 39 grain Sierras(my personal preference for the .204 on varmints!!) little hole in, no exit!!! And then there's the "optical" value of it!!.....watch the bullet hit the varmint!!!! .204 is a varmint hunters dream machine out to 500!!! ANd this is from a die hard 22-250 and 25-06 afficianado!! Undoughtedly the 25-06 is the "varmint rifle from hell" in the eyes of the varmints!! Not many witnessed hits but you can see the parts falling back down to earth!!! And the 22-250 offered un canny accurracy and destructiveness to the vermin!!! Just didn't get to witness much but the aftermath!!! The .204 is here to stay!! If somebody had brought out a commercial version of the .20 Tactical, it would be here to stay!(probably is anyway!!) but the bottom line is the .20's are serious little varminters!! More fun than eatin beans!!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grounghog

Thanks for the report on your 204 experience. Sounds like the 204 is going to be the ticket.

I'm seriously thinking about going the AR route, but need to find out about reloading for the AR first. The Sierra 5th edition has two separate sections for the 223. One for 223 AR and one for 223 Bolt. The 223 AR loads are overall about 200 FPS slower than those listed for the 223 Bolt and they indicate this is due to port pressure limitations of the Semi-auto gas opperating systems.

I just don't know if it would make much sense to go the 204 Ruger route in an AR if you can't load it for maximum 204 velocities. Seems like you would be defeating the "strong point" of the cartridge.

At any rate here is a pic of Tromix Tackhammer in 204 Ruger......sweeeeeeet!

firstshot
--------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
First Shot, I really don't know much about the 204 but AR's are another point.
That integral(sp) hi-rise upper is junk. If you decide to go the AR way go with the standard flat top. That way you can find the ring height that fits you best for your type shooting.
Also, consider building your own gun, much cheaper and you can select the very best parts from various suppliers. The great part of AR's is you chan change uppers and calibers in a heartbeat, and if done right they are tack drivers. Heres a picture of my yote killin machine

Check out Fjold's post on the AR he built. Good luck with the project

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/783109904

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jimmyd223

Man, that's a sweet lookin rig!!!! thumb Can you provide some details? i.e. various components, etc. What length barrel is that? How much does it weigh loaded up?

I've been doing a bit of research here, AR15.ccom as well as other forums and have just about decided on a .223 Rock River 16" or 18" Varmint. Kind of leaning toward the 16" barrel.

firstshot
---------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
I have one in a 20 inch barrel that works real well. Mine likes 55 grn V-max and the 52 grn hp's with Varget.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I usually shoot a 17 Rem for coyotes and bobcats because it's about as fur friendly as you can get IMO.

Here's my AR in 17 Rem.

Now for the 204 Ruger, I've found that the 35 gr Bergers work very well on the coyotes I've recently shot. H4895 is my favorite powder for this, but some people like BLC(2). I haven't had the 204 very long so I can't fully compare it to the 17 Rem.

Posts: 20 | Location: midwest | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm Not a hard question for me to answer... Anything that will put the vermin outta my misery!!!

I prefer these!!!

220 swift
25-06
any 300 mag
30-338

lol

beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
One additional thing you may consider is that the .204 and .223 make a smaller "pop" when you pull the trigger than some of the bigger calibers.

As with any hunting, bullet placement is the most important part of ensuring a quick, one-shot kill and minimizing pelt damage.

I like my Rem 700 VS in .223 w/40-gr. Nosler BTs.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of exguide67
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 10 204 Ruger and from the little that I have shot it I like what I have seen, My .17 was a joke than its worth, I have to much wind where I live and it was hard to get a nice day to shot.

Thats why I bought the 204 and I think my 204 will do just fine on dogs.

Jeff

Posts: 8 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote