Find
Notify
Tools

scope for 17 HMR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
If you were buying a 17 HMR, what scope would you put on it? It's primary use will be for prairie dogs a couple times a year.

Thanks in advance,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the .17 hmr's non existant recoil (it's not going to shake anything apart) and less than 200 yard range. A moderatly priced 4-12 X 40mm is plenty of scope. I have a 3-9 x 40 on mine and it's more scope than the gun needs, cause if more than 175 yards out I'll use something else. I'd say spending more than $200-300 on a scope for a .17 hmr is money thrown away, as the gun is not going to make use of more power or clarity than that price range will give you. Unless of course money is just falling out of your pockets, in which case this is really a non issue.

Ricky

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the cartridge shoots quite flat over it's short range the only requirement I see is fine crosshairs for the varmints.

The 4-12 I got long ago is still useful on a wide range of rifles and it would be good on a .17 HMR also. Mine has AO. I could use one with or without AO.

The Simmons scopes have worked well for a friend. I have one Simmons and it's ok but I might buy a Conquest for my .17.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Go to the Mueller 4 x 16 scope. I have it on my HMR and love it. I alos have the Eradicator on my 204 and love them both . The Muller is about 175 or so and is a clear scope with repeatable clicks. Tough to beat for the money. 248 yd shot on a pdg with it on the 17! Try it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-12 lupold, thats what my frienda have on theres. I don't on one but it would seem to me that the 4-12 would be ideal.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird: I have a Ruger 77/17V with a Weaver KT-15 scope on it! I have killed Varmints cleanly out to 239 yards now with it (Leica Lasered). My Weaver has the adjustable objective feature on it and is a straight 15x (no-variable).
I have two friends that have the Weaver V16's on their 17 HMR Rifles and I wish I had one on my rig also. I am actively looking for one of the Weaver 4x16 powered variables (used) right now.
The 17 HMR is capable of very small groups and of killing Varmints at longer ranges than most think possible!
I suggest you go with plenty of scope power for your Prairie Doggin as the 17 HMR's can put that scope power to good use. And I suggest you get a scope with the adjustable objective feature!
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Graybird,
I just ordered a "Sweet 17" by BSA from Midway
3-12X40 AO. It is calibrated for the 17HRM with it's built in bullet drop compensator. My buddy's works extreamly well on his 17. There is a small discrepancy on drop because of the 9 different loadings presently available. His seems to be right on with the Hornady 17 grn.
The scope cost me less than $100. Just something you might consider.
Best Regards,
Lever Ed

Posts: 14 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote