Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feral dogs
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to the site and was hoping ya'll could help me out. I've got a pair of wild dogs running around where I work (a 115lb Rotty and a black lab to be exact). I need to get rid of them. I see them off and on but never when I have my rifle. I have narrowed down the area where are living. I can't find anyone with Traps big enough for the rotty and I can't afford to buy a pig trap. I'm afraid that someone is going to get bit by the dogs. I figured that I would set up a blind in the area where I've seen them and use my coyote caller and see if they come in to that. Any suggestions from the experts? all help is appreciated. I have spoken with the local cops, animal control and game wardens. they have all given me a green light to dispatch the animals.

[ 11-09-2002, 07:48: Message edited by: GBTX01 ]

Posts: 17 | Location: LA | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Specifics as to your state (so we know the applicable law) and such things as nearest neighbor. I'd first call 911. Let animal control deal with it. Answer some questions and we'll talk. Simply shooting even dogs can land you in hot water in some jurisdictions.

Since you've now posted that you've been given the green light by LEOs (who don't have the authority to change the law... another topic) I'd just bait and shoot them. Most wild/feral/dropped/abandoned dogs are hungry as all get out and will come in to most anything. Set up pretty close with the shotgun, as recommended by somebody else, or rifle and have at them when they come in. Take a shovel and bury them were they fall.

[ 11-09-2002, 21:13: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GBT - They are probably way too stupid to come to a coyote call. But no harm in trying, I guess.

It's hard to advise you on this since you give no information where you are. I doubt the authorities are going to do anything...unless you can get these animals penned up somewhere. They won't waste time trying to outsmart them.

So, if you have been given the green light to blow them away...I'd do it. Depending on where you live. A shotgun with #2 or #4 should knock them down if not kill them outright if you can get pretty close. Then you can move in quickly and finish anything unfinished. A 22 Long Rifle would be poor choice of weapon.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back years ago, the winter of 1978 I had got on the tractor to get a load of firewood we had stacked. It was back in woods near a steep ravine, I shut the tractor off and was walking toward the wood pile when I heard growling in the ravine. I stopped and 4 medium size dogs came out growling. Since discretion is the better part of valor, I retreated to the tractor. All dad had was a 22 and a 12 guage with 6 shot. So I went home and got my 222. To make a long story short, I didn't catch up with them that day, but over the next 2 months my brother and I shot 4 of them and I trapped 3 more. They were truly feral dogs that lived off the land. I learned a 222 is not enough gun for a 70 lb. dog. I swithced to the 308 and my brother a 243. Right or wrong I feel we did right and would do it again.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBTX01:
...I have spoken with the local cops, animal control and game wardens. they have all given me a green light to dispatch the animals.

Hey GBTX01, Looks like I'm agreeing with Pecos - again!

Just found out 2 days ago that we have some non-hunting dogs running Deer on one of the old Plantations I hunt. One of my hunting buddies had one of them come by his Stand and run some Deer off.

He was ready to come down and change Stands when he thought about a "Rabbit in Distress" call which he happened to have with him. Just like Pecos mentioned, he decided it couldn't hurt, so he gave it a squeek or two. Well, here came the dog.

He got the crosshair all centered on his skull, eased the Safety off on his BOSS 270Win M70, lightly tickled the trigger and CLICK!!! - no cartridge in the chamber. [Eek!]

To say he was upset is a VAST understatement. Here he had been hunting for nearly 3 hours with an empty chamber in WHOPPER TROPHY Buck country.

So, he racks the bolt and the dog runs off. Decided to try the squeek again and here came the dog back, but crossing further out. Total miss on this shot. Since the 270Win is his favorite caliber, he saw no humor at all in my question about perhaps the bullet just "bounced off" the dog? [Big Grin]

That said, I think Pecos is right about recommending the good old shotgun and BuckShot. Or any caliber will work with the right bullet placement if you can get them to stop. Maybe an open can of Alpo would help slow them down.

Nearly forgot, once you do kill one, bury it and don't say a word to anyone about having made the kill. Many people simply don't understand.

[ 11-09-2002, 18:15: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
A good acronym (alluded to by Hot Core)that is appropriate and needs to only be posted . . . spelled out once . . . but ALWAYS remembered

SSS

shoot
shovel
shutup

LouisB [Eek!]

[ 11-09-2002, 19:06: Message edited by: TCLouis ]

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem with Buck shot is you had better be prepared to go in hot pursuit if the dog doesn't drop in its tracks. Reason one would be some other fool is likely to stumble on a wounded feral dog and the animal has only two choices, fight or flight. The second equally important is just fairness to the animal, to dispatch it as quickly and humanely as possible.
My test with Buckshot is roughly 1" spread for each yard, meaning a single shot is probably all you'll get so yardage of 40 to 50 yards for a clean kill is about the limit for buckshot, bird shot considerably less . Any farther you'd better have a good pair of running boots and sufficient day light.

I shot a young coyote some years back that came a little to close to my Lab, range for the first shot was probably 12 yards, I was using a 12 gauge 26" mod with hot loaded # 7's. It was a straight on shot which I took, the coyote did an upward back flip and caught shot #2 when he hit the ground. The yote kicked it into after burner and shot #3 was at 25 yards. I knew the direction he was goin would force him to cross over another logging road so I took off putting a #4 in the chamber which was fired broadside at about 40 yards, again the shot rolled him over. I looked for over 2 hours for that coyote, blood and saliva was everywhere and I ran out of daylight. I have to believe the coyote died from the amount of hits, but they are definitely one tough animal.

[ 11-09-2002, 21:13: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We also have a problem with feral dogs in our area. Several years ago I came across a local "pack." One large black and tan hound came to within 15-20 yards of my deer blind. When I threw a small rock at it in hopes of scaring it away the crazy dog began snarling, showing its canines and moving toward me. I was forced to shoot the stupid critter. At the report of the rifle the other 3 mongrels came rushing up. One of them was a large German Shepherd mix and he began growling, barking, etc. When this happened I solved the problem by shooting the other three.
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Shotguns are fine, but you better have something better than birdshot.

I remember it taking three shots of 12 ga. 71/2's to take a decent size jackrabbit.

If the minimum size for goose is T, what do you think an appropriate size is for a 70 or 100 lb dog?

Personally, I'd find where they live, bait them with something and leave a plate of anti-freeze. Just make sure nothing comes in you don't want to kill! JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have had several over the years here on the docks,and we have gone to a 22mag with the hotest loadings we can find in a scoped rifle.has worked on them for awhile now as well asthe stray cats.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a few years ago a buddy of mine was having trouble with a pack of feral dogs harrassing his cows and calves. he thought it was coyotes until he actually saw them. one day i caught three of them out in the open and shot one(6.5 rem mag...just right for big dogs). the other two stopped running and stood there long enough for me to shoot both of them. i never saw any more and my friend never mentioned a dog problem again...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads, old Pecos didn't really suggest "birdshot" or 00 Buck. I suggested #2's or #4's...and I was thinking of a pretty close shot...preferably not over 30 yards. And also I am ASSUMING GBT has a neighbors in near proximity or we wouldn't be having this talk in the first place.

GBT has never clarified this point for us.

But all are right to question a shotgun as the ideal weapon unless you can guarantee a close encounter.

My REAL first choice of a weapon for this would be some hot .22 centerfire. 223 on up would be grand. Load it with a 45-55 gr bullet designed for explosive expansion and I think the dogs would be heading for that big milk bone in the sky real quick. The explosive bullets would do wonders on their vitals AND should do a lot to minimize any richochets as well.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feral dogs don't exist for any period of time up here. The ranchers are quite fond of an SKS as a "ranch rifle" [Smile]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here any unknown or unwanted dog on your land is subject to be shot.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not posting sooner, been out of town. There are neighbors in the area. I think that I will probably use a 12ga with buckshot. the area that the dog is in is fairly wooded limiting the distance for a shot. I really appreciate everyones suggestions. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: LA | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its not too late, a 12 Ga w/ BB shot will work fine, #4 Buck is better. I do not load O or OO buck for anything as the pattern density is too low. Full Choke ranges to about 35-40 yds tops. They will respond to predator calls, but I'd use a squeaker before anything else. If they are within a few hundred yards when you use it they will respond. Do not be lulled by the fact that they're dogs or usta be pets. They're a lot bigger than 'yotes and quite dangerous. I'd suggest a backup with another shotgun to watch your 6 o'clock.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Russ D>
posted
GBTX01, We have a constant problem with feral dogs where we hunt. Whenever we can we take a crack at them.... coyotes too. Since you have neighbors, you may want to try snaring them. A properly set snare is capable of either killing or holding a dog.If you have neighbordogs you need to set the snare with a relaxing type lock and be sure there are no entanglements in the potential catch circle.The dog will be held as if on a collar and chain.Then you can decide what to do with him. If there are no "friendlies" in the area then you want a non relaxing killing type lock with crossed rebar stakes nearby for them to wind around ensuring a quick kill.Snares are cheap and animals that have become trap shy don't seem to notice them. Hope you get'em, Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took 2 this week from a deer blind, with a 7mm rem. mag.
My last was this morning at 07:30, on my back deck, Used my Rossi single shot .357mag 158 gr,sp. When I went out(I had to get dressed, was still in my boxers)to dispose of the critter my neighbor and my brother were standing there oooing and ahhing about the entrance and exit wounds and the splatter pattern across the deck.
We have so many dogs put out on our road the women are even telling us when and where the dogs are moving.

[ 11-18-2002, 09:06: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like feral dogs are a problem in all parts of the world.

When I was first given access to the farm on which I shoot, in western Victoria, Australia, I was 'introduced' to the owners dogs, and told to shoot on sight any others that we might happen upon. Haven't yet, but they're around...

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
We shoot coyotes and feral dogs on sight. Higher priority than deer. You can tell a lost hunting dog (dogs are used to hunt bear and racoon in this area) from a feral dog pretty easily by their behavior even if they've lost their collars. Most bear and coon dogs which are not on scent are looking for a human to give them direction, not feral dogs.

Also, in some areas, cats are a problem (and mentioning this is a problem for some people as well).

The source of all these former pets now feral pests are inconsiderate owners who, when their situation changes, dump their animals at what they consider a sufficient distance from home that they can't find their way back. Some survive, some breed and then you have your problem. However, most starve to death. Those that we find soon enough after they've been dumped go to the shelter and hopefully a new home. Too bad the former owners couldn't have done that AND it would have been a shorter drive for them as well.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine (pun NOT intended).

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMEN HOBIE!!!
We get several dogs per week, I guess we don't live far enough from town?
My hunting group and neighbors are the same way,we all carry rifles al the time when out and about the valley.
My brother shot 3 last week that were chasing a 2 day old calf.
My cousin had some renters move last month, when they asked why they didn't get all of their deposit back a few weeks later, he told them he gave the money to me for getting rid of the 6 cats and 2 dogs they left behind, EASIEST $200.00 I ever made!!!

<dave3220>
posted
I've had bad luck on feral large dogs with #4 Buckshot and much prefer a rifle.
A .357 RIFLE with hot 125 gr. works very nicely.
Hornet and .22WMR will do.
.308 with the fine 165 gr. Rem Core-Lokts only puts em' down if you hit a large bone.
30-30 with anything I've tried is real ho-hum, but 30-30 bullets out of a Garand -06' is one ranchers solution, and it dam near cuts em' in half.
From broadside you don't have much resistance unless bone is hit, so try for "splatter-rama" with fast-openers.(Take their lungs and they won't go far.)
It doesn't really matter where you get a hit just so long as you do, if they are not roosting back at some transplanted pavement pounders "quaint cabin in the country" between forays into the local game and domestic livestock.

You might try snares. Domestic dogs are used to being tied by the neck and will generally not strangle themselves, but wait to be let out or meet the "cullmaster 2000".

Dave 32-20

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out by the shed and garage putting a few things away for winter. Step out and "grrrrrrr" damn new stray growling at me , walk back to gun bench, pick up rifle I just bore-sighted, walk out, there he is, squeeze, boom, flip.

Walk over, windage perfect, elevation a "tad" off, aimed between eyes, hit dead center of nose.

THE .357/258 JHP. parted his head like it wasn't there!!

<Spotter>
posted
Hey,

I hired one of the local kids to build me a 2x4 framed box and since I had about 10
miles of screen I had him tack on a few layers. I told him it better hold a bear, he
smiled big and went to work. I had him top hinge a door on both openings and showed
him a photo of a simple trip plate. He built it and even scrounged some wheels so I
could push it around. I parked the rig out in a lonesome area, didn't want prying eyes
or PETA showing up.

Went to a kennel and asked the mtnce guy a 'favor'. My favor involved pulling out
Andrew Jackson. I asked him to keep an eye out for a 'bitch' in heat and once she started to give her water by the gallon and throw in her cage a pair of pants (bought at Goodwill) for her to tinkle on. Once it was well saturated, I told him to put it
in a plastic bag and give me a call. He did and I did.

The 'cage' sat out in the lot for a good 3 weeks to 'season', just using wind and rain to erase the human smell. Once I got the aromatic pants back, I stapled them to the top of the cage and set the trip plate. I've caught quite a few of those feral dogs, dispatching involved a snare pole and those that weren't feral(another reason to put
dog tags on yer mutt) I just walked over to my truck and hoisted them into another box. Those dogs went to the humane shelter or if I knew who's it was, they got dropped off near their house. Trap works well and to date I've gotten rid of just about ALL my feral dogs.

Built a smaller version for feral cats, instead of urine I just punch a can of tuna (99
cent store generic brand) and let it rot in a plastic bag. I throw the entire can into
the cage and it drives them nuts, many times I've had multiple catches.

Some ideas for you and if all else fails, a .220 Swift works too!

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
We had this problem where I hunt deer a couple years ago. Somebody dropped off an old pregnant mutt hound/lab/something. By fall the mom and pups were wilder than any coyote. I went in the woods about a 2weeks before bowseason started to hang my treestand and the bastard chased me off. Well I went back with my .308 and killed 2 of them, our hunting party killed 5 more during the course of the hunting season.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live and work almost in the middle of a very large urban area and my job frequently requires that travel on foot "walking" some of our large tracts of undeveloped property that is a haven for an amazing variety of wildlife....deer (some really nice bucks), coyotes, bobcats (and even find some mt lion tracks once in awhile), lots of birds including some huge coveys of quail, lots and lots of rattlesnakes, road-runners...you get the idea.

None of them have ever been a problem but feral cats and dogs can be.....several years ago I just made in back to my truck after being menaced by 2 big mixed-breeds....they showed no fear and circled the truck for a few minutes until I got my heart-beat back to normal and drove off. Came back the next morning with my .22lr and waited for them.....a pair of head-shots at 25 yards solved that problem and I guess the coyotes or whatever took care of disposal. Since then I carry my 38 Super on me when I'm out of the truck and the .22lr rides behind the seat. I quit counting the number of cats I've shot around the water guzzlers but the number of feral dogs is rapidly approaching 25.

I wish the idiots who drop them off to fend for themselves could see what they turn into in their efforts to survive.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote