THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Super close range coyotes question.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super close range coyotes question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be with in 10yrds of coyotes and I would like to use 22lr. I know that this is a small round but like I said I will be extra close to them. What I am wondering what is the best round to use. I like the looks of the CCI Stinger. Any one else ever drop one with a good 22lr??? I have droped one out side of the kitchen with a federal round. But he was at 10 feet.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
insted of worrying just use a shotgun with buck shot. knock em down everytime

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen to what Shiloh said-take the scattergun and leave the 22 for rodents.....

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention. This hunting will be durning night. I would hate to try to mount my night vision scope on a shotgun.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one yesterday with a Winchester "Expert .22 Hollow point" 36 grain bullet out of my Smith and wesson 422 at 30 yards. Hit him looking at me from a facing a bit to my left angle just in front of the left shoulder and the bullet exited just behind the right shoulder. Coyote made a small circle and went down. I often use an old Marlin .22 semi-auto rifle and any on sale standard style hollow point load with no problem getting results with any reasonable hit. I use for my night light an $8 dollar headlamp with clear red plastic taped over the lense and a BSA red dot sight for aiming the 22 rifle. These bullets almost always exit and I never shoot past 50 yards. I have taken several feral hogs also using head/neck shots and one of these weighed around a hundred pounds.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .22 will certainly work at that kind of range and the Stingers are about the worst choice. If you want to shoot larger game with a .22, use std. solids, not hollow points, as the biggest problem is penetration. This theory isn't any different than using a smaller rifle for cape buffalo, etc. you would use solids. I've shot a bunch of coyotes with a .22, and in younger days meat deer as well. In reality, a 12 ga. with 4-buck is the best at up to 75 yards or so. At ten yards a head shot should be a 100% shot with anything.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a bunch of coyotes using a .22cb (that's shorter than a .22 short) when I was trapping. A shot to the head was terminal. I would think a standard velocity .22 would work for a chest shot (aim for your exit). I think a .22 solid would be better than a hp however.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote