Find
Notify
Tools

Why Kill Coyotes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
When coyotes pack-up in the winter, they will go after anything, including a woman in Ontario a year or two ago who died in the attack.

The original poster is a Bambist troll w/ an agenda.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
There is sure a lot of coyote BS here.
I doubt most of the city boys that shoot coyotes know what they prey on.

Watch for the grey furry cigars. Coyotes eat mostly mice.

That may be the case in your part of the woods. Not ours. Fawn depredation here in Sout Texas is variable depending on how high the grass and brush are at the time.

I think its closer to the truth to say coyotes catch and kill whatever is easiest in any particular habitat.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think its closer to the truth to say coyotes catch and kill whatever is easiest in any particular habitat.

tu2 tu2 tu2 100% on the nose.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coyotes eat mostly mice.

How many mice does a coyote have to eat to satisfy its appeitte?

A while back I read a Montana FWP report that stated that each year, 45% of the Mule Deer fawns born in the Bridger Mountains in SW Montana were killed by coyotes.

On two separate occasions I have watched coyotes chasing adult Mule deer does, although I did not see the outcome of the chases.

One evening everal years ago I counted 29 Whitetail bucks feeding in a alfalfa field across the road below my house. This year I have not seen more than 4 bucks at any one time. In fact I used to see dozens of deer daily in the fields below and on the hill above my houe, and now I rarely see more than 3 to 5 deer at any time in those areas.

One day last winter I watched 3 coyotes stalking 5 whitetail does and fawns on the hill behind my house. I got my .22 LR rifle and shot several shots into the ground near the yotes to scare them off.

This coming winter I think I'll keep my .22-250 handy, and I won't shoot to scare.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not doubting that you have seen coyotes stalking deer, and I know they'll eat fawns whenever they can catch them, but doesn't Montana have wolves in significant numbers too? I'd have to imagine the presence of wolves would have a much bigger negative impact on deer herds than coyotes do.

Just going on my own experiences in PA, the coyotes here don't seem to hurt our deer numbers much. In the 80s Coyotes were pretty rare, now they're everywhere, yet we seem to have more deer than ever (at least in my part of the state).

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas don't got wolves and neither does most of Colorado. Coyotes take out a lot of fawns in both states annually.

From conversations I have had with friends that live and hunt in Pennsylvania, one of the reasons you are seeing more deer has to do with the regulations in place in your state concerning what can or cannot be killed.

Do coyotes eat mice, yes, but they are not the most sought after food source.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just curious as to what anybody though about wolves vs coyotes in terms of preying on medium/large game.

I suppose it could also be the case that our coyote population isn't as high as yours too. In the last ten years it has certainly increased drastically, but I doubt it has hit its peak yet. I hear them howling most nights if I stay outside long enough now, but it was a rare occurence 10-15 years ago.

In any case, most everybody around here shoots them on sight, myself included. I don't have any intention of stopping that unless they become a protected species.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have more fun shooting coyotes than giving them chrome disease with the front end of my Peterbilt. Big Grin

Posts: 2 | Location: sw Mn. | Registered: 30 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do I hunt coyotes ? The challange! coyotes are in my opinion smarter than elk..I've been less than 20 yards from an elk many times. But to acually outsmart a coyote and to call him into shooting range is a challange. They are smart !!The'll smell you,see you and just plain sence you..Its man against preditor.and the preditor usually lives to eat another day.
Oh... and I do live and work on a ranch.coyotes dont bother our cows.sure ive seen coyotes out in with the cows.but ive never seen one attack a cow..they just dont do that.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they just dont do that.

They will attack calves and they will harass a cow giving birth to the point where she will get up an fight at the coyotes enough to the point of stepping on her new calf and either killing it or injuring it so bad that the coyotes can finish off, and that does happen.

Just cause you have not seen something that does not mean that it does not happen or exist.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
...then you have not "lived and worked on a ranch" very long!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I kill every coyote I can get in my sights. These pictures were taken within 100yards of my deer stand. One last year and one yesterday. Both were fawns.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I anyone can post an email then I will send you video of two coyotes killing a very large mature whitetail buck on a friends ranch. The camera at the feeder caught the whole thing and the coyotes didn't even have a problem doing it..I watched a single coyote kill and eat a full grown antelope doe. I was with a game warden and he showed me where a Mt. Lion killed a huge 6x7 bull elk..

It chills me when the bunny huggers tell me that preditors only kill the sick and poor, not so those animals die a slow lingering death and then perhaps a preditor will feed on them a little but not a hell of a lot as a rule. They have to awfully hungry..That is because the preditors are one hell of of a lot smarter than the folks spreading that crap...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
keeping the coyote population in under very close control is definitly needed coyotes cause massivle yearly damage to chiken/cattle farms up here and even since i picked up trapping a few years back i sell there pelts for extra ammo,gas money.

heck there was a young woman killed by coyotes not to long ago up here in canada.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why Kill Coyotes????? Cause it is a damnsite easier than screwing one!!!!!!!!!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Well, one reason is that they contrast nicely with my Contender rifles when it's photo time... Big Grin

In all seriousness, the coyote population needs to be kept in check like many other species. I have hunted and trapped them for many of my 47 years and have never grown tired of it. I no longer trap and my hunting is seriously limited, but I try and pop the incidental 'yote every now and then just to keep 'em honest...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only good coyote is a dead one....

what chance does a new born fawn have with these

SOB's in the neighborhood...I never pass up a

shot at a 'yote...got this double while p/doggin

204 @ 497 yds...40 V max....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The original poster is a Bambist troll w/ an agenda.

Eh, you speak with ignorance and insecurity that many have responded with here. thumbdown It is really sad that one can not ask a legitimate conservation question on this forum without the bubbas and joe bobs calling you names, inviting you to kta, and proclaiming their right to kill whatever moves. rotflmo

Posts: 12 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: 01 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm officially retracting my skepticism about coyotes killing deer. I found two carcasses of small does (most likely fawns born in spring 2011) while I was rabbit hunting last week. Both showed evidence that coyotes had at least fed on them, and they weren't there the week after rifle deer season ended so I highly doubt that anybody shot them.

Strangely enough, I'm getting more rabbits in the area. Maybe my local yotes have decided that deer are better eating than bunnies.

Guess it's time to dust off the caller and the .22-250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are coyote pelts of any use?

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee243:
I am not a "preserve all the bugs & bunnies" type person, but I wonder why there is so much attention on the firearms/hunting forums on shooting coyotes as pests? Don't they serve a useful purpose to keep the deer herds thinned out. It seems like many places overpopulation of deer herds is leading to problems. Just askin. lee243

We have lost over 58% [UC Davis Study] of one of the last migrating populations of Colombian black-tailed deer here in Northern California. Our NorCal deer are in a tremendous population dive mostly contributing factors are cougars [illegal to hunt in California], coyotes, and blk bears.

I have lost two new born calves, three sheep and a yearling heifer. Auntie has lost six geese and all the chickens.

Any animal can become a problem and in some cases when the rodents they might have planned on eating get sick and die, they have to seek out new prey to survive. My livestock is where I drew the line. On 456 acres I have shot six in six weeks, missed two

I could have shot more, but when four come in at once and I am using a bolt gun at 200 yards, I am only good enough to kill two [hence the two I missed].

Maybe I do need a black gun with detachable clips. Never thought i would see the day!!!!!!

PLUS.....I have these bastards running a muck for the first time ever! Well, I saw one thirty years ago on the property.

Nope not the same bear. Trust me, one is about 200, the other is over 500.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
My newest ideas:

and I already have two mean little asses like this!

If you ever own one you will know why we call things an ass when we are frustrated with them!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
We are over populated with coyotes where I live. My dad lost 8 lambs and 4 ewes last year. And they took down my cow one night that was calving. I could hear it happening, but I was too scared to go out there, so I waiting til morning and saw the remnants of the attack.
I'd love to take out a couple dozen or so!

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:

They use them to make fur lined collars on winter coats, hats, and some other things. I've been out of fur hunting/trapping for a while so I'm not too sure what fur buyers are giving for a coyote these days.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
quote:
...you speak with ignorance and insecurity that many have responded with here. It is really sad that one can not ask a legitimate conservation question on this forum without the bubbas and joe bobs calling you names, inviting you to kta, and proclaiming their right to kill whatever moves.

This "bubba/joe bob" is impressed that it took you only two months to think up a response.
Legitimate questions get serious responses; those with an agenda won't be convinced otherwise. If that is not the case here, you have been given plenty of evidence why hunting them at every opportunity is needed.

I'll give you one more piece of evidence: Ohio has no closed season or bag limit on coyotes as the ODNR recognizes the nuisance and danger they are.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyVet:
We are over populated with coyotes where I live. My dad lost 8 lambs and 4 ewes last year. And they took down my cow one night that was calving. I could hear it happening, but I was too scared to go out there, so I waiting til morning and saw the remnants of the attack.
I'd love to take out a couple dozen or so!

That makes me sad! So you understand my plight as well.

I will be out this weekend as well. When I stop hearing them and they stay away from the barn the house and the animals I will stop shooting them. Half the ranch is in the canyons and brush and forests; they can have that all and I will leave them alone. The prairie plateaus are mine, the animals are mine, and they need to stay away...period.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:

They use them to make fur lined collars on winter coats, hats, and some other things. I've been out of fur hunting/trapping for a while so I'm not too sure what fur buyers are giving for a coyote these days.

A good northern pelt brought around $60 last year. At one time they were as high as $250 but that was quite a while back. Someone needs to convince Lady Gaga to wear a coyote getup on stage so we can get the demand for hides up.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what kind of mouse is this???

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
and this is why i decided to go trapping full time even on coyotes up here in canada iv been getting up to 105$ a pelt for prime winter fur .....theres no limits and the season is open year round..... even during the summer 30-40$ for a pelt aint bad pays for fuel,ammo,bills,ect.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are always a bunch of sheep and goat ranchers wanting every coyote on the planet exterminated because they might loose a buck ($) or a buck with antlers.
In general the livestock people and that includes a lot of whitetail snipers would have every coyote killed because they trespass on someone's ranch or place to hunt. They are never happy until the land is sterile of all things that cut into their life. So what if a coyote kills fawns. There are millions of deer where I live. There were once bears too. But the bears ate the settlers hogs. So the bears were hunted to extinction. Now there are no bears but the damned feral hogs are taking over.
Kinda ironic.
And city boys, the coyote turds in 3 counties that I hunt in are the gray furry ones that are mostly mice and rats.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I have never done it myself in the past, but didn't look down on anyone who did. That all change recently when my Grandfather's dachshund Rosie ended up on the dinner table for those bastards. She was my Grandfather's dog but in her mind she was mine and I never thought I would care for a little dog but her loss has cut me deeply.

We have always had coyotes on the ranch as you are bound to with 2000 acres. We have never had them this thick though. We are seeing them everywhere and they are coming right up to not just our house but neighbors houses as well. I had a conversation about them just the other day with a cousin of mine who is a real animal lover and lives only a mile away. He and his wife run a "care" center (RezQdogs) for abandoned and or neglected animals in their free time out of their own pocket. Even he said we need to start hunting them because for every peak there is the crash. It is better to thin them out now then to have a bunch of starving, desperate animals looking for a meal anyway they can get it.

It just bothers me that if I had changed my stance on the matter earlier I could have saved little Rosie. So now I am trying to learn to use the various mouth calls and I am eyeing an electronic caller as soon as funds allow. I believe that yote pelts are up to $50 in Billings. Shouldn't take long for me to be able to upgrade my kit.

P.S. As a side note we have had more mice coming into the house this year than anytime I can remember in 20 years. So what the hell are the coyotes eating because their shit that I find sure as hell ain't grey.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post

Shooting coyotes makes excellent off season target practice on an animal that cannot possibly be irradicated. I have tremendous respect for them even though they eat deer and pheasants. They are a challenge to hunt and a great way to scout and meet new landowners. Quite often, the more you shoot one winter, the more you see the next fall. Out of all the hunting I have done, some of my best days a field have came hunting coyotes. Here is a great day...

Called 20 or so, shot 12 times, killed 11 from 100 to 450 yrds,

Cheers,

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I think when the lights go out in the last town on earth a coyote will howl at the moon when it arises. I have lived in southern Arizona for over 30 years and the coyote population has seemed to fluctuate on a regular cycle. When you see lots of rabbits the coyote population is low then within a couple of years you see a lot of coyotes and the rabbit population is low,then it starts again. A wildlife specialist explained it to me that the rabbit is the primary food of the coyote here and the coyote controls it's litter size dependent on the rabbit population and as the rabbit population becomes very large the coyotes have more young and so on and on. I have observed ti=his to be very true. I also live in a large retirement community and one of the favorite dishes of coyotes is cats. Fences here are usually about 4 ft high brick ones and they jump it to feed from animal dishes in the patios. I remember one night I was talking to my daughter long distance and they were really howling and I asked if she could hear them. She said no so I said wait a minute and I will hold the phone out the back door. As I opened the door I hit a coyote in the nose with it. Don't know who was most surprised me or him.I am originally from Mississippi and we never had coyotes. My cousin raises a small flock of turkey for friends to have and he noticed he would come up short one avery couple of days. after 3 were lost he decided to stay up and see what was getting them. He killed a huge coyote the first night. I have also seen them in Ohio near Columbus in a field and my father in law said he had never seen them there in all his life and he was 70+ at the time and this was 30 years ago. I call and shoot them at every opportunity I get. I find it to be great sport and feel no remorse for the lowly coyote.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These threads never get old. do they? Roll Eyes

While the OP may or may not be fishing, it's pretty clear that anyone that goes on a "Hunting" forum and asks why someone would "Hunt" a specific species is at the very least, looking for conflict.
Such is the internet (I guess).
While my passion is Cat hunting, I've certainly killed my share of Coyotes over the years, but any more, on the rare occasion that I do hunt Coyotes, I hunt em when the fur's prime and sell the pelts. I guess it's my way of showing some respect for the creatures I hunt, but I sure don't pass judgement on those that kill em and kick em in the ditch. Truth is, it's a full time job minding my own buisness without throwing someone elses buisness into the equasion.
The one thing I do know however, is that while Coyotes will dang sure take advantage of any meal they can, they get blamed for an awfull lot of stuff they're not responcible for so don't kid your selves into thinking that you're some kind of wildlife conservationist, or ADC man (unless of course you actually are one). For 99% of us it's simply sport hunting.

YMMV, and like I said in the begining of this novel, "it's none of my buisness what the next guy does" as long as it's legal.
As far as morals go, that's up to you.
Charlie

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just can't splain stuff to city folk. Kenny