New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 powder - aa2015?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Rem adl synthetic - stock. Developed load for it 2 yrs ago with vmax 50gr and 27gr w748. The load has been 1/2 moa, and occasionally 1/4moa. But, the sweet spot with this bullet is at 3052fps. Push it more and it opens up. I have ordered Berger 52gr MEF and vmax 55gr to try.
At the range yesterday I shot a 1.5" group with the original load. It was cold, and it may have been me.
I'm looking for this for yote hunting. Talked to another yote hunter. He mentioned that w748 is very erratic in cold, and switched to aa2015 and loves it. He uses the Berger 52gr match for yotes.

Any bad experiances with w748?
How is 2015?

I want more speed with 50 - 55gr pills.

It could also be that the rifle should be floated and bedded, but it has been good, so I didnt touch.

Also, I'm new on this forum. Looks nice. I was "45man" on Shooters

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bughole: I recently assisted a new to Varminting friend in deciding on a Varmint Rifle that would suit his needs. We came up with the Remington 700 ADL (synthetic stocked - as I think they are all these days) in caliber 223 Remington. I went with him this past August and bought the Rifle, the dies and some powder and bullets. I also got a wholesale deal for him on a Leupold 4X12 variable scope to put on it. He has been so delighted with the Rifle. It has shot several 1/2" five shot groups and he has already killed a Bobcat with it! We are both pleased with the accuracy from this sporter weight barreled Varminter! He is getting the Bobcat mounted lifesize! My friend is now on winter vacation in the Rockie Mountains and won't be home until January 6th. I will get his exact load then and relay it to you!
I use AA2015 in 2 of my 223's but the powder is pushing 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips! One of the Rifles is exceptionally accurate and if you are interested in trying the 40 grainers I will relay the load to you. So far with the AA2015 powder I have not noticed any detrimental effects due to temperature variations. I have used these loads in near 100 degree heat (Prairie Doggin) and in the cold down to 20 below zero (Fox & Coyote Hunting). Mind you I am not shooting paper targets in those extremes - I am shooting Varmints so something minor may be occurring. Nothing odd or noticeable though has been happening to my knowledge so far.
I do have a "UNIVERSAL" accuracy load though for 223's and have given it to many, many Varminters over the last 13 years and all have been happy with it so far. Give this load a try and let me know how it shoots for you.
223 Remington - Federal cases - Federal 205M primers - Sierra 50 grain Blitz bullets - 26.5 grains of H4895.
I use this loading in my 24" barreled factory stock Remington 700 PSS - it is especially accurate.
Good luck in settling on an accurate consistent loading!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have had good luck getting my 223 Remington to shoot with 748 powder. However, I am also concerned with the temperature variations that I have noted with both 748 and H335.

My favorite load of H335 behind a 40 grain V-Max varies by way more than a 100 fps on the chronograph when testing at the range and the temperatures heat up here in CA. I have found 748 to do much the same.

Oddly enough, both still shoot good groups even when the velocites are climbing.

I thought I had found the greatest powder going when I tried XMR 2015 with the 50 grain bullets. I was getting really great velocities and good groups. I also seemed to get the same results no matter the temperature. I was very happy, until I ran out of that particular lot of powder. The new lot of XMR 2015 gave pretty darned good groups; BUT, it showed a velocity loss of over 250 fps compared to the previous lot!! That is terrible!!

I rechecked this and that is the way it is. The "new" lot gives over 250 fps less velocity in my .223 than the previous lot and over 150 fps less in my 7TCU. Unacceptable, to say the least!

So, if you want to try XMR 2105 go ahead, I am through messing with it. I have tried a mess of powders in the .223 Remington and am pretty much confused. I am still getting some awfully good groups with old ammo that I loaded with 748 and 50 grain Sierra's. I just feel compelled to get away from that powder.(Actually ALL ball powders due to the temperature fluctuation problems.)

Currently, my testing is showing good results with N 133 powder and 40 grain bullets and Benchmark powder and the 50 grain versions.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of 223's and 223 wildcats over the years and had great luck with H-4895, H-4198, H-322 but the last few years I only use N-133. I get great accuracy, Vel. N-133 is the powder for me in 223. Just got in a new 7TCU barrel and guess what N-133 is what I'm going to give a good try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may experiment w/ 2015, or I have been hearing about Benchmark. But, I have 8lbs of 748. I'll see how the other bullets(52gr berger mef, 55gr vmax) do.
Also, I've considered an HS Precision stock

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Sendaro>
posted
Bughole, Give AA223 powder at try at around 26 to 26.5 grains and a 50 to 53 grain bullet. I think that you will be very pleased. Spark it with a Federal 205M primer, and drive tacks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm suspicious of XMR2015. The granules are different colours, it's quite long so doesn't meter brilliantly, it seems to leave quite a lot of ash in the barrel and in the UK it comes plastered in Czheck stickers crudely covering the torn of US ones.

All in all it just seems a cheaper quality product.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
26gr of H335 and CCI primers with Rem brass has served me well in all temps. Bullet is 55gr V-Max, rifle is a Cooper.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
1894 - I've been a proponent of 2015BR (the original version) in my 223's and 7 TCU, especially, for quite a while. Nothing could match it in the 223's with bullets up to 53 grains, for velocity and accuracy, for instance. The last 2# container from the batch I started with is getting a little low, so, when I started some load workups with my 358, I figured I'd save that for the 223/7TCU, and, opened a new jug of XMR2015. On the label, it says "Formerly 2015BR", BUT, it certainly LOOKS different than the original 2015BR. The granules are definitely longer, and different colors than the 2015BR.

I saw another post in here lately about a major velocity loss with it, as well (I think it was GSF1200?). I guess it's better that way than the other, but, it sure doesn't help the ol' confidence level any. Haven't had a chance to verify the performance level, but, I sure hope the accuracy doesn't go away. According to Accurate Arms, the loading data is supposed to be the same for either one, but, I'm wondering.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had big problems w/ w748 in the cold?
I havent, although havent hunted a lot with it in the cold. I dont use magnum primers, I use fed match.

I have worked the loads up in the cold weather an dthey seem to shoot great. I started this post after being at the range the other day. I shot a 1.25 group and was upset. Someone suggested 2015. I have used w748 for 2yrs. Well, barrel was very dirty. Cleaned, and the other day shot the first 3 shots into 1/4", all touching. This is with the stock Rem synthetic stock. I have an HS Precision stock on the way to try. This gun has 24' sporter barrell. Only thing I dont like with the Rem stock is that I think using a bipod can change the POI with the flimsy stocy touching the barrell

<J.E.Roop>
posted
Try AA 2230 or Hogdon's BLc2-both are great in 223 J.R.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with imr 4198 for the 35gr v-max. 748 and aa2460 does pretty good on the heavy stuff,75gr a-max.Happy Shooting!

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with 28 gr of 748 behind any 40 gr bullet.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, Vith. N133 works very well for accuracy and velocity with the Sierra 50 gr. BlitzKing. If I knew how to post a pic of a target I shot out a clean COLD ( 17 degrees )barrel using N133 last sunday morning I would post it. It went .203 I had never shot that load in cold weather so I put 3 shots in the clip, (788 Remington with a Douglas barrel)set the rifle in the rest, hung a target went inside and fixed breakfast, ate it. Then I went out and shot the 3 shots. They averaged 3354 fps. I can get over 3500 fps with this powder at safe pressures. It just shoots SO GOOD with the load at 3350 avg.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot some exceptional groups recently with 27gr 748 under a 50gr vmax. One 3-shot group in the "1's". That being said, I'm still concerned about coyote hunting with it in extreme cold which we have been having in upstate NY. Also, it seem to owder foul worse in this cold.
I tried 2015. I have a load of 25gr 2015 under a Berger 52gr MEF. Shot half inch. Also, I can have both loads sighted in my rifle - the 748 load prints +2/100, and the 2015 load 0/100. Fair enough. I worked the 2015 load up pretty quickly also in the extreme cold.

<Charlie>
posted
My use of Win 748 showed better velocity than most powders but not as good accuracy as some other powders. 2015BR is now my powder of choice with the 50 gr. VMAX with which I am getting a little over 3400 fps out of a 21 inch Remington factory barrel. This load is used on the higher end of the temperature spectrum, on pasture poodles in 90 to 100 degree temps. Despite some rumbles that 2015 maybe makes excessive pressure at higher temps, I've not noticed any problem with pressure signs. And, it shoots great in my guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .223 comes in different configurations, and barrel twist rate is quite critical in a discussion like this one. You can give me all the powder, bullet, primer, and case manufacturers and I'm happy that you're happy with what you have.
How about completing your discussions with the twist rare od youe barrel, It would be helpful~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 40+ years I've used H322 in my Contender .223 handgun and AA2015 in my two .22-250 XP-100 handguns. Accuracy is 1" or less.
I've taken almost 4000 groundhogs & rockchucks with these 3 guns in that time without any change in accuracy.
I originally used 50 gr. Nos. BTs, but now only 40 gr. BTs.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For 40+ years I've used H322 in my Contender .223 handgun and AA2015 in my two .22-250 XP-100 handguns. Accuracy is 1" or less.

This thread is only half that old.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

This thread is only half that old.

Is there a way to see what year the first post was? There are 3 members in this thread that aren't members anymore, it has to be older than dirt.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a way to see what year the first post was

Yes look at the top of the first post it shows the date and time it was made.

posted 30 December 2002 02:31

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks. When I'm signed in it shows "posted Dec 29, 3:31 PM" It doesn't show the year. But when I sign out, it shows what you posted. It's okay I'm computer stupid rotflmo It must be in my settings maybe, it doesn't matter, I don't post all that much anyway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fixed it, I reset my settings and now it works. Usually I have to get one of my Grandkids to help me figure it out LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron:

It shows 2002 on my heading.

Yep it's an old one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron:

It shows 2002 on my heading.

Yep, it's an old one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote