THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Help with rifle &/or barrel

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with rifle &/or barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have already made my mind up on buying a Winchester Classic stainless/synthetic in 30-06 and need a varmint rifle compliment. I currently own a TC Encore pistol in 44 Mag and have been debating on a TC barrel from D&R Sports Center for $219, a custom barrel $320+forend, or a Savage. As far as the Savage goes, I don't want to carry around a boat anchor, but I do want something stury and accurate. Kind of interested in the 12FVSS (9Lbs), 12VSS (same as previous, but with Choate stock, 11.25Lbs boat anchor) both of which have a heavy stainless fluted barrel, and the 16FSS (standard rifle, 6.5Lbs).

I guess what I am asking is, should I just get a barrel for my TC Encore or get a Savage. The caliber I want is 223 Remington. Anything bigger would just be overkill for where I live...Ohio. I have about $400-$500 to spend. I'm also trying to squeeze out a scope from that too. I know it won't be anything nice, but it's all I can afford for now. I have a 3-12x42 MilDot Sightron I could put either on the 30-06 or the 223.

[ 09-09-2002, 18:54: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savages are good but the triggers are in need of work. The usual fix is an aftermarket trigger for about $80. I would buy a good custom bbl for the Encore along with the carbine kit. As far as the caliber, did you ever consider the .17 Mach IV ? Very accurate and safe. Good for out to 300yds.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote