New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Getting into varmints
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HB;A 223 would be hard to beat due to the cost of ammo and its a decent varmint caliber as well.I have 3 of them so I have a lot of experience with it.The 22-250 is also a great round for critters and I will have a 204 ruger ASAP.I also am a Ruger #1 fan I have a 223 and a 25-06.As varmint guy stated earlier they can be finicky neither of mine shoot factory ammo well due to the bores being over size but shoot flat based bullet handloaded on the warm side very well.Rugers are decent rifles for the money but usually need some tinkering I have a 77II in .280 that is a tack driver with any ammo and all I did to it was a trigger job and glass bed it.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in North Central B.C. so I will be shooting fox, coyote, wolf. That sort of thing woth my Varmint rig.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since wolves are possible you can use a all around game rifle for varmint hunting. There is not a lot of shooting for the varmints you mentioned although there may be crows there.

So if you have no rifles at all now get a 30-06 for everything. If you have a game rifle in the 06 class then get a 243 Win with a sporter weight 22"-24" barrel. A 3-9 scope is a good choice. If your thinking of selling the pelts get back to us on cartridge and bullet choice.

I prefer the M70's for rifles and Leupold VX1's for scopes.

Good luck.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote