THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    SNIPERS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SNIPERS ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

I WATCHED THE HISTORY CHANNEL'S LOOK INTO SNIPERS TONITE! IT WAS VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THE DIFFERENT NUANCES OF THAT PROFECION! I CALL IT THAT BECAUSE I CONSIDER THE SOLDIERS WHO DO SUCH WORK TO BE PROS. I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE SPOTTERS WHO WERE WITH THE SNIPERS USED FOR SPOTTING SCOPES IN TERMS OF THE POWER. THEY WERE PRETTY THOROUGH ON MOST OF THE EQUIPMENT BUT LEFT OUT THAT INFORMATION.
ANYONE BEEN TRAINED IN A SNIPER SCHOOL OR CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE WHAT THEY MIGHT USE? I'M GUESSING IT WOULD BE AT LEAST 30 POWER.

I'M ALWAYS TAKEN AT HOW HARMLESS THESE MEN LOOK ON THE SHOW. AND IMPRESSED WITH THE SOVIET WOMEN MAN HUNTERS.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with a few seals that were training on one of the bases that I was at 3 years ago. Their snipers used 40 to 60 power spoting scopes. It depended on there preference. One thing that they told me was that most of their equipment they used was their own. Hope that this helps.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Dunno what they use now, but a jillion years ago it was the old M49 scope, usually painted green on a silly looking (and quickly discarded) flimsy tripod. IIRC, it was about 20 power. Optics have improved immensely since but I can't advise what's in the current inventory.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies guys ........i'm thinkin that 30 power would probably be the least i'd want to use...

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, TIME magizine had an article immediatey after the beginnings of hostilities in Afganistan (US involvement rather than Russian or any other predating issues) which had a centerfold picture of some special forces types hign in the mountains with what appeared to be a Barrett 50 and low and behold a Leupold 12 x 40 Spotting scope. Yes it was probably personal property, only the best will do.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote