THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Longrange 26cal bullets for yotes and ground hogs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longrange 26cal bullets for yotes and ground hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
now that i have a lathe and mill it's time to start buliding my first "reach out and zap em where there at" rifle. it's a 6.5/06 chambered trued and lapped Remington action, Pac-Nor Super Match 1/8 twist 28" long #7 barrel, 8-32 Burris scope, McMillan Dunlap stock with adj. cheek rest.
i have a few 26cal bullets on hand, 140 & 120 grain Matchkings, 100 & 120 grain SPs, 140 grain Amax.
any sugestions?

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 120 nosler would be a good choice and same with the 129 and 140 sst from hornady. i havent shot any thing with my arch yet but the 120 match king are the best shooters so far. some of the heavy matchkings would do weel too i think.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not seeing a need to go as big as the '06 case, I built one similarly on a 257 Roberts case.

Gives me all the velocity that my friends who have a 6.5/06 Ackley and 6.5 x 284 gets with the same bullet weights.

For flat shooting, reach out and touch someone, I prefer the little Nosler 100 Ballistic Tip or the 100 grain Sierra Hollow Point. Velocity is 3500fps plus. And I have redlined it to 3700 fps. YOU are getting way into the lands of diminishing returns at that point.

If you just want to hit the target at long range, the Sierra 107 grain match bullet is an excellent choice. Does anything the 120s, will do, with less recoil, more velocity and plenty "as good as" accuracy as the 120s ( Nosler, or Match bullets).

good luck with the project.

PS. I went with a 28 inch heavy sporter barrel on mine, from PacNor.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote