New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing Coyote Hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here in SW Montana (Beaverhead County - around Dillon) there is a missing - over due Coyote Hunter.
The local Search & Rescue Team and the Sheriffs Department are looking for him.
The Hunter lives in Hamilton, Montana which is 145 miles from where he was going Coyote Hunting several days ago.
He has not returned.
The Hunter is driving a distinctive vehicle and in the off chance anyone should see it in their travels be sure to call the Beaverhead County Sheriff via 911 from anywhere.
The distinctive vehicle is an older all white Chevrolet Suburban - what makes it distinctive is that the drivers side door is an all black replacement.
So - all white suburban with a black drivers door - if seen call 911 and whoever answers tell them to contact the Beaverhead County, Montana Sheriff with the vehicles location!
It was -26 degrees (26 degrees below zero!) here last night and no word from the missing Hunter.
Prayers offered from here!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG-I hope they can find the fella and soon it was sub 22 here this morn!

Can they get a flight up to at least look for the rig?

Prayers have been sent in from me! Keep us abreast.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski; There have been four small planes pass over my house here near Dillon - today. I have not seen or heard a plane in the last 15 days so I am guessing these flights (or that plane!) is in fact searching for him!
I live about 4 miles from the airport.
I was going to do the Sportsmans Expo in Bozeman tomorrow but with these profanely cold temperatures my friends and I have decided to cancel this years 110 mile foray to your beautiful town!
I was going to stop in Ennis at the Shedhorn Sports shop as well.
Dang.
Yep you are right the intense cold is not helping this situation solve itself!
Its high noon here in Dillon and the temperature is - 10 degrees!
More as it comes in!
By the way the planes (that plane?) was flying low each time it passed. I assume it might be a tad "warmer" near the ground. I can't imagine how cold it is up 4 or 5 thousand feet higher!
I called my friends out in the country to spread the word on the white Suburban with the black door!
Should get off my ass and try to make it to town for some diesel anti-jell additive (I filled my tank some time ago and it was not the "winterized-diesel"!) and go look for him myself!
Did you know that Beavrehead County is the largest county in Montana and some say it is the second largest county in the Lower 48 states!
Alaska has larger "counties" - I beleieve they are called "wards" though.
Anyway the Beaverhead Search and Rescue Team consists of about 45 people that track down "missing", lost and injured folks in our county! I better send them another donation to keep them in fuel and radios and such!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its about 10 above here in southern minn, but no snow. hope there hasn't been to much of the white stuff falling there that would cover things up. those search/rescue teams to one hellova job

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
License number of the white with black door, Suburban is 13-22615 (Montana).
Still not found according to local sources.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my eyes open on this side. Keep us up to date.

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
I hope he is found soon. Sounds like you guys got a real cold snap.

I used to know a guy out of raynesford that had blood hounds. he is a volunteer search and rescue that used to travel all over the state and several other western states. He lived for this kind of thing. I lost track of him several years ago. I am wondering if bloodhounds would be of any use in this kind of weather.

Best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
VG,

They found the guy safe and sound!. He was with his truck eating some emergency food he brought with such an emergency.

His dog was OK too.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snapper & All: Yes the Coyote Hunter was found and is alive!
Hallelujah!
The rest of the story is he spent 10 days and nights stuck out in the BITTER cold!
He was only able to keep himself alive with the aid of warmth from his dog and some ingenious methods. He would heat rocks on his engine and use them to try and stave off the cold (frost bite). He was not successful completely in that. In fact when the airborne searchers found him they originally called for the aid car/ambulance to come retrieve him - the Hunters condition then deteriorated significantly and that call was amended for a life flight helicopter to take him to Missoula!
According to a first hand listener on the emergency radio band here, his extremities were frozen - or frost bitten!
Ten days and nights stuck in a broke down truck in this profane cold, and surviving, is truly a miracle. To add to the endurance test the Hunter was already in poor health before the ordeal began, even though he is only 52 years of age!
Hoping and praying the Hunter saves his fingers, toes and limbs!
Good job Beaverhead County Search & Rescue!
I am going to remember that "heating rocks on the engine" for warmth trick.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad they found him, where did they find him is my question?

Mark D

Snapper-good to see you're still around lets get together one of these days if you come this way.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark R. Dobrenski: They found him 7 miles north/north/west of Wisdom, Montana on Plimpton Creek. Wisdom is at approximately 6,400 feet elevation and the end of the road near Plimpton Creek is about 600 feet higher.
It was 45 degrees below zero there in Wisdom early Friday!
I have a Wolverine spotted not far from a Trail Head there near Plimpton Creek!
My good friend the Trapper who lives in Wisdom was snowshoeing his trapline two years ago near Plimpton Creek. He came upon a trap with a Pine Marten in it. As he approached the trap a Mt. Lion sprung upon him breaking his wrist! The Lion was waiting as well on the trapped animal to figure out how it could be made into a meal!
Bad scene!
All's well that ends well!
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very lucky man. Obviously, he was at least somewhat prepared, which should be a lesson to the rest of us.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank God the Guy was found alive.. and safe...

However, now that this has a happy ending...

Varmint Guy...

Is an all white old Suburban with a black door supposed to be something that is an oddity, or distinctive in Montana???

Aren't about 80% of the vehicles in Montana, old pickups or Suburbans with multi colored body parts and covered with Dents and Mud??? bewildered

Except if you hang around Yuppieville Montana ( Missoula)......then it is Subarus and Range Rovers...( and I am sure if Rolls Royce ever offered a 4 WD option on their cars, there are a couple around Missoula...although Butte is starting to get YUPPIE trendy)...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Glad they found him. Did it make the paper? This would be a good story to pass on to others. I think we all have been guilty of taking little trips that we really weren't equipped for. His dog probably saved his life. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the paper story.
Lost trapper. He did good surviving but make a very bad mistake in not telling anyone where he was going or how long he was going to be gone. If he had told someone those two bits of info he problably would have been found with in 24 hours.
Russ

Posts: 526 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote