New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Bipod Recommendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a bipod to put on my Remington Sendero in .25-06. I am looking for the most useful size for all around shooting (Varmints, antelope, targets, etc.) I would guess prone is the most common position when using a bipod, but would also like to be able to shoot off a bench, truck hood, etc. There are so many sizes available (e.g. 6-9", 9-13", 13-26", etc.). Does anyone have an opinion as to the best all-around size and manufacturer. I am thinking of getting a Harris 9-13" at this point but would consider others as well. Also, do I need an S Series (leveling) or M Series (leg notches)? Very confusing.

Thanks!

[ 10-29-2002, 23:46: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned about all the different Harris bipods at one time or another. The 6-9 is too short for prone, the 9-13 is too high for bench. There is no balance. I finally decided to use the bags for bench and the 13-27 for in the field. I noticed on their web sight that they have a model HB-25 The description says it adjusts from 12-25 in 3pcs. That will be my next one. I never liked the swivel models, just isn't necessary.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting prone, get the 9-13 in the S series. The tilt feature makes a big difference. I have tried the Snipepod, and though it seems to be popular, I didn't like it. The Harris is sturdier and seems to be more user friendly. I have the 13- 25 S series. I shoot prone or sitting. It is a little too tall for shooting from the hood of my truck.I'm 6'tall. They are trouble free for years.Ihave them on my 25.06 and my .223. They have doubled my kills on coyotes. [Wink]

Posts: 92 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought the 13-25 S. Definitely get the swivel feature. It's more of a tilt actually. It allows you to level the rifle/crosshairs when you set up on uneven ground.

As for length, I figured the 13-25 was more versatile. It's a bit high in the prone position, but I adjust for that by bending the legs slightly. If you need to sit, it's definitely good for that position.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
I used the 27" model with my sendero for the last two years. I don't shoot prone because typically the landscape undulates where I hunt. I shoot sitting 90% of the time. The swivel is important because invariably one leg is always sitting in a ditch and alot of times you can't/don't want to screw around with the locking nuts on these bipods which is otherwise required for leveling. Have had successful shots out to 450yards using a bipod.