New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rig on a budget
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
I am a college student-- I wash dishes during the school year and work Trails for the Forest Service during the summer. I don't have alot of cash. Yet here in Bozeman, MT, we have some pretty good p-dog hunting. I am looking for an affordable varmint rig--like under a grand, scoped. Tall order, I know. I like the Rems but the VS looks to perhaps be a little expensive. What about Savage? Or even an NEF single shot?

O and I shoot south paw as well...thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a rifle in the price range of a Savage that would shoot as well. Tried the NEF route awhile back just to do it and found that having to take the rifle down from the shoulder to reload for another quick shot was a pain in the ass. Recommend a 223 or 22-250. 223 brass is cheap and availabe. Cheap to reload. Invest in a reloading press. Take more ammo than you'll ever think you'll need as you will. I go to Wyoming every summer and take 1200 rounds and I'm usually empty by the 4th day.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with the first post. My Savage 10fp in .223 will have all shots touching -- literally -- at 100 metres, for as long as I want to pull the trigger. And that's with an (elderly) Tasco 6-24x44 scope that just keeps hanging in there.

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Third vote for the Savage. A couple of guys bought brand new ones in 223 at the gun show last year, came out to the range and mounted the scopes right there on the bench, sighted in the rifles, and did some surprising shooting. They each had a case of the black hills ammo with the intent of reloading the brass down the road.
Those rifles shot better than a factory rifle has any right to shoot. None of that break in the barrel by cleaning after each shot for them either. Mounted the scope, cleaned the bore real good and started shooting just like they knew what they were doing. I was watching from a couple of benches over and was so impressed by the size of their groups that I went down and talked to them. None of the 5 shot groups that I watched one guy shoot with both rifles were over 1/2" at 100 yards. One guy was a better shot than the other and he did the initial shooting with both rifles. The second guy was shooting egg sized groups at 100, so I didn't count his as showing the potential of the rifle. At 200 they opened up a bit because of the breeze but could still do a head shot on a prarie dog.
They even had low dollar scopes on the rifles. Can't remember the brand but they were about 6-24x with the tall adjustment knobs.
They talked money and we added up the price tag including tax. Rifle, rings, base, scope, bipod, and a cheap soft case was a hair under $600. I don't remember the cost on the ammunition, but at the time I did a quick mental calculation and decided I would be hard pressed to reload for the cost of the black hills 223 ammo.

[ 10-17-2002, 18:26: Message edited by: Bruce Gordon ]

posted Hide Post
Savage 10FP (or FLP for lefties), and a Leupold/Burris/Nikon scope.

Adjust or replace the trigger on the Savage and you will be shooting sub-MOA very soon.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Nothing much to add. The only way to do it cheaper would be to drive over to Missoula and borrow mine!

Savage in .223. Easy, huh?

Redial
'Nother lefty

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I would buy the CZ 527 American in 223 and put a used Leupold on it. Total would be about $700.

<Cobalt>
posted
I agree with Jack. The set trigger on the CZ is probably much better than the stock Savage trigger. The bbls are decent also. I rechambered a CZ 550 in 7x57 to 7x64 and with factory Norma 150's, it shoots less than an inch at 120 yds. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the CZ 527 American in 223. However I would put a Weaver V16 (4-16x44) on it. You can get a V16 on sale for $229 at Natchez and they are very good scopes. Good Luck!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
I don't disagree with the savage, but you might also look at the Ruger M77. Affordable and shoots like a champ, some look a little nicer too, if your conerned with that.

I have a $100 tasco on my 223. It won't be on there too much longer. It gets really fuzzy out around 250 yards. If I could start over again I would start off with a scope that was of a little higher quality.

<FarRight>
posted
Hey thanks guys!

I took a look at the CZs...they also have a 527 varmint with an HS Precision synthetic stock that looks nice too. Just have one question...do they make em left handed? I could fine no mention of south paw bolt guns on their site.

I'll look long and hard at the Savages and price em next time I am at Bob Wards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you know how/where to look, you can find a used lefty at a gun show or on online auction sites, lower price, no tax, and negotiable. If the caliber is not suitable or the bore is worn, beat down the price and find a smith to rebarrel it. For varminting, right handed rifle shoots ok(I am lefty and all my guns are right-handed, except my next one: as new Rem 700BDL lefty ,second-hand, 500$CDN, or 333.33$US)

Folks above said it right, for a factory lefty rifle, a Savage is hard to beat. The hard part is to find a good spotting scope and a rangefinder for cheap, they are essential to succesful groundhog blasting but do not come cheap.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Goob3723>
posted
I too am a college student and just asked this question a couple weeks ago look at (Limited Money). I ended up getting a very very slightly used Savage 12FV(.22-250) with a 4.5-20 Simmons Scope and although I haven't had time to extensively shoot it I have shot it a few times and am very happy with the accuracy so far. If nothing else check out my post from a couple weeks ago and get some more suggestions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey looks like i wasnt the only one. About 2 years ago now i went through the same thing. I ended up buying a semi-used 12bvss in 22/250. And i loved it. You can always throttle down a 22/250 to 223 speeds, but you can never go the other way. I cant say enough on how good that rifle has been to me. Since then, i rebarreled to a 22/250AI for about $175 and i love it even more now. I put a weaver v16 scope on mine and havent had any problems either. Cost?

Rifle $400
Scope $220
Mounts $40
SSS trigger $65

Total: $725

Not a bad deal for a true tackdriver.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MNTNMAN,

Are you shooting the Ruger varmint model or do you have one of the lighter guns? I have a SS/SYN M77 in 300 Win. Mag. that will shoot one-inch groups at 100 yards if I remember not to flinch. I am considering getting a .223 for a practice/fun gun and want to keep the action type the same as my hunting rifle. Any idea on what type of accuracy I can expect from a non-varmint Ruger 77? I was thinking stainless steel and either a synthetic or laminate stock. Thanks,

BTW: I could cycle the action pretty fast on my 300 even though it is right handed action and I am a left handed model. Lets just say I didn�t miss a shot for lack of a loaded gun.

Ben

(Another lefty college student.)

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<MNTNMAN>
posted
Ben, I have the SS w/ Lam stock. No heavy barrels here. Factory ammo will do 1" groups, but with a little work I have a hand load that will do 1/2". But thats only with it clamped down, I cant hold that still. Overall very pleased with the gun.

<green 788>
posted
I would vote for a Savage 10FP in .223... The factory trigger is easily adjustable, or you can simply replace it with an aftermarket one...

Read this link for a couple of Sierra ballistics tech opinions. Keep in mind that these folks shoot more ammo through more types of rifles than the whole of us here will ever do.

http://216.219.200.59/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000298

Should be an easy decision [Wink] ...

Dan Newberry
green 788

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FarRight:
Hey thanks guys!

I took a look at the CZs...they also have a 527 varmint with an HS Precision synthetic stock that looks nice too. Just have one question...do they make em left handed? I could fine no mention of south paw bolt guns on their site.

I'll look long and hard at the Savages and price em next time I am at Bob Wards.

CZ does not (and according to their reply to my e-mail, will not) make LH rifles.

If money is tight, go with the Savage; my 10FLP .223 has taken a couple of thousand prairie dogs in Wyoming, and still shoots .5" groups or better.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
Hey bro, I think Scott has the right idea, including getting it rechambered to 22/250AI. Youre plaaning on reloading anyways, just get a 22/250AI die set and youd be on your way. I also like the Weaver scope idea.

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
How about an AR-15? They're accurate and you can get in a second shot real quick if you miss the first shot. All of the manufacturers of them put out some pretty good quality for under $700.00 new and you could probably pick up a used one between $500.00 and $600.00.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, I have them in 22-250 and .223. The 22-250 is more accurate and more powerfull, but it recoils enough you don't see the impact, with the .223 you can.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Savage 110FP in .223 and CZ (both Varmint and Lux) in 223. Both would be excellent choices. I also own a heavy barel Remington PSS in .308 and a Winchester light Varminter in .223. If they were all the same price I would still take the Savage or CZ. They are both very accurate and with the right loads will do 1/2 moa.

<Dasmoofler>
posted
I may be a bit ignorant here, but wouldn't a .243 or 6mm be better for PD?

<bigbelly>
posted
One vote for the N.E.F. at under $200 n.i.b. and with extra caliber barrels for $65-75 new,how can you go wrong.I would really rather have the savage too,but we were cutting costs here,with only 200 in the rifle the rest can go for a better quality scope and plenty of ammo.after a little trigger clean-up and fire lapping the barrel,mine stays under 1" with most loads.my nef 45-70 keeps at least 3 loads under .5" shooting 5rd groups.just my dumb-ass opinion.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like Savages as well, tough to beat the bang for the buck but I took a different route. I found a good used sporterized M98 for $125.00, refinished the stock and am getting it rebarreled with a Shaw 257 AI, it should be as accurate as any factory gun when its done and the price is still less than a new savage, good looking too! The only thing left to add will be a good scope. This approach can be used satisfactorily with a number of good used rifles.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I would go first choice with a used rem 700 varmiter in 223 or 6mm. You shold be able to find one in good shape for about $400-450. The trigger is good enough and the rifles shoot very well. Next choice would be the CZ, third the savage. However which ever you find a good deal on used I would jump on. I prefer Leupold glass but i have a nikon that costs less that will get the job done. I think under $1000 if you have some time should be easy.

I shoot left-handed and only own right handed guns, my advice shoot a right handed gun, off a bipod as for p. dogs it shouldn't give you a problem and resale is much better. I know several other lefties that do the same.

good luck
mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the Encore and multiple barrels in different calibers will be a lot cheaper than multiple rifles.

Posts: 155 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Flinch>
posted
I just can't get on the Savage band wagon. They are the uglies, sloppies rifles ever made. I don't care if they shoot, I just can't stand shoddy worksmanship. I would look at the Tikka Varmint. VERY nice metal work, but not high grade wood. Very nice fit though. They will shoot and have a very nice adjustable trigger. They are made by Sako and come from the factory with a match barrel. Flinch

one of us
posted Hide Post
FarRight,
Alot of choices here, I'm suprised nobody mentioned the following: The best bang for your buck is a Howa 1500 imported by www.legacysports.com The triggers are fully adjustable with many different configurations available. This is the same rifle Weatherby sold as their Vanguard model. Check out Legacy's website and price them thru your dealer in Montana.(they have a dealer search on the website) You can even buy just a barreled action in SS or blue or a complete rifle. McMillan will inlet some of their Sako model stocks for the Howa action.Boyds gunstocks offers stocks also. Any two pc scope base for the Rem 700 will work on this action. I've seen several custom rifles built on the Howas and they were tack drivers. You should be able to complete your varmint rig well under $1000. MtnHtr

[ 11-01-2002, 05:15: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Hard to beat the Savage for price out of the box. I would save that extra few bucks and buy a Cooper rifle. They are produced right in your neck of the woods. The Cooper rifle is one fine great shooting rifle period.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm another one that can't stand the look and feel of a Savage....

If you're truly on a budget get an NEF Handi-Rifle and learn that you don't need a fast follow up shot because you're supposed to hit your game in a vital area with the first shot and then you can take your time reloading.

If you are looking for a quality rifle that has nice lines and will impress the guys at the range and yet can still be bought for under $600 and that will shoot well under 1" at 100yds, then get a Remington Varmint Synthetic in 223, 243, or 22-250 and own it for several years and then if you need/want to sell it you'll be able to do so quickly and only take a very small loss like $50-$100.

Remingtons look great, keep their value indefinitely, shoot well out of the box, have prestige value, and EVERY gunsmith in the country can work on them and parts are cheap. (None of the above can be said about the Savage except they shoot well if you don't mind spending a lot of time cleaning fouling out of the blasted barrels)

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage and NEF in that order. They're butt ugly but they shoot and that's the point. For that matter I don't really recall seeing too many pure varmint rigs that were handsome.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I myself was in your same situation. The gun I chose was a Howa model 1500, in 22-250. I put a 6-18x40 on it, and it makes less than .5 inch groups. Howas aren't very popular, but they are fantastic shooters.

I bought the barrelled action and the stock seperate, which saved me $90. Boyd's Gunstocks makes a beautiful stock for the Howa.

Let me know if I can help you any further.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote