New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MM Brass!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best 6MM Rem. brass I can buy and where do I find it. Win. & Rem. are the only brands I can find so is one better than the other as far as consistancy and weight. I want to improve the accuracy of my 6MM. Thanks in advance. Dale in Spokane.

Posts: 44 | Location: Deer Park, WA. 99006 | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While a lot of guys will say Winchester, I use Remington brass in most everything (especially "hunting" guns), including my 6mm Rem, and am completely satisfied with it. Accurate, stands up to plenty of trips through the reloading press, etc.

If you're shooting a rifle capable of being competitive in benchrest, then Lapua, Norma, etc may be worthwhile, but you won't notice it in a hunting rifle.

[ 08-26-2002, 17:00: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops...

[ 08-26-2002, 16:59: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
NIKNMAN - If you cut in half a Winchester and Remington case and compare the two, you will see that the Winchester has a thicker web. I have also found that after I do all my case prep work that Winchester cases are closer in average weight than Remington. Another problem that I continually encounter with Remington brass is enlarging primer pockets due in part to a thinner web. I push most of my 6mm loads to near max pressure and I reload the cases until they die. I do a lot of LR varmint and target shooting with my 6mm Rem and I have found that Winchester brass holds up well.

Cabela�s, Sinclair, and Midway carry bulk Winchester brass in 6mm from time to time. Remington brass always seems to be available.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I like the Winchester too but it can be hard to find sometimes. I really HATE the Rem nickel, though!

I run them up hot too and the primer pockets seem to loosen faster on the Rem brass, as noted above.

For non-benchrest use, either will work.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Across the board I use Winchester if they make it. I have found it is consistant, nicely workable and when necessary will aneal very nicely also. My secone choice is Norma, this is generally in the bigger calibers. I have found Remington to excessively thick and with higher pressure cartridges it flows ALOT. If you need super accuracy I have had to outside neck turn cases everytime I shot them, i.e. 220 Swift, 6MM, 270 Winchester(depending on load).

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest brass to resize is Norma. I use Norma 7mm Mauser and run it through a 6mm Remington FL die. I,ve also used 30/06 Lapua cases but it takes a little more work and you have to turn and trim the brass. I shoot a 6mm Rem AI and have used Winchester cases in a benchrest match. I've had better luck with Winchester brass woth 500 Meter accuracy than Remington. Good luck and good shooting, The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I agree with the Big Dog,
Start out with 7 Mauser brass, run thru your sizer slowly until a case just fits with a slight push on the bolt.. get perfect headspaced cases. Have done the same thing with 7mm into .257 Robts. cases. Have had good luck with both brands. For me Rem. cases are better in some calibers like the .22/250, but Winchester brass lasts longer for me in the .25/06. Go figure. Nickel brass is crap but looks nice to some, and Federal brass isn't any better than the other two in my opinion except it usually costs more if you can find it. My only gripe about Winchester brass is that the necks got too thick after 2 firings in my .22/250 and the Rem. cases never neede reaming. FWIW

Dan