Find
Notify
Tools

Ground squirrel video
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I don't know if I ever posted this before. This is a short video my brother and I made a couple of years ago on a varmint hunt here in Bakersfield. Some of the shots were out to 300 yards so they're a little tough to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8Gd4QLbto#comment

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the sound of exploding varmints in the morning.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Frank,

It sure sounded like one (or more) of the rifles was an AR-15. Am I correct?

I played it several times. Very well done.

Thanks from someone who is addicted to the "feed back" from a good shot. Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Here's a good link that was on that page... about Eagles coming out and eating exploded sage rats...We have that up here in Oregon all the time.. the gunfire attracts the Eagles and occasionally buzzards and sea gulls....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5echFY39Z5o&feature=related

Frank that shows some our eastern brothers on how much fun exploding sage rats can be....
Prairie doggin' is great, but sage rats offer a much more target rich environment and their are millions of them annually...

on your video, I saw some good flyers, but no real explosions...Do you use hollow points? the video needs more e x p l o s i o n s...
banana... BOOM

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire2:
Now imagine the possibilities for those hungry scavengers to develop lead poisoning and the cumulative effects of that lead poisoning on wildlife populations of various species. That's a big part of the motivation behind the efforts to ban lead from hunting ammunition. No, I'm not saying that lead poisoning is now a serious threat to scavenger species. I simply don't know the size or probability of the problem. But it is a matter of public record that the political class in California responded by banning lead in ammunition used in varmint hunting. I grant that, for many who supported the lead ban, concern about possible lead poisoning was mere rationalization to distract from actual anti-gun and anti-hunting motives. Certain European countries have already forbidden hunting ammunition that contains lead or limited its use. The lead issue is out there and we, the hunting fraternity, had better pay more attention to it. If we don't pay attention to the lead issue, the U.S. political class will follow the bidding of those who now and will in future exploit the lead issue to the detriment of our Second Amendment rights and our hunting privileges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ain't no lead left in them varmits - in fact the ain't much varmit left in em either

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultimately "varmint videos" will be the demise of prairie dog shooting here in CO even if we dodge it this time around (end of this week) it will come back.
Not everything we do needs to be filmed.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Frank,

It sure sounded like one (or more) of the rifles was an AR-15. Am I correct?

I played it several times. Very well done.

Thanks from someone who is addicted to the "feed back" from a good shot. Big Grin

Jim

Good ear, my brother was shooting an AR in 5.56 and I was using a bolt action Savage in 22.250.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwentyTwo:
seafire2:
Now imagine the possibilities for those hungry scavengers to develop lead poisoning and the cumulative effects of that lead poisoning on wildlife populations of various species. That's a big part of the motivation behind the efforts to ban lead from hunting ammunition. No, I'm not saying that lead poisoning is now a serious threat to scavenger species. I simply don't know the size or probability of the problem. But it is a matter of public record that the political class in California responded by banning lead in ammunition used in varmint hunting. I grant that, for many who supported the lead ban, concern about possible lead poisoning was mere rationalization to distract from actual anti-gun and anti-hunting motives. Certain European countries have already forbidden hunting ammunition that contains lead or limited its use. The lead issue is out there and we, the hunting fraternity, had better pay more attention to it. If we don't pay attention to the lead issue, the U.S. political class will follow the bidding of those who now and will in future exploit the lead issue to the detriment of our Second Amendment rights and our hunting privileges.

As Butchloc pointed out, there is not much lead left in them at all.. and also, many bullets are available that have minimal amounts of lead in them at all.. I use a lot of Hollow Points, that contain minimal lead... but exploding sage rats, the bullets are passing thru them...

I would get concerned over lead poisoning of Eagles and even hawks and falcons... but when it comes to buzzards, seagulls and crows.. for some reason, I just can't seem to get too worked up over it...

as skb2706 says, I am more concerned about videos of exploding varmints help getting prairie dog shooting banned in Colorado, which will mean those anti hunting and anti gun nitwits will be trying the same BS in other states mext...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Cool video!!!
Good camera work too.

Thanks for the post.
It made my day!!!

Don