New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber vs Cooper
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that I've retired I have time to do a little groundhog hunting. I want to get a 223. I have narrowed my choices to a Kimber Super Varmint or a Cooper Phoenix. Which do you seasoned varminters feel is the best choice. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no current Kimber model called Super Varmint. There is a Pro Varmint, sporter style laminated stock, medium heavy SS fluted bbl. Short Varmint Target (SVT) with an incredible laminated stock, short heavy fluted SS barrel. Longmaster Classic, a sporter style walnut stock with medium heavy SS fluted barrel. Expect very good accuracy on the Kimbers. Don't know what to tell you about the Coopers, I don't have any experience there.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS: You are sure going to cut a handsome figure out there in the Varmint fields of Pennsylvania land with either of those Rifles!
I have shot along side many Cooper Rifles and they have been universally accurate!
I have never owned one myself.
I do shoot some older Kimbers (Kimber of Oregon or perhaps the models before that?) - they shoot real well for me. I also have a newer Kimber rimfire Varminter - its the Model 22 HS (Hunter/Silhouette) again this Kimber is handsome, well made, accurate, consistent and no problems with it so far either!
I have one Kimber called the "Ultra-Varmint" and it is just a "gem" of a Rifle!
It is in caliber 221 Remington Fireball.
Excellent trigger and rather accurate!
Based on conjecture, reputation, looks, reported accuracy, factory service and investment quality - I think I would be tempted to go with the Cooper if I were in your position.
If a "good" deal came up on the Kimber I would not hesitate to go with that brand either.
Best of luck with which ever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Own both, shoot both and am buying Coopers now. They just represent a step up in absolute quality to me. That's MHO

Can't really loose either way, and the .223 is the right choice.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaroninutah: You're correct. The Kimber I liked was indeed the Pro Varmint. I guess the "super" was a senior moment. Thanks to all! cheers

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Kimber in .223 but don't remember the model. It was a single shot but was light and had enough barrel whip that I couldn't see the Prarie Dogs seperate into pieces. I have two Coopers in the varmint weight class and love them. One is a .223 the other a .25WSSM.

Both rifles are (were) very accurate.

Posts: 53 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cooper without hesitation.

Posts: 116 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber Longmaster Classic in .223. Recently purchased, went looking for a Cooper in a classic stock, don't care for the wide bench rest forend. Not only is it a great looking rifle, it is very accurate. I'm shooting Black Hills (blue box) and obtainig under .5" at 100yds. Paid $950, the Coopers are typically $200+ more.

Posts: 57 | Location: Leraysville, Pa. | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am new to this forum. Strictly a varmint
hunter. I own a Cooper Varminter in 222.
Most accurate rifle I own. Have some FRiends
who own Kimbers. Have shot theem.I'll stick
with my Cooper.

rx

posted Hide Post
The only problem with coopers is having to wait, i orderd a varminter earlier this year, its due any time now but it is tough waiting so long. I have a friend who shoots one in .223 first time out for a bit of paper work, he showed me how to put 3 bullets in the same hole at 100yds from that moment it was love at first sight.

Work is the curse of the shooting man.

Posts: 23 | Location: UK | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coopers win hands down...You can speak with someone knowledgeable when you call, get straight answers and their work for me has been second to none..THE best bargain out there...quality second to none...

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I own two Kimber Rifles and two handguns. Kimber is a fine poduuct but the Coopers I have shot are a step above the kimbers. My hunting partners father in-law builds all the actions for cooper. They are great guns! I purchased a Kimber Varmint in .204 Ruger I shoot .336 to .394 five shoot groups at 100 yards very consistantly. If it does not shoot under .400 I know it is me.

I purchaed the Kimber .204 because I could not find a Phoenix and did not want to wait.

Semper FI

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
The Cooper is without a doubt the better quality rifle. The only advantage besides price that the Kimber's enjoy is that they are repeaters.

You should be happy with either.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a 223 I would not want to carry around a heavy barreled gun. Not sure what the weight of the Cooper is but the Kimbers are not all that heavy.

If you get a lot of shots at pests per hour then the 223 is ideal. I don't anymore as the coyotes have ruined the chuck hunting. I carry a 243 now with full and reduced loads but have 219 rcbs and 220 swift varminters as well. I much prefer the longer range of the bigger cases.

Coopers only came in single shot til very recently. Not sure if they have a repeater in 223 yet but I think they have one in the 308 case series.

Coopers have a three shot accuracy guarantee of .5" at 100 yds with selected handloads. I don't think that Kimber has an accuracy spec. close to that but they should shoot about the same rifle weight wise. One would have to give Cooper the edge there of course.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the Pro Varmint Kimber

And here is the Varmint model.

Kimber

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want a Cooper but dont want to wait
try gunsamerica.com. Got mine in 3 days.

rx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get a .510 5 shot group out of standardCZ 527 in .223. I like it a lot. My father in law has a cooper in 22250 and that is a different ball game.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help guys. I solved the problem the only way that made sense to me. I ordered a Cooper Phoenix and bought the Kimber Longmaster Varmint the dealer had. Strange to my wife but perfectly logical to me! dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS: YOU, are'da man!
Best of luck with BOTH Rifles!
And your solution is after my heart in every way!
So logical and so, so, so.... appealing to me!
Be sure to let us know how they both shoot.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of varmonter
posted Hide Post
man i like the way you think.
here is my kimber.84m varmint 204
shoots bugholes.

Posts: 5 | Location: North of the Lamoille | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good way to resolve the dilema, LJS. I have two of each rifle and for sheer accuracy, prefer the Coopers. My .22-250 is a Cooper Custom Classic that weighs 10.5 lbs with scope and easily meets the guarantee of 1/2" accuracy at 100 yds. On the other hand, my .243 Kimber Montana weighs a little over half the weight of the Cooper, and shoots 3/4" groups. I used it this fall on a marmot hunt at over 12000' elevation to knock two off the same rock at 566 lasered yards. They are both great rifles for their intended uses.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote