THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Price Check: 1978 Remington 700 Varmint

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price Check: 1978 Remington 700 Varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The local gun shop has a Remington 700 Varmint/heavy barrel 1978 production. The gun is in cherry condition. I checked the rifling, bolt face, chamber and crown and see there was very little use of the gun. It has the classic black end capped wood stock with raised comb. The dealer wants $499, but said he would "work with me".

Like always, I want the gun, but don't want to be had. Comparing prices to more current BDL versions, I think $300 is more reasonable.

Also, I read a few articles that stated there was a defect in the safety mechanism that would cause the gun to fire when the safety was released. Remington has a recall on guns from 1978 to 1983 for this problem. I might be able to use this point of fact as a negotiation tool. Later I could return the rifle to Remongton to have it corrected. What do you all think.

Also again, I noticed the rifle didn't have a recessed crown. The rifling stopped flat, but evenly without wear or damage. Any comments on this?

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flat cut on the muzzle is the standard Remington style and no cause for concern. My Varmint style Remington's are very accurate.
Your price estimate is a bit low, and your gunshop owner is a bit optimistic so I suggest you try to meet in the middle. If you can get the rifle in the $375-400 range, you'll probably be doing okay- especially in the condition you say it is in.

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: I was just at a Gunshow in Missoula, Montana this past weekend and there was a fellow there selling Remington 700 short actions (just the actions now!) for $400.00 each! He had two of them so marked price wise and if either of them had been $300.00 for just the action I would have paid that! I assume your Remington Varmint Rifle is a short action model (you did not mention the caliber). So it has an action price alone of around $325.00 - if in excellent shape!
Now to your trigger situation interpretation. Remington has no recall of their Model 700 triggers that I am aware of! They do offer a conversion (at your cost and your postage!) to convert the Model 700 ADLs (they have no floor plate) trigger that allows cycling the ammunition out of the magazine with the safety in the "ON SAFE" position. I think the term RECALL in your post is not correct.
Now more on the cost! If that used Rifle has scope bases and rings and a gun case and maybe some ammo with it and the leades of the rifling are still sharp and is in caliber 222 Remington it may be worth $425.00 to $450.00 in my mind. If it is 22-250 or 243 similarly described by me with the extras I would go $420.00 tops. Otherwise money may be gambled on accuracy or better "invested" (spent) by buying a new Remington 700 VLS (for more moola also) at around $535.00! You may have to wheel and deal to get this price but I know it can be done.
That vintage of Remington Varminters were very accurate Rifles. I have owned a bunch of them!
Good luck with whichever you decide to try!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fur,
I love that era of Remington's. I paid $500.00 for one in .22-250 about five years ago but it had a Tasco Unertl type scope on it. I have never seen a scope like that since.
I recently bought one in .243 for $550 and saw another in .223 for $500. Seem's like the going price around here. I think the current VLS model sell's for not much more than that. Not sure.
My boss had a 700 in 6mm that I took to a gunshop for him. Not really a "recall". It was for safety work and cost bossman $20.00 but they gave him a coupon for same amount. Johnny K.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle chambered in .22-250. I mean't to say I'd ofer $400, not $300 as I posted early. I have heard alot of good things about rifles made in this era, craftsmanship and accuracy wise, however there are cases that support evidence to the contrary concerning the craftsmanship. I found the following articles that report all the hub bub surrounding this era of 700 rem rifles.

"REMINGTON

MODEL 700,CENTER FIRE RIFLES MFG BEFORE 1982

MODEL 600, 660, 721, 722 40-X RIFLES MFG BEFORE MARCH 1982

MODEL XP-100 TARGET PISTOL MFG BEFORE FEBRUARY 1975

RECALL: Remington Arms Company, Inc. is offering a safety modification program for certain bolt-action centerfire firearms manufactured prior to 1982, including the Model 700, Model 600, 660, 721, 722, 40-X bolt-action rifles (made before March 1982) and Model XP-100 target pistols made before February 1975.

These firearms have a feature known as a bolt-lock that requires the safety to be placed in the �off� position in order to unload the gun. If you participated in this program, your firearm will be modified to eliminate the bolt-lock feature. The operation of your gun will not be otherwise affected.

If you want assistance, call Remington�s toll-free consumer hotline at (877) 387-6691. To learn more about the 1979 safety recall, check our website at www.remington.com.

Offer valid through December 31, 2002

Remington

870 Remington Drive

Madison, North Carolina 27025-0700

Source:

North American Hunter, August 2002; page 103"

http://www.citizen.org/congress/civjus/tort/articles.cfm?ID=835

http://www.detnews.com/2003/specialreport/0312/16/a13-7201.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fur, I've got a 17Rem from that era with the same "bolt-lock" feature you mention above. I've never had a problem with mine and by no means would pass up a good deal because of this recall. However, because of the recall, I am always extra careful where I have it pointed when the rifle is being unloaded. I chose not to send mine back simply because I would have had to pay the shipping and was concerned about getting the rifle back in the same condition as I sent it.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: I went to the site (www.remington.com) you (or someone) designated as leading to the "Remington 700 factory trigger recall" information and it explained in great detail the "Safety Modification Program" that can be had for $20.00 of your money up front! The company does offer some $20.00 rebate certificate to be used in conjunction with cash to purchase other Remington products. Nothing what so ever was said in regards to a recall of the trigger! There is a detailed description of what the modification would allow owners of those older Rifles to do if they want to pay for the shipping and the conversion. Perhaps we are dealing with semantics here but I just had a "recall" on one of my GM cars last month! They paid for the parts and labor to repair that "recalled" car! This modification you PAY for if YOU want it done!
I wonder if the North American Hunter Magazine also misinterpreted this conversion program as being a recall back when the article was written in 2,002?
I was aware of the modification program when it was first offered and I never heard of it referred to as a Remington Factory Recall.
To find the info on this program use your provided site address and click on safety and look for info on the Model 700 Safety Conversion Program.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 in 30/06 made in 1981 and it has discharged 5 or 6 times on its own, especially when unloading it.

Thank God no one was ever hurt with it, but I never trusted the darn thing and warned others when I let them use the rifle. Ethically I could not just take it down and unload it.

I finally, after letting it just sit for almost 10 yrs, had the barrel spun off and had it rechambered to a 6mm Remington.
With the long action, I can seat Target bullets way out. The barrel was ordered in Stainless with a one in 8 twist.

I had this done to this rifle, because in a target application I use it as a single shot.. That way I do not have to worry about it going off on its own.

It has really soured me toward Remington rifles for a long long time. I finally got over it, but a rifle discharging on its own is a scary thing to have around.

Last year another friend had a 6mm Remington in a Ruger 77 Mk 1. She had put it in her truck with the safety on, and the barrel pointing toward the ceiling. Based on the problems I had had with that Remington, I always have a habit of leaving the bolt open with no round chambered instead of relying on the safety.

So as I moved the bolt to unchamber the round, without touching the trigger, the rifle went off and blew out the back window in her truck. Thank God No one was hurt.

However, I still carry a rifle with the bolt removed when ever I transport a rifle when I am in the field. I even carry the rifle with the bolt open when hunting, and only chamber a round when I am ready to discharge the firearm.

Other than that, I trust the open bolt a lot more than I trust a safety. I like Ruger Mk 2s and Winchesters because of the bolt being so easy to remove. The only Remington's I will own are in a varmint configuration, because I shoot them as single shots.

I don't know Remingtons for others to carry, I just don't trust them for my personal use.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, now that I think about it, you are correct. I termed it a recall in my email only because that is what they called it when I talked to them. A recall, in my opinion, is something the company notifies all it's customers about who have purchased that particular item and then does the work for free. I would never have known about the issue if I hadn't called them with specific questions about my rifle after giving them the serial number. That said, I still have never had one discharge on me, but then again I usually do what Seafire mentioned; load only when ready to fire. Can't say the same for my 300 RUM BDL-SS that I bought in 1999. I had it go off once when closing the bolt during bear season, but I won't start up that discussion again.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That era varmint rifles from Remington were great shooters and easily worth $400.00 if not more with your description. If you are worried about the trigger, pass on sending it in for repair as it will come back with a 50lb pull. Good after market triggers are available from several sources--- Shilen, Timney, Jewell etc. and easily installed by a novice.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: Yes thank goodness the windows and your eardrums were the only things "hurt" that day!
I am at a loss for words on your 30/06 and its continued misfiring! I think about the second time that happened I would have replaced that trigger!
Seafire, do you know if that Remingtons trigger was ever adjusted or modified somehow. The reason I ask is because of all the Remingtons I have owned and the small horde I still have today I have never had a problem like you mention. I would still shit can that trigger as if (heaven forbid) you should somehow leave us or become incapacitated that Rifle might get into a strangers hands and .... well we can all imagine a 6mm bullet and the damage it could do.
I would send it back to Remington after you remove it for their perusal. Meanwhile be careful and shoot safe.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think we are splitting hairs on this recall issue. The guns have a propensity to discharge because of a bolt lock design feature on the older guns. I want to use this as a negotiation tool with the dealer, and not piss and moan about what constitutes a bonafide recall on the forum because I think of recall the same as you. BTW, the recall isn't on the trigger, it is on the safety mechanism. (There we go splitting hairs again )

one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: It is not a recall! There is no recall on the Remington 700 triggers! Whether you think it is on the trigger or the safety! There is no recall! It is a product modification offer at your expense! I sold firearms for fun and profit for more than two decades and with what I know about the present market I am sure that dealer almost certainly knows he has a very desirable item in that vintage Remington Varminter. Remingtons 700's have a VERY strong resale value and that is known virtually throughout the firearm markets.
Perhaps you would rather buy a used savage?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your missing the forrest by looking too much at the trees here. I agree with you on the recall issue. The recall is not a bonifide recall, Remington uses the term as a misnomer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found another posting off huntamerica that sheds some light on the Rem 700 mecanical problem. Varmint Guy, be advized, this guy says "recall"! But we will forgive him since he is probably just restating Remington's misnomer.

"The Recall extends from *ALL* C/F B/A rifles produced by RAC from 1948 to 1982 built under the "Walker" Patent, with the exception of certain 40X target models (without a safety) and the M/725 which already utilized a 3 POS!

If you choose to look Remington has current recalls on the M/710 which also employs another version of the Walker fire control with a trigger connector....

BTW, the "Safety Design Flaw" is not the safety, its the two piece trigger! One factor compounded the other, because you cannot unload the arm with the safety in the on position with the internal componants of the system blocked in the pre 82 models, if the trigger malfunctions and fails to return to sear support then releasing the safety fires the rifle....

Merle (Mike) Walker identified this potential condition as early as 1946 in the concept stage of the design and in 1947 during their pilot line inspections Wayne Leek identified/verfied the malfunctions which in fact materialized in the new line of B/A rifles Remington released to the public in 1948 (M/721 & M/722)"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Flop 4 "c notes" down on the counter and he'll probably take it and then take it home and "Sweet's" the bore and then go shoot the darn thing and be impressed!!! He may pressure you for an extra "Jackson" and if he does, that's all right to give him one!!! Anymore and I'd get me a VLS new in the box for 535 or 540 as VG says!!!! I bought one of the same model in 243Win last June for $450.00 ......and it had a 3x9 Leupold on it that I sold for $190.00!!!! Only would shoot in the .3's!! So I rechambered it to 243AI and sold it for $800.00 with a Tasco 6x24 on it!!! Was still shooting in the .3's though!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: Darn, it looks like the savage will probably suit your needs better! Scamming the dealer with inaccurate info about a recall may or may not save you $50.00 but it might get another round of rumors oing.
By the way I just got off the phone with the Parts and Service Department of the Remington Arms Company (1-800-243-9700) there is no recall of the Remington 700 trigger or safety or combination there of! Period.
The product modification offer at your expense IS still in effect for the early 700 Rifles.
I was already quite aware that there is in effect an actual "RECALL" of the Remington 710 trigger. We were conversing about the Remington Model 700 trigger/safety though, were we not?
I have read extensively the actual lawsuits that over the decades have been brought against the Remington Arms Company regarding their Model 700's - as well as studied the technical drawings and legal explanations pro and con regarding this trigger/safety, ad nauseum (until I was blue in the face). In addition I have spoken face to face with a father who recently lost his son due to "this inherently faulty trigger". In addition I have communicated with people who a short time after the tragic incident in question went to the Sheriffs office where this "faulty" Rifle/trigger/safety has been stored as evidence since that tragic incident occurred. They went there for the sole and specific purpose of trying to make that Rifle discharge accidentally! The lawyer for the family of the young victim and an expert designated by the family along with an expert from the Remington Company and their legal counsel and the Sheriff could not make that Rifle accidentally discharge! It is my understanding that they tried to cause an A.D. for quite some time! There are usually two sides to every story I guess is what I am saying in this regard and others.
I have studied dilligently both sides of this argument and continue to this day to use the Remington 700 Rifle/trigger/safety combos on a weekly basis. In addition I have in the recent past purchased for the use of my two youngest sons, each, their own Remington Model 700! In addition I have made every effort to instill and teach them safe gun handling. In addition I allowed the State of Montana to instruct them in Firearms safety. In addition I pray for no accidental discharges from any firearm, on occassion.
I worked for 29 years with a work force of 1,200 above average intelligence people (tested!) who carried firearms 24 hours a day. During those 29 years I kept track and more than 20 of my co-workers were shot "accidentally" by their own guns! Every one of those firearms was then immediately tested for safe function! And exactly NONE were found to be defective! All incidents were found to be HUMAN ERROR (unsafe gun handling - I thought it was unloaded, I forgot I cocked it etc etc etc), poor holster design, poor choice of concealed carry gun position (I sat on my hideout derringer and it went off - at least 4 of these by the way!) and on and on.
Bottom line is carry and handle a Remington 700 in a safe manner and only have an expert adjust the trigger and you should be safe. But having said that, my advice to you is if you have that much doubt about the Remington 700 trigger you had best go with the savage or some other Rifle YOU have confidence in.
But remember this - there is no factory RECALL of the Remington 700 trigger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own quite a few Remington rifles from the era you mention,
eight, of which 4 are varminters. Even allowing for the triggers, I much prefer them to the rifles they are producing today. Most Remington rifles of that day were excellent shooters, and didn't come with 8lb. trigger pulls. Remington still had decent quality control experts instead of lawyers and bean counters. Because of an aging population there are quite a few good, used rifles out there. Even if you have to change the barrel you'll have a good shooter for life. This is merely my own opinion, but I'm not convinced that newer is necessarily better. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious...

While the Blue Book of Gun Values lists a 100% Remington 700 Varmint Special around $480, I don't think you are getting rooked even if you had to pay $500. I suppose it depends on where you live, the demand for rifles like this, and certainly caliber. I am going to pay more than $500 for a Remington 700 Varmint Special in .222. The reasons being, I have wanted one for a while, they are not plentiful (or even seen for sale often) where I live, in ANY caliber nevermind .222, and a new BDL in .222 is not offered in the configuration I want. I think the CZ 527 in .222 would be great, but the Varmint Special had some accurizing and a guaranteed performance record that I would be gambling on if I bought the CZ -- not to discount the CZ in the slightest, just that pretty much any new large new manufacturer gun is an unknown.

At a gun show this past weekend, I saw a Remington 600 Mohawk in .222 for $595 that looked like it had been used as a pogo stick , so I don't feel too bad about the fact that I am paying top dollar for a Varmint Special in excellent condition.

My point is, if your finances allow, my mantra has become "don't bother haggling over a relatively small amount if it is the gun you want". I have walked away a couple times, only to wish I had just spent the extra cash. Certainly, I would try to get the best deal possible, and I understand not wanting to be "had", just realize that walking out over a $50 +/- difference might leave you wishing you hadn't later on. Who knows? Maybe if you jokingly tell the guy that you know you are paying a premium price, he'll feel bad and throw in some brass or dies...or not.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the gun today for $420! I told the dealer, who I went to high school with, that I researched the asking price on these forums and he agreed to the lower price.

Like you said Bug, paying $20 more dollars for a highly desired gun doesn't make a difference.

Thanks guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work; I think you got a really good deal at $420. Firearms in general seem to retain a good bit of their value, at least for retail -- trades are another thing entirely. Have fun shooting...can't wait to get my hands on mine...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll et you know how she shoots!

I like the shorter 24" barrel and the rifle seems to be lighter weight than the Rem 700 VS I had. I hunt: hogs, coyotes, fox, and whatever critter of opportunity might come by. So, I'm probably going to to utilize the gun as a short range stalker (short range as in my distance to a vehicle).

Then I get to load develop for it this spring too, oh goody a new project!

posted Hide Post
I purchased a Remington Varmint Special in .222 in 1981. It has always been my favorite rifle due to its accuracy potential and slight recoil. It will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups all day long providing I do my part. Only twice in the last 23 years has it fired when not expected. This when I closed the bolt on a newly inserted round. I always blamed it on a high primer as most everything I shoot is handloaded. Still feel it's an exceptionally safe rifle and well worth the money spent.

My other Rem Varmint Special is a .243 that I bought in l968 and is almost as accurate as the little .222.

Posts: 14 | Location: North Babylon, NY, U.S.A. | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FURocious: I am glad you got that Rifle! I have had a bunch from that era and they all shot well!
Let us know if you need load suggestions I have a couple favorite loads for my various 243's that really humm! Let me know what bullet you are interested in and we'll go from there!
Good luck with the new Rifle/project.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
What designates the rifle as a Varmint Special? In other words, other than a heavy barrel, are there any other distinguishing characteristics/markings on the rifle? Does it say Varmint Special somewhere? Just curious.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem 700 VS .22-250. Bought the rifle back in 95 and traded it off last year for a 300WSM. Over the past couple years, I've gone from "range hound" to field/hunting shooting and found the gun to be too big and heavy for what I was wanting to do with it (And that was walking my fields looking for for coyotes and fox, and moving around in the cab of the truck).

Now I go to Texas every year and shoot hogs, got 9 last year. So, I like going with the smaller/lighter guns (A-bolt stalkers, Ar-15) and I have been having a "blast" ever since. So, I see this little vintage beauty on the wall and see I can have my .22-250 caliber back in the way I can use it.

With that said, I've pulled my dies out of storage along with my Varget and H4895.

I used to load:

Powder: 36gr Varget

Bullet: 55gr Vmax

Case: Win

Primer Win

Velocity 26" barrel: 3660 on an 80 degree day.

I'll play around with Varget and H4895. I've been spoiled for the last few years with the A-bolts equipped with the BOSS. SO, no longer can I just make something hot and safe and leave the rest to the BOSS. Now, I'll go back to the good old way of load development. Sounds fun!

And the best thing about this new gun is now I basically got it for free. Had a great game of poker earlier tonight!