Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 vs. 22-250 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm in the process of building a new varmint rifle and have decided on 22-250 but need advice on whether or not to ream the chamber for "improved" version.

Advice/comments/experiences please.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<danev2>
posted
I would run the standard 22-250 first, it's a great round all by itself.
Then save a few pieces of brass for fire forming later.
Later being when you shoot the barrel out, and need to rebarrel, then go to 22-250AI

<bullseye>
posted
I had a 22-250 AI and worked up several rounds with it.I really never was that satisfied with it.I shot with a buddy that had a .220 Swift and I didn't shoot any faster than he could.About the same fps. Fireforming brass and brass prep is a real time consuming pain in the rear.I removed the barrel and had Hart rifle barrels re-barrel it and chamber it for .220 Swift. I couldn't be happier.I shoot a .50 grain Sierra Blitzking 4000 fps. and group at .300 all day everyday.That chambering and Hart Rifle Barrels are a serious force to deal with. I wish I had all that time I spent piddling with the 22-250 AI back.The only thing I can see real gains in over a .220 Swift in .22 caliber is a 6mm-22(Texas Trophy Hunter).However I have no personal experience with the TTH. Just my two cents...

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Look at the 22 cheetah, it is faster than the swift, or, go for the swift improved. Fireforming the 22-250 AI isn't difficult you just fire regular 22-250 stuff through it, and case prep is no different than any other caliber. If you are out hunting and lose your handloads, you can walk into po-dunk junction and find 22-250 ammo most anywhere. Because of the 40 degree shoulder of the AI, the majority of the burn occurs in the case so barrel life is a little prolonged, you can expect 7-14 percent velocity increase in the Ackley configuration whether it be the 22-250 or the Swift. Improving the Swift has the added benefit of much better brass life.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany Tools: I have 3 close Varminting buddies that utilize the Ackley Improved 22-250 cartridge.
All 3 Rifles are very accurate and attain noteworthy velocities. I have shot along side them and have been impressed! The brass life is better with the AI than regular 22-250 brass even with the increased velocity! At present I am building a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved and have owned a 6mm Ackley Improved for many years. Lots of good things about Ackley Improved cartridges and only the one drawback and that is the fireforming effort. I live with it.
As long as you are starting from scratch with your rig I would go with the Ackley Improved 22-250. Be sure and use enough barrel length to compliment that round and create the full velocity potential. I would go with 26" barrel length minimum.
Good luck with your new Varminter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote