New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 84 c
 Login/Join

<jpamp>
posted
I've looked at a Kimber 84c in 223. The gun seems to be in pretty good condition and the price is right. But I heard a lot of things about the Kimbers some good and some not so good;-)
So what is the general opinion should I by this gun or not?

Regards
Henrik

<mike aw>
posted
Most of the problems with Kimber surrounded their big game rifles. Model 89 I believe. If the price is right jump on it.

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Henrik- I have a Kimber 84c in 223. Mine had seen some use before I bought it. It has been recrowned and there is minor discoloration where the prior owner had a bipod.
Prior to reloading, I fired a couple of Winchester USA 40 round packages (loaded with a 45 gr HP at 3600 fps) to gain brass. This load ran about 3/4 - 1 inch groups, with my handloads, I have been able to shave 1/4 of an inch off that. This with a cheap Redfield 3x9 scope.

I don't know what the trigger pull is on the gun, I have never had it measured. It has a very nice, crisp break though.

Wood to metal fit on my gun is good, though not exceptional. Finish and checkering is nice. Figure in the stock is very nice, though again, not exceptional. Bore cleans up with ease, and doesn't seem to collect copper fouling.

I am very happy with mine, I think you will be too. May I ask what the price is on the gun. I overpaid for mine, but think it was worth it.

<jpamp>
posted
CAL9,
I don't know if you can compare prices between Sweden and USA but the asking price was 800$. But I ended up with a Sako L591 in 22-250. It suited me better and since I don't have any previous experience with the 22-250 I jumped on the deal, I paid 380$ for the Sako. So far I'm more then pleased with my new gun. I'm getting around 0.5 -0.7 MOA with Norma factory loads and next week I'll start testing my own recipies ;-)

Best Regards
Henrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Kimber of Oregon Model 84 was a really well-made gun in the classic configuration -- blued, oiled walnut, straight comb, etc. I am a Sako fan, and would say that it compares favorably with the Sako. As the previous poster notes, in Europe the Kimber will be far more expensive than the Sako, while in the U.S. the two will be in a comparable price range. If you can buy it for less money than a comparable Sako, I'd say it's a bargain.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote