Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie dog hunting in CO
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Is a small game license needed to shoot prairie dogs on private land? Is a prairie dog considered a small game animal?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but you better know the landowner very well and they better be able to show that they need you to control pds for them.

Reference CDOW small game regs 325A and 325B

Considering the cost why not just buy the license ?

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just contacted the DOW office in Colorado Springs (227-5200). The warden there said a license is required now on both public and private land. He may have skipped the control portion of the reg, but...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
skb2706,

I'm personally not worried about the cost.

My business manager wants ot come out and shoot a few and bring a couple clients.

I was asking because I don't think one of the clients has a valid hunter education card; hence, that would throw a wrench into his getting a small games license.

prof242,

Thanks for the phone number. I'll give them a jingle. I need to clear up my hunter education card myself. (They have it on record as being from Ohio when it is from Oklahoma.)

Thanks guys,

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the regs read

#325 - Badger, muskrat, beaver, red fox, bobcat, skunk, coyote, raccoon, prairie dog, pocket gopher, rock squirrel and Richardson’s and thirteen-lined ground squirrel
A. These species may be taken year-round as necessary to protect private property.
B. A license shall not be required of any person, member of the person's family, lessee, agent, designee, or any employee of the person when necessary to protect private property.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
skb2706,

Thanks for the regs! Thanks for pointing them out. I looked for them last night but missed them. I printed off a copy and think I'll make a trip down to the DOW office and talk to them face to face. Looks like if you get written permission from the landowner being an agent or designee, you might not need the license. Who knows? I'll let you know once I find out.

Thanks again,

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is that you may be limiting your options...depending on your skills at meeting and greeting. If at all possible I would go for the license and an out of state hunter safety will get you there.

I know I could do it, shoot them without a license because I have the places to go but I still get the license because I'll need it anyway.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
All:

I just returned from the CDOW office in Colorado Springs. I asked about the need for a small game license to hunt prairie dogs on private property, and was told yes I needed one.

I then produced the printed regulation #325 posted by skb2706. The gentleman behind the counter looked a bit puzzled and said, "Where did you find this?"

I answered, "I printed it off the internet from your website."

He then pulled out a book and looked up Chapter 3 and section #325.

He followed by saying, "Let me see if one of our law enforcement officers is present."

He left for a couple minutes. Came back and said, "Yes, you can hunt them without a license as you pointed out."

I responded by saying, "Then all I need is permission from the landowner stating I was his agent/designee and doing it on his behalf for property damage control."

He answered, "Yes that appears to be correct."

I would suggest that it might be best to get written permission from the landowner. At least that is what I’m going to do. I’ll probably just produce and print out a blank letter with sections to fill out by the landowner, so I’ll have something in hand, just in case. It doesn't really matter to me because I already have the small game license but it does make a difference for my hunting partners who haven't passed the hunter education course.

Cheers,

Graybird

one of us
posted Hide Post
To be quite honest I don't always think that it is a prerequisite to know the regs and become a DOW officer. It is not the first time I have heard challenges on the subject. It should be a requirement that the regs are factual and current. It truly is not that difficult to read 26 pages. I believe it should be called "knowing the rules and regs 101".

Another one of the regs that they will get caught up on is the one regarding shooting coyotes at night with a light on private property. They will say you have to notify them and get a written ok from the DOW. You do not....not on private property

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
skb2706,
Thanks for looking up the regs on pds. I knew about the coyote regs because we've done it regularly around Pueblo with a game warden in attendance!
Yep, sometimes the DOW needs to conduct refresher (or even basic) courses for its wardens on the law.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coinsidently the regs on pds and private land is at the very end of the small game chapter. I have had a couple friends who came to shoot private land with me from out of state who chose to not purchase a license. To be honest I think it should be required...but for now it is not.