New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever actions for vaminting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How accurate can a lever action be? Ive had some recent thoughts about getting a 94 in 30/30 for a walking varminter but an curious what my max range will be. Is a 250 yard shot on a woodchuck resonable? Or should i stick with my small bore bolt rifles to take care of the job? Thanks for your input in advance.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that would be pretty much a hope shot with that combo. You might try to pick up a 99 Savage in .250 or newer .243, they carry easily & most are 1 1/2 -- 2" shooters with some doing much better.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think 250 would be pushing it even scoped though you may luck into a real tack driver. I have loaded some Sierra 125 FPs for my 94 and they shoot into less than 1" @ 50 yds (with a peep that is about as good as I can do) This gun seems to really want to shoot and would probably do really well with a scope but it is a Pre-Angle Eject and I never wanted to scope it anyway. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the performance of those bullets yet. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ruger and winchester offer the .17hmr in lever guns.wayne

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
...Is a 250 yard shot on a woodchuck resonable? Or should i stick with my small bore bolt rifles to take care of the job?..

Hey Scott, I'd suggest it would only be reasonable if you have done a good bit of practice with your specific Load at that distance.

The reason I say that is because out at 250yds the Trajectory will be falling fairly quickly for the Velocity you can get Varmint bullets going in a 30-30. Of course you can "single load" it to take advantage of the pointed bullets.

Here is one place where a Ballistics Program can allow you to gain some perspective in how much flatter your other calibers trajectories are in comparison. But, you still need to shoot it to see what's the actual arc.

So, I'd say if you want it, get it and enjoy the shooting. You will be surprised how quickly you can learn the 30-30 Varmint Load trajectory.

[ 04-08-2003, 18:38: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Hot Core,

I would suggest the Marlin over the '94.
Just from my experience the Marlin has a slight edge in the accuracy department.

Currently I am down to 1 .30/30 levergun, my first, a 1967 336R.C. I recrowned, relieved all "stress" on the barrel, from the furniture and honed the action.

It is a very accurate rifle and has taken many 'yotes, foxes and groundhogs beyond 200 yards.

To be fair, I got this rifle when I was 10 and have probably put 5-6 K. rounds thru it.I still shoot over a case of ammo thru it each year.I got lucky, it shoots the cheap Federal 150 gr. hp. as well as any handload I ever came up with. Its like shooting my favorite recurve, throw it up and fire without thinking.

If you are willing to fire the number of rounds it takes to get intimate with the tragectory, the rifle and cartridge are up to the task.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There has been a Winchester 88 in .220 Swift with a heavy 24-inch barrel at the last couple of Orange County gun shows. I haven't been curious enough to buy it...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin chambered a lever action a few years back in .218 Bee. I shot one a few times and was surprised that it shot as well as it did, around 1.5 inches at 100 yards. This was with factory ammo. I am sure handloads would have improved its accuracy. You could always handload bullets with a higher BC and use it as a single shot or have one in the chamber and one in the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950's a guy put a bull barrel on a Savage 99 and shot bench rest with it. It had no forearm and was very accurate. No reason you can't do the same. Chamber it in 22-250. The case is the same as the 250 and 300 Savage.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Last couple of springs I,ve used some leverguns for a mess of larger critters. I used a ruger 96/44 in 44Mag and a 1895 Winchester in .303 Brit. The Ruger wears a 2.5 scope and the Winchester is open sights only. The places I,m carrying them long shots never happen but even the iron sighted Winchester is capable of a 10lb. critter out to and past 100 yards or so from a kneeling position.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hello, I am new to the site but not to varmit hunting. Boy the 17 seems just way to lite and too affected by wind and any little thing in it's way to seem like it would be an effective round unlike the big brother 22-250

posted Hide Post
would like to also add that if you are looking at a 22lr..22mag..or 17hmr please don't forget the henry rifle. This brand has a long history and a great gun in there hands. I have been hunting groundhog, p dogs and yotes all my days and many of groundhogs have fallen to my 22. I got a henry at the ripe age of 29 and have shot 1000's of rounds out of it and it groups like no buddys 22 has ever. They now make a 17hmr....even though I am not a fan of the 17 if I would buy one it would be this one. I don't know if it is there barrel making or what but the grouping and range is better than i have ever had before

one of us
posted Hide Post
in responce to the henry rifle,I agree my henry can shoot with the best of em and the price is right to.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
<S.B. Hooper>
posted
The Browning BLR is a quality rifle. I have a .243 that is very accurate. The only problem is that you have to get used to a heavy trigger. I bought the BLR years ago for calling coyotes. It is short and fast. I once killed six coyotes (out of 13 that came in) at one stand with it.

<Hutt>
posted
I use a BLR in .223 for my pick-up rifle........Very handy shooter!