THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    243 or 22-250 Ruger No.1 for yotes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 or 22-250 Ruger No.1 for yotes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
I have a Ruger No.1 in 243 Winchester and I just purchased a 22-250 Remington barrel for it.I was just wondering if it would be worth haveing the 22-250 put on the Ruger or just sell the 22-250 barrel and leave the gun as is.I am only useing it for yote calling and a little wood chuck hunting.So should I keep it in 243 or change it to 22-250?

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
If you are not concerned about the hides, I would use the 243. If hides are a concern, then I think I would get something smaller than a 22-250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For years I have used a 220 Swift for coyotes and have lost a few. Two years ago I switched to a 6MM and have used the 87 grain Hornady Sp Fb and Now the Speer 70gr. TNT and every coyote has been ANCHORED where they stood or ran. The TNT has been exploding inside with no exit. It should be noted that nothing under about 125 yards has been shot with this bullet. I'd have to agree with the advise to stick with the 243. Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 55 gr. BT's as long as you don't want the hide. As the poster above said, the .243 anchors them especially with the varmint bullets. If you want a easy shooting rifle for your wife to take speed goats or deer, just load a 100 gr. Partition in it and you have a damn fine deer rifle. (I'll probably get tarred a feathered for saying that, but I know I'm right)
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote