New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224 75gr. A-max 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody wacked any p-dogs with these bullets. I ran the ballistics on this bullet in 22-250 at 3250 FPS and was really impressed. Is the expantion any where near a V-max? Also what are you folks getting for velocity in 22-250 Rem. Was planning on a 9 twist tube.

Thanks
Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot them in my 22BR which is close in capacity to your 22-250. I have a 8 twist barrel. These are match bullets and not varmint bullets. You will get kills with them but not nearly as spectatular as with the V-Max.

Hope This Helps
Michael

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is a 22/250AI which I'm turning a bit over 3400 with. Doesn't blow up dogs, but sure does make for a nice long range blaster

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do with gun I have now. Its a Howa varminter in 22-250 and Im pretty sure this will be the last summer for the factory tube. I was thinking about staying with the 22-250 with a tighter twist barrel. Might be better route to have chambered in 6mm Rem. to shoot those 87gr. V-maxes.

Thanks
Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot prairie dogs with a 75 A MAX out of a 223 with a one in 8 twist.... It was pretty distructive on them, in my book.... as well as some hollow points...

The barrel was a stainless steel barrel that had been mounted on a Ruger with a Blued Action... I ended up with a Ruger Stainless in 243 with a shot out barrel... So I had the stainless barrel from the 223, put on the Stainless Ruger action and had it chambered for a 22.250.... ON the blued action I just put the original 223 barrel back on it.......

with H 414 powder I am getting in the vicinity of 3300 fps...on a 24 inch barrel ( heavy magnum contour..)....

I also have the 6mm Rem set up you mentioned.. but I still don't think a 22.250 with a fast twist for 75 and 80 grain bullets is a bad idea at all... that is why I put this together after it being a 223 chambering....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them with a Swift fast twist. The lack of wind drift has to be seen to be believed. Its wind drift is less than half of the .204, which some would have you beleive is the hardly affected by wind.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
do whitetail count as varmints??

This is the results of a 75 A-max out of a .224 TTH at about 180 yards.

Ouch!

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IV--yep I'd say that would be adequate!! grins

Sea--I gotta get a hold of your clock some day, 3300 with a 75 out of a 223?? You either have the fastest clock in the west or you push things way too hard there amigo....Not beating on you here just an observation.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

3300 fps is out of a 22.250 not a 223....

The barrel was chambered in 223, but I had it rechambered to 22.250 when I moved it to another receiver.....

YOU must have scanned the post instead of reading it.. I just re read it, and there wasn't any posting screw ups on my end....( for once)...

I bet I could get 3300 fps with a 223 and a 75 grain bullet... of course the action would be good for about ONE shot... and the shooter would have to be pulling the trigger from behind a tree..... lol

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for the clar Sea, I actually read it 2x but was obviously my bad. Sorry

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote