THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Model 70 Stealth - Is it a shooter?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Stealth - Is it a shooter?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are the Winchester varmint rifles, particularly the Model 70 Stealth, considered good shooters? I saw one for the first time today and thought it was an attractive weapon. On paper it looks like it has everything to be a good tack driver, but I haven't found any postings here that talk about it. I would love to here from some of you that might have one or just have opinions on it. Thanks.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro: I own a Stealth in .223, and it shoots 69 gr SMKs into .5 or under at times if I do my part. Been working with Varget and Winchester brass. They're mighty hard to find in .308 as the high demand keeps them scarce. They have a reputation of more consistent quality than the usual current production Remington 700. The Stealth is a push feed version like the lighter barrelled Coyote model. You will like it, I'll wager.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the trigger easily adjusted?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are shooters for sure. I know guys who have them in .223, 22-250 and 308 all are sub half MOA rifles. If I were to buy a new factory shooter right now it would be a Stealth without a doubt. All the shooters around here that have one have put Jewel triggers in them and that is all they have done to them the barrels are superb. What else can I say? I don't think you will be dissapointed with one.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straigth....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Looks like I may go the Stealth route (22-250) based on your opinions. One more question though: How are the stocks on them? I haven't actually seen one in person yet, but the pictures look great. I originally wanted the Rem 700 VS, but I don't like the synthetic stock with the spider web patterns in it. I like the stocks on the 40x, but more than I'm willing to spend. Thoughts?

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Jethro,

I like the spiderweb on the VS stocks but would also, like you, like to try a Stealth... The problem is that they are hard to find and therefore high priced... I don't think that Winchester made enough of them for there to be price competition therefore I'll prolly end up with another VS which you can pick up for a song on the auction sites.

My latest new Winchester had a really crappy trigger and from what I understand that's common now so you'll prolly need a custom trigger....

I think that Remington is the only American trigger that's truly adjustable but I replaced all my Remington triggers with Timneys so there you have it.

$bob$

quote:
Originally posted by jethro:
Thanks for the input. Looks like I may go the Stealth route (22-250) based on your opinions. One more question though: How are the stocks on them? I haven't actually seen one in person yet, but the pictures look great. I originally wanted the Rem 700 VS, but I don't like the synthetic stock with the spider web patterns in it. I like the stocks on the 40x, but more than I'm willing to spend. Thoughts?

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a .22-250 M70 "Heavy Varmint", the immediate predessor to the Stealth (difference being HVs have a SS barrel). I've very pleased with it. It's accurate, but I don't think I've developed "the" pet load yet. Best 5 shot average group to date is .610" @ 100 yds. Very consistent though. The Stealth should be similar. I had a gunsmith work on my trigger, he had to do a bit of stoning and replaced the spring with a lighter one. It lets off at a crisp 2.25 pounds now. Now if I could only get a .308 Stealth.......

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
$Bob$, et al.,

I know someone who has a very lightly-used Stealth .223 for sale. I can put you in touch with him, if you ask nicely. [Wink]

George

[ 11-26-2002, 21:36: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jethro, $bob$, et al,

My friend's e-mail is iraklion@worldnet.att.net if you want to contact him regarding the Stealth .223 he is selling.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stocks on the Stealths are made by HS Precision with an aluminum bedding block. The December American Hunter (NRA mag.) for a review.

Posts: 41 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys: On the Winchester 70s trigger.....it happens to be one of the best factory triggers out there and easily adjustable. My Stealth came with a 4 lb trigger and now breaks at a nice 2.6 lbs.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote