THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Killing coyotes. Suggestions? *update*

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killing coyotes. Suggestions? *update*
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Coyotes are now moving into our area. I want to knock them back as much as I possibly can. My little 100 acre plot of land is mostly woods, with some small fields. So rifle shooting will probably not work as well as someplace with wide open spaces. I'm open to anything that isn't illegal or overly cruel. Traps, guns, whatever.

Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
conventional wisdom is trapping is the only way to really get large numbers of the coyotes.

find an experienced trapper in your area, and you will see results. Failing that, you can learn trapping, there is a learning curve, and it may be a few years before you get dialed in.

Daytime calling and shooting is possible, but it also has a learning curve, it takes a lot of dedication to get good at this sort of hunting. In the mean time you will have a lot of educated coyotes.

Buy nightvision gear, and shoot them at night, this is probably the quickest way to start killing the critters.

If you hunt deer and turkeys, shoot every yote you see, lots of coyotes killed off a deer stand or turkey hunt.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low_tech:
conventional wisdom is trapping is the only way to really get large numbers of the coyotes.

find an experienced trapper in your area, and you will see results. Failing that, you can learn trapping, there is a learning curve, and it may be a few years before you get dialed in.

Daytime calling and shooting is possible, but it also has a learning curve, it takes a lot of dedication to get good at this sort of hunting. In the mean time you will have a lot of educated coyotes.

Buy nightvision gear, and shoot them at night, this is probably the quickest way to start killing the critters.

If you hunt deer and turkeys, shoot every yote you see, lots of coyotes killed off a deer stand or turkey hunt.

Thanks. I have a friend with a night vision equipped rifle. It never even occurred to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is legal you can put out bait, and shoot them at night with the night vision.

I would put the bait 80 to 100 yards out, in an open area, but near cover if possible.

They usually come in around 11pm to 1am or so, where I hunt.

I have killed 2 coyotes on some nights, around 45 minutes apart.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's legal.
Any idea what kind of bait coyotes like? And if a gamecam will spook them?
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If it is legal you can put out bait, and shoot them at night with the night vision.

I would put the bait 80 to 100 yards out, in an open area, but near cover if possible.

They usually come in around 11pm to 1am or so, where I hunt.

I have killed 2 coyotes on some nights, around 45 minutes apart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trapping is gonna be the most effective means but calling can be some exciting sport. Using either method, if you are a poor trapper or a caller that can't sit still, you are gonna end up with a bunch of educated coyotes. As we fox trappers found out when coyotes moved into TN, there ain't no dumb coyotes.
Using bait is okay but it's best to establish the bait site before you use it and seed it down often enough to keep it working. In other words, get the coyotes accustomed to walking right in on the bait. You understand, of course, that the bait site is gonna draw in every skunk and possum in the county. Using a bait site to trap, don't trap at the site but in the lanes leading to it. And use urine not bait at those traps.
The desire to get out there and start killing stuff is always the most pressing part, as posted, a couple of good books might be your best starting point.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them off of deer, pig, and turkey carcass's.
Last turkey season after I shot the first coyote I just left the dead coyote at the bait site as well.

I killed 8 in less than two weeks.
I killed a bobcat too.

If it is not hunting season, use canned dog food.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put out dog food and a game cam? I could check the cam in the day without spooking the coyotes. Then when I have a pattern I could set up to shoot.
Does that sound like a good plan? I'm trying to give myself the best odds for a kill rather than educating coyotes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A game cam is definately a good idea.

However I can say I have killed a coyote at around 1145pm, got in my buddies Mule,and the dog and I drive out to the kill site, take pictures of the coyote, move him away from the bait a few feet and drive back to the shooting location.

Then around 45 minutes later I have killed a second coyote...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, do you have a tent camp, or trailer or cabin on this piece of property?

My bait site is 100 yards from my picnic table, next to our camp. I just go out and start looking for a coyote around 10 PM till 2 am or so, on the nights I am varmint hunting.

I cook my dinner, watch a video, or read a book, pet Rusty the Wonder Dog, and check for coyotes on the bait every 30 minutes or so.
When I see them I shoot them. Bobcats too. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My house is on the property. About 60 acres woods,10 acres marsh,20 acres fields. A creek on one side.
I'm there now.

Dry dog food or wet food?

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The trapping advice is sound. We did it for years on a friends ranch and he not only said it helped but reffered us to other ranches around him.

Calling them is fun.
Coyotes are like fourlegged cockroaches though. Tough to get rid of them all.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use canned dog food.
Also I would set up my shooting location out a window of your house. That way you can conviently check it with out foing outside and making any noise.

I had a problem with bobcats killing my ducks here at my house. I built a duck pen near the house and so far I have killed seven bobcats within 50 yards of the house, shooting out the bathroom window. BOOM

Bobcats also show up between 1130 pm to 1 am.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Frank - good luck getting a "pattern". The general pattern is that they show up when you are not around/prepared.

Traps work 24/7 if you have the time and tools.
Calling and hunting are generally low probability hunts even for experienced callers (trust me, I've been skunked plenty of hunts).

Bait is probably your best first choice. As mentioned, if you can set up in view of a window of your house you are halfway there. Look around the web and you will also see links to guys that set up inexpensive sensors on the bait pile. Coyotes come to bait (especially at night), sensor sets off flashing lights/alarm in your house/bedroom, you grab your gun already to go, open the window, light them up and shoot. The newer red LED flashlights seem to spook them less than a white light in my opinion. A relatively low effort, higher probability technique. Here's a good example and Here's another

Be sure to stake down or tie up whenever using bait or it will be dragged off quickly. Put it where the crows/ravens/vultures won't see it to save what they steal. Once the weather stays below freezing the 5 gallon "meatsicle" scrap meat/ice block works great as they can't really take much at a time but they keep coming back.

Predatormasters.com probably has some good additional info for you. Good luck.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@ erict,
I really do like that set-up. And I could do it here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like NE 450; says; if you can use a feature of your cabin/house window/porch where you can take a look every while or so instead of a dedicated hours long sit. Keep the selected Terminator (your choice) loaded and ready to Rock 'n Roll.

A vantage point with Bait @ 80 meters away; fairly close to concealment so they don't feel totally exposed.

#1 Night Vision Terminator is the best option.

#2 If you can get any light (dim) just enough to aim with at the bait spot for those really dark nights.

#3 @ 18"-20" piece of 4" or 6" PVC pipe buried in the middle of your "Honey Hole". Fill with Left-Overs, Road Kill, innards, rotten whatever, Sardines (you only need 1 can), Tuna Fish, and the Skunks, Racoons, Possums & Crats that will also eventually find this smogasboard irresistable (sorta self-perpetuating kinda Honey Hole).

With a dark background use some sand, straw, etc, around the "Pipe" that is light colored to assist with target definition during hours of darkness.

Anything larger than 4"-6" diameter is too big and those two sizes are just right for a Fox or Coyote to have to stop and work at the "Pipe" as they can get their Head/neck a good ways down into it for the Goodies.

While they're working the "Pipe" give 'em a surprise!

If it's layed out on the ground they just pick up and run off with whatever's left after the Ravens, Crows and Jays get done.

The one's you miss (I mean don't see) will build the pipe into their routine after a while, the more "used" it is - the better it is!

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry, can you give me some more specifics about the pipe? I understand it doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want to make it so wrong it doesn't even work.

18-20 inch long, 4-6 inch pipe, buried.
Do I bury the whole thing so it is flush with the ground?
Do I need to tie a steel rod to it to make it stay put?
Do I bore holes in it or just leave it?
Do I put a cap on the bottom, does it matter?

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Yeah, Bud ....

Yes, bury the "pipe" flush with the ground, we don't put it straight down but rather at a small angle, it doesn't have to be straight down like well.

We obtain a length of pipe, cut to the appropriate length with a hack saw and bury 'em. We don't cap 'em and you do not need to anchor it. We simply dig a hole, insert pipe and pack the earth down around the pipe to make it flush with the ground.

You can even hollow out a light-bulb shaped type hole at the bottom to ensure that everything you want to stuff into it will fit.

We insert the entire entrails of Roe Deer & Wild Boar we shoot into our pipes. BUT we cut the innards into smaller chunks. If not, you'll see the coyotes (Foxes) grab hold and yank the entire mess out and do the dash to cover/concealment with it. You want them to stay there like a dog at a food bowl, so keep the chunks small(ish); if not they'll take it at one grab.

We do this at the vast majority of the High Seats where we also bait Wild Boar (with corn). Because the High Seats are elevated you can easily see the "black" dot where the pipe is located and we judge the distance according to the terrain features at each site. Far enough away from the High Seat so movement & noise isn't a major concern, close to concealment so they don't have to trot across alot of open space to get to it but not in vegetation so thick that you don't know if someone's visiting but still close enough that you don't have to take a World Class Championship shot to accomplish your mission. Gotta be your own best judge of the situation.

In some of the really dark forest spots we'll spread sand, straw or hay around the hole to afford better visibility during darkness (illumination & night vision is illegal here). If you could run a wire to the "Honey Hole" and have a blue or red bulb; that would be perfect. Snow is a treat; you can spot 'em from far away coming to the "Black Dot".

It's not really important that it's full of Goodies but rather has the right smell to it, so they come by on their feed routines and give it a visit.

When we do our check (1-2 weekly) of the Lease we check them and have a case of cheap-o canned Sardines in the truck to top-off the pipe. Makes for the right aroma as the fish scent appears to bring them in from afar, not counting all the innards we've dumped into them over the years.

Yeah, you don't want to create a health hazzard but judicous topping-off of the pipe will have all sorts of vermin visiting and you can Confirm Zero on them and they go into the pipe, too.

Gotta remember there's no Rules of Engagement here; it's about what is Legal in VA and making Body Count.

Let us know how you get along.

Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions from Gerry.

The only thing I would add when using bait stations is to arrange stones, sticks or other obstacles to force the critters to be broadside to your vantage point - makes it much easier when it's time to take the shot. Trappers use this similar idea to force the critters to step in certain spots and avoid others. Good luck - post some pics when you start piling them up and remember that even your southern pelts are probably worth saving/selling.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I was starting to get just a little freaked out. I'm sitting here getting ready for bed, when I could swear I saw a flash in the back yard(it must be a reflection in the window). Then a few minutes later, another flash in my back yard. There isn't anything in my back yard that should be flashing.
Over 200 yards away, up against the creek is my dogfood bait. And my gamecam that has a flash. rotflmo It's probably a possum. I saw possum tracks today when I refreshed the dogfood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I would add when using bait stations is to arrange stones, sticks or other obstacles to force the critters to be broadside to your vantage point - makes it much easier when it's time to take the shot. Trappers use this similar idea to force the critters to step in certain spots and avoid others. Good luck - post some pics when you start piling them up and remember that even your southern pelts are probably worth saving/selling.

Frank,

Good on ya, Buddy.

eric-t's advice sage.

Yes, we often build a blow-down (read=bullet backstop) directly behind (1-2 meters) the "Pipe" with old logs, sticks, etc. (not rocks or concrete). We're primarily concerned with where the bullets go in a densely populated place such as The Fatherland. It does afford an ability to "Channel" them so that they are positioned either broadside Left/Right of the High Seats so you're getting optimal sight picture when you send your "message" down-range. What is key here is the the "backstop" does not interfere with your sight picture so that there's enough space directly behind the "pipe" to obtain a full view of your target.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, possums and coons on my game cam, I figured as much.The possums and coons may end up in the pipe once I get it installed and baited with sardines.
I've been doing some work with the tractor so I may just put a small dirt hill behind the pipe as a bullet stop.
And I'm thinking of 2 pipes. One farther away to encourage them to get comfortable with it. And a closer one within shooting range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I'm thinking of 2 pipes. One farther away to encourage them to get comfortable with it. And a closer one within shooting range.

Frank,

See? Perfect Outa-the-Box thinking that's encouraged - go for it!

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, there are coyotes in Germany?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If not, you'll see the coyotes (Foxes) grab hold and yank the entire mess out and do the dash to cover/concealment with it.

homer

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No coyotes yet. And a surprisingly small number of foxes. Lots of possums and coons. I have several pictures of big coons and possums with their heads in the pipe, but it is too deep for them to get to the bait. That must be very frustrating. rotflmo I have a fish trap in the creek now right next to the coyote bait. I'll dump the fish into the coyote bait pipe.
I think I'm going to have to come up with bigger pieces of bait. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn crows. Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
To steal a truism, there are old coyotes and bold coyotes but no old bold coyotes. Traps, snares, hunting, cyanide guns and everything else you can muster is the only way to keep them at bay. Unfortunately you most likely have neighbors within their natural range that think it's cool to have coyotes running free and howling in the evening. In which case that property wil be a safe haven for them to breed and operate from. All you can do is terrorize them on your place and hope they develop a sense for the boundaries of safety.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I'm going to have to come up with bigger pieces of bait.

Frank,

Great photo, Pal.

Yes, you do want to actually give them some of the bait.

Top the pipe off to the upper levels occaisionally, so they can have a nibble. Don't want to keep them too frustrated.

Good Work.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having different possums visit just about every hour. Tomorrow I'm going to start putting a few of them in the pipe. I've also noticed some road-kill deer, that is where I really should be focusing my efforts. That is a lot of bait.
It's time for me to get more serious about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
quote:
I think I'm going to have to come up with bigger pieces of bait.

Frank,

Great photo, Pal.

Yes, you do want to actually give them some of the bait.

Top the pipe off to the upper levels occaisionally, so they can have a nibble. Don't want to keep them too frustrated.

Good Work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
different possums visit just about every hour

Use them as targets of opportunity to confirm zero.

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little update on my varmint hunting this deer season in Texas.
I was at the deer lease for 49 days straight, and did a little shooting off my picnic table at night.

I shot 6 coyotes, 3 bobcats, and a grey fox.
All with a Blaser BBF Mod 97 O/U in 308/20ga.
Allwere killed with the 308 barrrel with a NVD scope at around 100 yards.

I killed a grey fox and a coyote on the same night, and several days later I killed a bobcat, and a coyote on the same night.

I did not hunt every night.