THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Sauer 202 7mmMAG for varminting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 202 7mmMAG for varminting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Sauer 202 in 7mmREM MAG with a Swarsvsky 6 - 18 x 50 on it, which I intend to use as a long rang deer and pig rifle but am curious as to how it would side up to a specifically designed rifle.
What do you all think?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend it for sustained shooting of prairie dogs or ground squirrels, but it would mean death at long ranges for coyotes, marmots, etc.

Be mindful that most 7mm bullets are not designed to be frangible, so bullet choice is critical if you want to minimize ricochets.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I used a 7mm Rem mag for varmints during a few years when I couldn't afford a dedicated varmint rifle.

It made for an awesome rig if you didn't let the recoil get to you (shoot it enough and you will notice the recoil even with the lightest bullets!).

The lightest bullets made by Sierra were very accurate in my rifle, and their terminal effect on varmints was gory (to say the least). No problems with richochettes either, although I was extra careful.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the hornady 120gr v-max is a good choys for long range. the 7mm rem mag whil shoot flatter and then 22-250 and whitstand wind bertter. [Wink]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote