THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    pics of my new toy being built

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pics of my new toy being built
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I got this figured out these are pics of my 257 ack just after the barrel and action were put together.
 -

-
 -

now to see if that worked. RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RNS, darn glad to see you still drop in now and then. I recall seeing a message that you'd be gone for a while during your move to Tennessee (?), and then you never came back...

I'm still fiddling with the .510-.505, but not making much progress. Just can't seem to get out much. I finally got some moderately fast powder, but I can't see trying those loads until late September, or whenever it cools off outside....

I did go hiking in slot canyons in Southern Utah last Christmas, and during the half-day I took off from that to go shooting, I met a guy from Page AZ who said they were upgrading their range to include 1000 yard targets. Lot better than I can get in TX....

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RNS - I am curious about your use of a "stepped barrel." What were your reasons? I know why the Germans did it long ago but was not aware anyone was doing it today. Curious.

[ 07-28-2002, 02:03: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello SDS
Yes it has been awhile and right now I am in Alabama for 5 more weeks. I don't think the move is going to go through unless something major happens in the next few weeks. Which is fine with me [Big Grin] , Arizona may be hot [Cool] but everything is not wet [Eek!] . I still don't like that much rain I think cutting the grass would get in the way of shooting to much [Confused] . Keep us posted on the 510 when it cool down. Build them while it's hot, shoot them when it's cool. RNS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45

The steps you see are only marks on the barrel from the tail piece of the lathe(I think that is the right name). The marks will be polished out and the last end of the barrel will be cut off. It won't look that way on the next pic. RNS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RNS - I see. For a moment it looked like the "stepped barrels" the Germans used on their Mausers. Good luck with your new venture!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote