New
Find
Notify
Tools

PDs for the foreigner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm really starting to hanker some US style varminting.

If you had 7 days including flights to get some beginners PD action how would you go about it ie when, where etc.

A goodly part of the fun would be using my own rifle and ammunition - how easy would this be?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Checkout Predator Master's.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

There's a fella on there that provides Varmint Safaris.

[ 11-25-2002, 20:59: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. When. Prairie dogs are most active in warm weather. I would say anytime from June through September, although in the more southern ranges May and October would be okay. I've hunted them as early as April in Texas.

2. Where. The great plains states. Texas has some pretty good dog towns in the Panhandle, but probably not as good as Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming also have good dogs. License requirements will vary from state to state, but most have a temporary small game license which is very inexpensive and good for about a week.

3. Guns. As "gun friendly" as we presume ourselves to be compared to other countries, we make it unreasonable hard for visitors to bring their own guns. I really don't know much about the process, but some others on this forum can help you. If you want to import a gun, you will be assumed to be a disciple of Osama (since we don't seem have any better ways to guard against terrorism and need to spend a whole shitload of money on the newly-created Deparartment of Everyone Is a Suspect). But I'm sure it is possible to import your guns if your are persistant enough.

I would recommend that you hire an outfitter who can put you on a good dog town and take care of ground transportation, shooting benches, spotting scopes, etc. Most would be relatively inexpensive, perhaps no more than $100 for a day. Alternatively, someone on this forum who is located in good dog country might enjoy having you as their guest.

Good luck!

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894: I Hunted Prairie Dogs on a super secret ranch in Montana for many years. The rancher loved me because I shot the little pests from "sunrise to sunset" and realy cut into their numbers. I never saw another Hunter there. Then one spring day about 10 years ago I was putting the hammer down on a field of them when I noticed a "pile" of brass a few yards from me. I gasped at the realization that "someone" had discovered my secret spot. I inspected the brass and it was Federal 223 Remington stuff. I noticed it had a fair amount of dirt inside each casing and had been fired from an autoloader. I salvaged that pile of brass and about 300 other pieces I found that day in other spots. Curious as to what kind of Varminter would leave Federal brass on the prairie I inquired of the rancher at the end of that day. The rancher told me that a French citizen had come by the previous fall and asked if any Prairie Dogs were in the area. The rancher directed him to the PD's and in their subsequent conversations the rancher learned that the Frenchman was travelling alone and had flown to the U.S. and bought his ammo after arriving. The French Hunter had several Guns that he left with a friend on the east coast permanently. When he ventured to the U.S. for Big Game or Varmint Hunting he picked up the needed Firearm and ventured forth in a rental car!
The rancher said that the Frenchman really enjoyed the high plains scenery and the remoteness.
For a 7 day excursion I think I would hire an outfitter. Now mind you I hate outfitters (but thats another story and a long and sad one at that!) and I suggest you use extreme caution when dealing with any of them! Use only highly recommended guides and obtain those recommendations only from hands on Varminters. The mileages and travel times between Varminting areas on the high plains can eat up days quickly and without reward if you are not familiar with the country and on your own. Good luck if you decide to try for Prairie Dogs.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote