Notify
Tools

Crow meets 69gr. Sierra
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
I am still chuckling about this one.

69 gr. Sierra Match from my 22-6mm at 3600 fps. His last flight was about 8 feet straight up in the air and back down.

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess it expanded a little.... but wouldn't a 60 V-Max have required a wide angle lense? LOL

Well done.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good pic! Love the feathers on top of the bale and the specks scattered throughout! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't ravens a protected species? Anyway, great shot. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ray in seattle:
Aren't ravens a protected species? Anyway, great shot. r in s.

Not where this one was, Ray. Big Grin

And it was a big crow, not a raven. I guess Ravens are protected.

Thanks.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Not that I have any love for ravens as they are very destructuve birds and are very hard on other species young especially on ground nesting birds but it doesn't matter where they are they are protected. They are the main reason for the decline of the sage grouse population here in the west. It probably would be a good idea to erase this post before a game warden sees it. It is ridiculous that they are protected so it has to fall under the 3 es's.
Crows are different, there are established and regulated seasons on crows in some states.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wells, Nevada | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by itrap4u:
Not that I have any love for ravens as they are very destructuve birds and are very hard on other species young especially on ground nesting birds but it doesn't matter where they are they are protected. They are the main reason for the decline of the sage grouse population here in the west. It probably would be a good idea to erase this post before a game warden sees it. It is ridiculous that they are protected so it has to fall under the 3 es's.
Crows are different, there are established and regulated seasons on crows in some states.

It was just a big crow. Not a Raven.

How's that? Big Grin thumb

Jim

PS: In fact it is a crow and not a raven after a little research. I thought it was a raven because of the size, however the evidence is right there in the pic. A crow has a tail that is slightly curved across the back, a raven has a wedge shaped tail. This is a crow, likely on steroids. Big Grin

Jim

posted Hide Post
Hey Jim,
I hate to be a pain in the butt but I don't want to see you get in a jam. I does look like a crow and the reason I say this is a crow has a straight beak and a raven has a hook on its beak.
Anyways if I was you I would check and see if the crow season was open.
Again I hate to be a pain in the rear, but there have been arrest and convictions made from internet posting and probably all of them were just like yours, in that you didn't know there was a season. The way the fish and game cops look at it though is ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wells, Nevada | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by itrap4u:
Hey Jim,
I hate to be a pain in the butt but I don't want to see you get in a jam. I does look like a crow and the reason I say this is a crow has a straight beak and a raven has a hook on its beak.
Anyways if I was you I would check and see if the crow season was open.
Again I hate to be a pain in the rear, but there have been arrest and convictions made from internet posting and probably all of them were just like yours, in that you didn't know there was a season. The way the fish and game cops look at it though is ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Not a problem, and I appreciate your concern, however, crow season was open.

For a little over ten years, (when I was younger) I worked in the woods up here, (and did quite a bit of trapping also). It was a vocation that allowed me to see many things that take place in nature. I remember quit vividly two occasions where crows acted as predators. On one occasion I watched a crow land next to a nest in a tree and snatch one of the chicks from it and fly off. The other occasion was when we came around a corner in the road, we saw two crows pecking the life out of a clutch of grouse.

We have too many crows (here), and on my land, I feel I have the right to control them.

I shouldn't be so cavalier, but if they want to bust me for shooting a bird that I have seen repeatedly stealing and killing grouse and song bird chicks, then so be it. It will not stop me from doing it again.

Jim

posted Hide Post
Nice shot, how far away were you? Your crow looks a lot like the ones I tag with 40 grain Nosler BTs and Sierra BlitzKings. Smiler

I agree with you, they are nasty birds and I drop them when I can. They are wise to me and post centries around the house. They scream and caw when they see me walk out of the house and alert all their buds to fly off. I still get one now and again. If you want to tick them off lay one out in full view of their buds. They throw a fit for a few hours and leave for a few days but they always come back.

Posts: 29 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashhole:
Nice shot, how far away were you? Your crow looks a lot like the ones I tag with 40 grain Nosler BTs and Sierra BlitzKings. Smiler

I agree with you, they are nasty birds and I drop them when I can. They are wise to me and post centries around the house. They scream and caw when they see me walk out of the house and alert all their buds to fly off. I still get one now and again. If you want to tick them off lay one out in full view of their buds. They throw a fit for a few hours and leave for a few days but they always come back.

Thanks, it was very close to 110 yds.

I kill quite a few pine squirrels coming into the bird feeders during the winter. I think the count is up to 47 now. I take them into the back field and put them on the snow so I can see them from the back window of the shop. The crows, eagles and owls get used to coming in for a free lunch. First come, first served so to speak. The owls and crows will usually eat right there. The eagles take it "to go".

The crows and I play a little game. Its called, Can You Spot My Gun. Most of the time, they win. Some times, as you can see, I win.

Jim

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nice shot! Sounds like my bird dog got ahold of a crow this morning in the backyard. Wife called and said it looks like a black chicken farm blew up in the backyard. I wish I could have seen it!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote