New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmit Hunting in CO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am currently in Iraq, but will be heading bac to Fort Carson, CO. Before I left I bought a heavy barrel 223 for my Encore, and would like to do some varmint hunting. Does anyone know some good places to hunt all types of varmints. I also have a 243 that I am dying to use on Coyotes, as well as a 25-06 barrel for the encore.

Posts: 61 | Location: FT Carson CO | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in the Colorado Springs area; last I heard regarding coyotes was the Tarryall Reservoir area was good. Also east of Widefield. Latetly they've had excellent luck using "cat calls" to call them in; it seems the coyotes closer to town have developed a taste for pets left outdoors.

Another good area for coyotes is around Wilkerson Pass, west along Hwy 24 above Woodland Park. They're so prevalent, a friend lost his terrier to them when they'd stopped for a rest!

There have been prairie dog towns north along Hwy 83 near the Black Forest area and north of there. I'm sure some of the local ranchers would appreciate help eradicating some of them.

The western slope areas (like Pagosa Springs) look like prime country to hunt just about anything; I don't know who to contact though. If I hear of anything from my friends out there, I'll let you know because those areas are a long ways out.

Otherwise, when you get into town call some of the gun stores in Colorado Springs; they should know someone you can contact for up-to-date information.

Good luck, and stay safe in Iraq!

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM me when you get back here to CO...I am sure I can hook you up with a couple places.....within 150-170 miles. Lots of pds and some coyotes too.

By the way ...thank you for serving our country !!

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote