New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 AI or the Swift?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am fixing to order one or the other from Cooper. I've been thinking about this for a long time and finally I am ready to order. Help me make up my mind.

Thanks,

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
From a ballistic standpoint, they are 2 peas in a pod. But the AI design is superior in that it stretches less (less frequent trimmings!) and produces less bolt thrust -- and thus is a bit easier on the action.

Of course, you do have to fireform the 22-250 AI. But that is of little consequence as ff loads can be accurate enough to use for most general hunting applications.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
From a ballistic standpoint, they are 2 peas in a pod. But the AI design is superior in that it stretches less (less frequent trimmings!) and produces less bolt thrust -- and thus is a bit easier on the action.

Of course, you do have to fireform the 22-250 AI. But that is of little consequence as ff loads can be accurate enough to use for most general hunting applications.
thumb
Plus 22-250 brass is cheaper and more available, which helps offset the higher price for the dies. Plus you can ocassionally get 22-250 ammo on sale and it has shot quite well in my buddy's 22-250 AI.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
If you want a long range performer, I don't know why more guys don't think of this... but order one with a fast twist, either a one in 9 or faster...

I'd pick the plain old 22.250 with a fast twist...

I had one built on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 action that use to have a 243 tube on it.. it has a 24 inch heavy magnum contour PacNor barrel, one in 7 twist...

its diet is pretty much 33.3 grains of IMr 4064 or IMR 4895( same charge) and 60 grain V Max,& 75 and 80 grain A Maxes. plus the usual match bullets...

for flat shooting, it more than makes up for the Swifts faster MV, by having the heavier and longer ranging bullets... it also will have much more throat life than a Swift...

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
seafire-

I agree. For me, a fast twist in a .22 centerfire is pretty much a given. I am currently on my 2nd Contender barrel in .223 with a 1:8 twist. The first was a 26" barrel; my current version is 24".

The only thing I feed it at the moment are 75 grain A-Maxes and Re-15. But both this and my former barrel also did extremely well with the lightweights, particualrly the 40 grain V-Max and 50 grain BlitzKing.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have both in slow and fast twists. if i was to keep but one (heaven forbid) it'd be the swift with the 9" twist. i'd probably still shoot 50 gr bullets, but the 9" lets me shoot the long sierras. Swift dies are regular cost. 22/250 ai dies are i believe $100 a set. good round, but i still like the swift best

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornIf you are even contemplatijng a wildcat(22-250AI) than take it a step farther and get one of the 22 X (.243s or .244s) with a fast twist and deep throat. Doesn't sound like barrel burning is a big concern with you anway. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a dang bit of preference between the two calibers, I think that the 250AI is just so damn cute,, and the swift is just so classy.
However I do have a tidbit to offer if you are thinking of hunting coyotes with either one when it comes to fast twist barrels and heavier bullets for better BC and long range. For every really long shot " long enough where you would notice any advantage from the higher BC" you will have five runners where the raw horsepower of screaming velocity will make the biggest difference.
It is amazing what a couple of hundred feet more persecond will do for your running shots in reducing lead and guess work.
And 99.99% of your shots will take place inside the 300 yard circle, unless you are in Wyoming..
so better ranging abilities are a mute point.

However you are most likely plinking at gophers and hogs and they don't run very fast..

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a 1-10" twist barrel would be a better compromise for a 22-250 AI or Swift. I would like to shoot heavier bullets than the typical 50-55 grainers but I don't care about shooting 80 grainers.

So, is a 1-10 twist a good idea or not?

Thanks,

Landrum

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess what I want to know is what is the fastest twist one can use and still get decent accuracy with the lighter weights?

Landrum

One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I shoot both calibers and while I love my Swift I think the 22-250 AI is a better mouse trap.

As to the fastest twist you could use and still have the best chance of good accuracy with the lighter bullets I would look at a 1-9. The 1-9" twists that I have used have all shot the lighter bullets well and handled everything up to the 75 grain Amax.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stormbringer:
The 1-9" twists that I have used have all shot the lighter bullets well and handled everything up to the 75 grain Amax.Mike.

The 12BV-SS in .223 handles up to 80 gr. bullets OK, and 33gr. and 34gr. are deadly. 9 twist would do just fine. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Landrum:
I wonder if a 1-10" twist barrel would be a better compromise for a 22-250 AI or Swift. I would like to shoot heavier bullets than the typical 50-55 grainers but I don't care about shooting 80 grainers.

So, is a 1-10 twist a good idea or not?

Thanks,

Landrum
quote:
Originally posted by Landrum:
I guess what I want to know is what is the fastest twist one can use and still get decent accuracy with the lighter weights?

Landrum
It is far easier to UNDERSTABILIZE a bullet, than to OVERSTABILIZE one. With a 1-9 twist you would have the option of going to an 80g bullet, with a 1-10 maybe, maybe not.

I would go with the 22-250AI (or original 22-250) over the Swift, just for the increased case life alone. If you are looking for speed, the 22-6MM is about as far as you can go without being really wacky. 50g bullet @ 4100fps
(there is some data in the reloading section for this cartridge)

I guess the question I have is what type of shooting are you intending to use this rifle for?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 22/250AI's, both have Shilen barrels with 1-14" twist as I didn't intend to shoot bullets heavier than 55grs. These rifles are mostly used for deer shooting(out to 440yds.) and do a fine job.
My hunting load chronographs 3,998fps and is extremely accurate.
Try it and you'll like it. You wont believe how flat it shoots!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Howa 22-250 and a Swift in the Remington 700 Classic. I have not owned a 22-250AI.

The head says 22-250AI for all the practical reasons outlined above, but the heart says Swift. I would buy a Swift again.

For barrel twist, 1-14 and stay with 50-55 grain projectiles or 1-9 and shoot 65's.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote