THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Tikka Varmit vs Savage Varmit

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tikka Varmit vs Savage Varmit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was really thinking of getting a 223 instead of the 22-250 for the cheap ammo and lack of heat on the barrel. I know I am limited for shots but I think I could use it for up to 400 yards as my friend does when we are out.

Greg

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've got the Savage. Would've liked to have a .223 so I could use the cheapo plinking ammo, but couldn't find one anywhere without special ordering it. Got the .22-250 off the shelf at the Wal-Mart at a decent price. I strongly dislike the AccuTrigger's safety lever, but it shoots very well. With its 1:12" twist it handles 60 gr. flat base PSPs well. As for barrel fouling, I strongly disagree. I cleaned the bore after 600 shots. Got out soot from powder, no copper at all. Ammonia wouldn't make a trace of blue.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the new Tikka T3 varmit with heavy barrel. North of the border up here in Canada, the dealers say they don't know when they will come in or how much they are.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage is very accurate,but I've had a .223 that had feeding problems. I've nver seen a tikka with that problem.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt_E
posted Hide Post
The Savage action in question produces plenty of accuracy. I've got a 12VSS in 22-250, and am fairly pleased with it.
The trigger is vanilla, in MHO. I have no problem whatsoever with the safety lever, though I have heard that mentioned by a couple of people before.

Can't complain about excessive fouling, either.
Little on the heavy side...

Feeding sucks. That's all there's to it. It is unreliable.
It'll misfeed 1 or 2 rounds out of 10 or 15, but that is plenty bad enough for me.

Extraction is somewhat hampered as well.

Those two issues are non-issues for P-dogging.

Posts: 9130 | Location: US of A | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote