Find
Notify
Tools

Big Hog!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted
It rained all weekend appart from a few hours this morning. Of course I had to get out and chase down some groundhogs during the ''dry spell'' I usually spot and stalk them walking along the farmland but today I wanted to set up about 100 yards from hogtown and snipe at them.
So I drove out to my favorite groundhog spot. As I walked up to my spot I saw a lone hog walking around the corn fields approx. 350 yards away. I missed him. I made the mistake of holding over on him instead of adjusting the elevation on my scope. I also warned every hog in the area that I was there. Now I had to decide if I was going to wait them out or just walk the fields as usual. I decided to walk past the burrows, double back down wind of them set up and wait them out. After about an hour I saw a hog walking around about 200 yards away. The shot was uphill with no backstop so I passed on it. About 15 minutes later I saw this hog comming out of his burrow. He was about 110 yards away half out of the hole. The 80gr. psp that my 243 just loves made short work of him. Centered the crosshairs at the shoulder and he fell back into his hole like a drain plug.

When I pulled him out I was happy to see that this was a BIG hog. He had to tip the scales at close to 15 pounds.

This picture is from his burrow out to where I was set up.

As a bonus I saw a nice deer as I was heading back to my truck. Not to bad a day for just a few hours in the field.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know groundhogs (There are none down here in Bakersfield) is the dark coloration of the head and feet normal for up there?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
Yes, the coloration is normal.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote