New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 84m Varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Considering purchase of one in 204. I haven't seen much about these here. How do they rate?

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 84M SVT's. The gun is first rate. I would look at the ProVarmint over the varmint because of the laminated stock.

I haven't had the time to work up loads for my SVT yet, but it looks like it will be a sub 1/2 MOA gun with multiple loads.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Kimber. I wanted something heavier than my dad's 700 BDL, but lighter than my cousins Savage bull barrel. This is exactly the gun that I wanted. It is light enough to not tire me while in the field, but heavy enough to hold dead on when a woodchuck stands up in the alfafa at 100yds.
The action is as smooth as glass. The trigger is about 3-3.5lbs, I haven't bothered to adjust it yet and there is no creep or overtravel. The load I'm using keeps everything inside an inch at 100yds. I have not played around with loads to much since my style of hunting changed due to a geographic move right after I got the rifle. I'm using 40gr V-Max bullets over a charge of Varget that I got from the loading data on the Hodgden website.

Life's too short to carry a gun that you hate!

Posts: 46 | Location: In Pennsylvania, wishing for more Silhouette Matches and friendly, woodchuck hating, Farmers in the geographic center of the state. | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber Varmiter in .204. It took me a bit to find the right load. Now that I have it shooting under .5 inches and I am super happy with it! The weight and balance of the rifle is perfect for me. I have 4 Kimber fire arms now 2 rifles and 2 1911's I don't think you can go wrong with a Kimber product.

Semper Fi and Safe Hunting

Will

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought one - best thing that i have done in along time - adjusted the trigger down to 1.75lb and out to the paddock.
Hornady 40grn factory load at 133 yards off the bipod just under .5 - awesome!

Posts: 28 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That all sounds like good news. I have been looking pretty hard, I do have a 84m in 243 for my daughter that has worked out well. I just haven't read much about how the varmint mdls. are doing.

I want a repeater and dont want for something real heavy, so far the Kimber keeps looking like the best choice for me.

Many Thanks

HBH