THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Range needed for a remote caller?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range needed for a remote caller?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
e-Caller is done and the easy test of the radio link (mail box to the porch) indicates it works fine at 125 yards with no line of sight (around a part of a building).

How much range is really needed for a remote caller? I'd think at some point the target would get small as the distance to the caller increased.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much range is really needed for a remote caller?

I don't think I've ever put mine further than 30 yards away.

I make a lot of stands and generally no more than 30 minutes at a location, most of the time half that and move.

Most of my varmint calling is at night with a light for bobcats and gray fox.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just place it where they have to give you a good shot when they go down wind to check it out.30-40 yards should work ok

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would say no further than 50 yards or so depending on the area. I try to set up within 50 yards with the best view of the downwind area. Keep watch behind you to make sure that they don't circle around on top of you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put a remote call farther out, but 30 yds. is plenty far. I use a foxpro fx3 with a quiver rabbit decoy. Its deadly on fox using a jackrabbit or cottontail distress call.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No more than 30 or so yards and never out of sight