New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheap rifle for pdogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have made several posts about pdog shooting and received lots of good info. I plan to go next year and want my brother to go with me, should be a great experience. The kicker is that he's getting married next year and is on a very tight budget for a 223.

I know you get what you pay for, but he's looking for the cheapest pdog combo that you would carry to the fields. He's got a nice 22-250 with elite 4200, but needs something in a 223. He'll probably sell whatever he gets and upgrade later on, but needs a cheap set-up for next year.

So, what is the cheapest rifle/scope combo that would fit the purpose? The cheapest thing I can think of would be a NEF ultra varmint with mueller or simmons 44 mag scope (decent reviews on rimfire.central.

Another option would be a stevens 200, but I'm afraid the sporter barrel would get hot way too fast.

Help?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go the SAVAGE route with the HB 223 in their Model 12 or 112 line-up!! You'll get the Accu-trigger, pillar bedded stock, stick whatever glass you want to on it(looking to absolutely cut corners, a Tasco 6-24 ought to do the deal!!!) and after taking it to the prarie dog town, he'll probably opt for the rifle instead of the wife!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His 22-250 is a savage fv and loves it. He's got money, just being a tight-wad. It's actually good that he's thinking about their future, but shouldn't be so tight when it comes to guns. For some reason, he's intrigued by the handi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The barrel with the stevens would get way too hot"

Try a load of 14.5 grains of Blue Dot over a 40 to 46 grain bullet.....

MV will be about 3250 fps....

Accuracy will impress you...
\
and only 14.5 grains of powder makes a pound last a long time, plus it takes a lot longer for your barrel to heat up.... even a sporter weight one compared to other powders.....

Just a thought,

seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
A Savage varmit rifle is hard to beat.
I bought a H&R ultra varmiter 223 ,it is just a cheap single shot .
But it shoots great ( after a trigger job ) with a older Tasco 6- 24 scope .
I leave it in the truck for anytime varmit smacking.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I'd do a new Savage with the Accutrigger. If that's too rich for his blood at the moment he might look for a good used Savage and get the trigger lightened. I'd spend the balance on the best scope I could afford...used if necessary.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin b,
I own a couple NEF's. I will say this they are both tack drivers. The trigger is heavy, but i polished the sear and it is much better. If you can put up with a single shot go with the NEF. I personaly have never had to many folow up shots on varmints. NEF makes good guns. well, what ever you find I hope you use it alot and enjoy it. _MOE

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Howa Varmint Gun might be in your price range they are finished very well and I think represent good value for a varmint gun.

Are not Rem 700's pretty cheap in the states ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Tikka varmint & varmint stainless,they have an excellent sako trigger & barrel,shoot very well out of the box & are very well priced.

Hard to beat really.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he's going to get another savage. He's got a while to look around for something used.

As for the tikkas, I had one in a 22-250 until I shot a savage. I didn't like the magazine, kept me from seating the bullets out to where I wanted them. Not a problem with the savage box magazine. My best group to date with the savage is in the .2's, probably a fluke on my part. Usually shoots around .5 most of the time with v-maxes, but groups tighten up with matchkings.