THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best 6mm bullet for least meat damage

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 6mm bullet for least meat damage
 Login/Join

<heider>
posted
I hunt jackrabbits for food and where I hunt you are not allowed to use FMJ for hunting. What bullet can be used to minimize meat damage?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would probably use a reduced load. If the impact speed is below 2200 fps., most big game bullets will expand very little.
To make a reduced load in a center fire, big game rifle you need to use powder that is no faster than IMR 4064. And a magnum, not standard primer.
If the standard load clocks 3000 fps, cut the load to 2/3's the charge and load it. That should give you roughly 2000 fps. Load it, and others, adding one grain per batch. Test shoot and use the most accurate load. My .280 Rem has such a load. It's 37 grs of IMR 3031 over a 120 gr. Sierra ProHunter. It puts three in .47 @ 100 yds, and shoots .4 of an inch high @ 100 yds. Perfect. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes makes a solid 6mm bullet, turned from some bronze alloy. It might be a little expensive for jackrabbits though.

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<heider>
posted
The bullet must be "expanding" type for hunting to be legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're hunting rabbits for food, you've pretty well got the wrong rifle all around to start with. Just use a .22LR. Solves the meat damage, expanding bullet problem and it's surely cost effective....and as much fun as hunting them with anything.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<heider>
posted
Ahem....hous bout at 300yards?

<Okie Newton>
posted
How bout the 100 grain Nosler Partition?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest there are 2 possibilities. Use a lighter calibre such as a 222 or 223 with a Hornady SX (super explosive) bullet. They are made with a very light jacket that will go in blow up and not exit.This will minimize pelt damage and if you shoot them in the front end you shouldn't spoil the hind quarters which has most of the meat. The other option is use a 100 gr bullet. The rem psp would work ok and is reasonably priced. Again aim for the front end.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the most accurate bullet that should allow you to pick your shot placement. Something like a 95gr lapua scenar?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year my wife used a 6MM Remington with a handloaded 95 grain Nosler partition. Not 5 cents worth of Damaged meat, [Big Grin] cuz I asked the butcher thats how I know [Wink] . Also due to where she shot it, went in behind left hind leg and exited infront of right front shoulder. Very accurate load also, as I recall I used H-4831.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbits in Toronto?
Surely these are snowshoe hares!
Aren't they???
LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got to change your diet.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Jackrabbits @ 300 yds. The sagebrush must be really small there. [Wink]

Unless you want to shell out the jack for a so called premium then theres two choices really, a sp or a varmint bullet. You decide which will make the biggest mess.

I dont use them myself so I cant say for sure but I think that a lot of people THINK that a Matchking is an expanding bullet.. [Big Grin]

[ 10-05-2002, 05:46: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say go with most any target bullets because they dont expand for crap but are still a hollow point so they should be plenty legal. So look at the match kings or a-max bullets.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post

[ 10-07-2002, 06:49: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
Small or rough game like rabits CAN be hunted with anything. It is the larger game like deer that you must use a .243 or larger expanding type bullet. I would sugest the Hornady 80gr FMJBT. And YES rabbit can be very good when cooked right. I like mine browned in a pan with breading then oven baked in a rost pot to stay moist. As far as i know Hornady makes the lightest weight FMJ in 6MM. Most others are 90gr or higher. And the hornadys are not cannelured.