New
Find
Notify
Tools

REM J-locks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys does anyone know if Rem has done away with the j-locks?? I ask because I was in a local sports shop yesterday and saw a couple of Sendero's on a VS in 308 and the other a VSSF in 300 win mag. Of course I jumped all over the later of the 2 and first noticed it had no j-lock so I asked one of the guys working there was it used or had it been lost in there stock room for a while. He replied with what I'm nearly 100% positive was BS by saying no it just came in tuesday. I told him it was pre j-lock model to which he replied they have quit putting those on their new rifles to which I'm sure thats BS also since they don't make the Sendero anymore.
I also glanced around and saw them on every gun bolt I could see made by remington on the shelf.
I said that I didn't think the sendero was in Rem lineup anymore to which he replied he hadn't heard of it being discontinued. Hmmm bewildered I said and glanced at the price tag that nearly sent me into shock with a price of 899.99. I kindly handed him the rifle back and said thank you.
I plan on going back in a day or 2 and speaking with someone else to see what kind of BS they try to feed me about it. This particular shop has a rep of being underhanded from time to time so I beleive nothing this person said.

Now back to my original question does Rem still use the j-lock's on their new sticks??

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told they dropped it. But I have no idea why people dislike them so much. They don't have to be locked. And if you have a rifle that has one they can easily be removed and replaced with other parts. A quick visit to Remington's web site still shows it on the bolt action rifles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do know the new Remington XR-100 Varmint Rifles do not use the J-locks!
Now, it could be that Remington is still making the Sendero's on a limited basis and not catologing them? Or maybe some wholsale supplier had the Senderos tucked in deep somewhere and they percolated to the Sport Shop where you saw them?
I nearly had a spit fit when Remington announced and then came out with the J-locks on their 700 line. And I actually did go into a hissy fit when I finally saw them on the shelves. I saw a Remington 700 Classic in 223 Remington that some how got out of the factory with out a J-lock on it! All the 223 Classics I had seen until that one did have the J-lock "obtrusion" on them. I bought that J-lock-less 223 and I still have it.
I resisted buying the J-locked 700's for some time til finally I had to have a 700 Classic in 221 Remington Fireball. It had the dreaded J-lock and i fully planned on replacing that intrusive device. I never did. I seemed to be able to ignore it?
Since then I have bought several more Model 700's with the J-lock and like Snowwolfe says they do not have to be used and I have been able to look past the now somewhat less clean lines of the Remington 700's bolt shroud.
I would rather they drop the J-lock but I would be surprised if they do (or did!).
Long live Remington
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I was told they dropped it. But I have no idea why people dislike them so much. They don't have to be locked. ...QUOTE]

One problem is the J-lock coming on in recoil. Not a good thing in competition. Even worse in hunting.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
One problem is the J-lock coming on in recoil.
Not a good thing in competition. Even worse in hunting.

Hammer

Heard of this happening but don't personally know anybody it has happened to.
That would be reason enough to drop it, I would think.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here ever witnessed first hand the j lock locking up from recoil? I never took one apart and was wondering if they are easy to disable instead of replacing the bolt piece?
My son's new 700 SPS 30-06 which we bought about 3 months ago does not have the J lock.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, Remington has indeed dropped the J-lock. They have also dropped the Sendero from production.

The latest Remington catalog shows no versions with the J-lock. You may still wind up with a J-lock on old guns that have been in a warehouse someplace. I bought a new Model 700 Mountain Rifle this summer that still had the J-lock on it.

My dad has two rifles with the J-lock and I have the Mountain Rifle. We just leave them disabled and have had no problems.

I did see a fellow with a Sendero with the J-lock that had a problem. Seems he was having troubles with the gun causing odd firing pin dimples in the primers. The firing pin hole in the bolt was oversized and oblong.

He let a fellow hunter take the bolt apart one evening prior to a pig hunt and they did not realize they had lost the ball bearing and spring that holds the J-lock in place. When his chance to shoot a large pig came along his gun would not fire. A search of the cabin they were staying in revealed the missing parts hidden in the carpet. Sad lesson learned !

I think Remington did good getting rid of the J-lock. I wish they still made the Sendero, that is a good rifle if you can stand the weight.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote