THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Varmint rifle scopes in higher power.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Varmint rifle scopes in higher power.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Quote:

I think the big bell scopes are a waste of money. Plus they look like shit sitting on top of a rifle. Kinda like a monkey fxxxing a football.

Interesting!
I do think that on some rifles the 50mm objective looks odd but hardly give it the same weight as you do. Hunting is no beauty contest.
I have a couple vari-xII's and the last Leupold I bought was a 3.5x10x50mm vari-x III, and it is way ahead in the light gathering dept. It actually would allow you to shoot after hours in most cases. ( provided you have shooting hour restrictions) I too am interested in the new Leupold but it would be on a very specific use gun.
In many cases a use specific tool is of great value as opposed to a good multi-funtion one. I'm pretty slow to condemn the monster without giving it a chance. It(the 50mm) wouldn't be of any advantage in full light over a fourty but is it for use on sunny days only?
There's a time and place for most things invented because someone had a need for something unavailable.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Varmint Guy,

The Nightforce scopes are expensive and I really had to force myself to buy it. But now I have no regrets what-so-ever. If I had some loose cash on hand I would not hesitate in buying another one. I do use varmint bullets in both set-ups. The Ruger loves either 55gr V-Max or the 55gr Nosler BT's. When I bought the Rem 700 it just wouldn't shoot the 55 grainers better than a 3/4" group. I tried every powder imaginable with no success. Finally I tried Hornady 52gr Match HP behind 35 gr of Varget(my favorite powder) and my prayers were answered. I also have a good load the 700 likes for 50 gr Nosler BT's. This year I'll experiment with the 50 gr V-max. Evidently this rifle just doesn't like the 55 grainers. Well, you know rifles are just like women,never know what they're going to do.

I like your comment about setting up on hills when shooting PD's. My PD buddy and I have several good towns we shoot and with the exception of one, we are always set up on top of hills shooting down at the boys. Maybe that's why I never have had much if any of a mirage problem.

Can't wait for spring and the pups. It's going to be a good year, I can feel it in my bones.

Take care.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Bull, I had a 8.5x25x40 on a varmint rifle....,243 Ackley..The heat waves were sooo bad with it I practically gave it away....I have several 6.5x20x40 Leupolds, some on P/Dog rifles and some on Ground Hog rifles....The 4.5x14x40 is hard to beat when you consider field of view, clearity, weight, size and the longest shot I have ever made was with the 4.5x14x40....I got in the 500 yd. club with a 4.5x14x40...I'm going to work on getting in the 1000 yd. club this summer in South Dakota...I'll use a 6.5x20x40...If you want to really know about the 50mm scopes, call Leupold and ask them. They tell me that they serve the foreign markets and you can't sell a scope in Australia or Europe if it doesn't have a 50mm objective...Call them and ask, you'll be suprised just how honest they will be....Good luck....

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Well, You quite obviously expect not to have your opinion questioned.

We can hunt at night even here in the "Republic of Kalifornia" and we did it quite often when I was growing up in Oregon. I don't know the laws where you live, but can tell you that hunting at night on the snow for coyotes without any artificial light is big fun! I have also hunted some of the thickest, steepest country that exists in N.A. and can tell you that it gets dark pretty early down in the canyon bottoms. Light gathering ability helps. The scope that gathers the most light will make for the best choice if the situation warrants the extra weight and size.
If there is nothing to be gained then why are there so many binoculars with bigger objectives? Most people would like a pair that are as bright as 7x50's, clear as air, light as a feather, and as strong a magnification as they can hold still! Your vision also directly effects how well the you will see through bino's or a scope.
>
The exit pupil size is what changes with power. More power, less light transmitted due to a smaller exit pupil. Most bino's have a twilight factor rating for a reason. There is real science involved in the design of optics of any type. Most everything was designed for a relativly specific purpose.
You say you've shoot( I'm sure you ment shot) sage rats from dark to dark. I think with a bigger objective dark to dark would be a little longer. No big deal, quit whenever you want.
>
I can't see arguing with you on this much after this. Proof will only come to light when you try it. And as you've so clearly stated how poorly it would make your rifle LOOK and how POINTLESS they are, the truth will elude you!!!

What I said was there is a time and place for most things invented. You pointed out what you think the purpose and location were, obviously giving credit to my statement!

Happy Glassing, BigNate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate, have you never heard of planned obsolescence nor synthysized needs???? Watch TV for about 15 minutes and you will see examples of both. The large bell scopes were originally intended for New Zealand and Oz where night hunting is legal. Some smart cookie at the scope factories said "hey, maybe we can hype them up and sell some to the Americans". As they say, the rest is history. If you feel the big scopes give you an advantage, I'm sure they do. The human mind being what it is. I've shoot a few sage rats. From can't see until can't see, sunny and dark, and have never felt handicapped by a 38-40mm scope. I don't own any short magnum rifle either.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There used to be two things that were standard. The great customer service(warranty) of RCBS and the same for Leupold. go to www.leupold.com/resources/where_to_buy.htm and it appears we wont be hearing the same about Leupold that we previouly did. With this new policy I would say check out Burris---yesterday I would have said Leupold. BTW Leupold prices have came down about $80-$100 dont know if they cheapened the product or if this new policy is what will take up the slack.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Nate- LOL--- Ive shoot(I'm sure you ment shot). Somehow I suspect you were thinking meant.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beemanbeme, One evening after varmint hunting with a friend of mine we decided to compare light gathering between his Leupold Mark IV 24X and my 12-42X Nightforce. Turning my Nightforce to 24X we were very surprised at the difference. His Leupold was clearly the looser. [Well, maybe I shouldn't have said clearly].

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote