THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Yardage claims fact or fiction?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yardage claims fact or fiction?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI,
You have an edge on me with that equipment list.
Dennis

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
DMCI,
You have an edge on me with that equipment list.
Dennis

Dennis: I have had this rifle for about 5 years now, built on a Pre-war Model 70 with a Lilja barrel and jewel trigger.

I find this lash-up most suitable for PDs in a variety of environments. Last opportunity was shooting dogs to 250 yards in an 18 mph wind at Winner, SD last june.

Here is a picture of it when I was at the range checking zero for a trip to Montana. That 100 grain 6.5 Sierra Varmint bullet is terrific with H4895.

-

[ 08-30-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI,
I guess i'm going to have to up grade my equipment. Looks like you've got your act together.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread, judging distance is tough, I liked what I read in a test on range finders once. At the end of the article the writer said he'd discovered good news and bad news. The bad news was he stunk at judging ranges, the good news was so did every one else! In response to the original question about yardage claims fact or fiction, go to some of the sites talking about the new .17 HMR, great round I love mine---BUT!!!!! Look at the ballistic coeffecient, run one over a chrono, do the math ,then read the claims of some of these guy's! 387 yards on a prarie dog---RIGHT!! In a vacuum ! The new .17 as fine as it is has created a whole new version of fiction we're talkin " Alice In Wonderland , With A Rimfire ". God bless imaginations, without em how would the inferior convince all the rest of us the're better than we are?---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, we're in cyber space. Where everyone is handsome, rich, multi-degreed and own, fee simple, a Fortune 500 company. Groups are the size we want them to be and distances are great, unless, of course, we're being charged by something with large teeth or big horns. Then we can smell his fetid breath as he dies at our feet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beemanbeme,
Cyber space or not, there is still the mirror, right?
Stepchild

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post

[ 09-02-2003, 01:22: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote