New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifle options
 Login/Join

Picture of hivoltg
posted
What would be the best rifle and caliber for long range varmint hunting? Everything from yotes to prarie dogs out to say 800 or 1000. With those specs, might as well throw in precision shooting, huh?
thanks

Posts: 11 | Location: Marshall County, Mississippi | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy oh boy, you're going to hear a lot of different theories on this question! Big Grin

I'd look for something in the 6.5mm or larger caliber range myself insofar as caliber is concerned. There are certainly smaller bore combinations that will do the job but you're getting iffy on terminal performance at the longer distances IMO. Too you will find that BCs tend to increase with caliber and that certain calibers have a better selection of high quality bullets available due to their popularity for long range competition.The 6.5mm and .30 cal are two examples. That said some of the inbetweens have good bullets available too so I wouldn't stress much over the issue. One of the more popular 1000 yard cartridges these days is the 6.5-.284 and if not your choice it would be a good benchmark for ballistic comparison.

As to the rifle, are you talking custom or over the counter? If you do the former a lot of unkowns can be eliminated early in the process, if you do the latter it's a roll of the dice IMO, and you will certainly be doing some after market work on the gun before you're happy with it...bedding, trigger, this and that...you spend the money up front or later, your choice.

Give us a little info on what scenarios you're expecting and your budget, there are plenty of fellas here that can make sound recommendations.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a wide open door question. I used to use an old 40x in 300 mag out to about 12-1500, but it doesn't take to long to get mirage entering into the picture. Usually I only get about 1-1 1/2 hrs in the morning for long range before the mirage sets in so bad that you can't really see the dog anymore. I'm puttering around with a 50 for long range, but the most fun recently is a 22/250 AI with a 8" twist hart barrel shooting those 80 grain sierras. They get to 800 pretty fast

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I am using a Savage 110 BVSS (can't remember all the letters) 308 , laminated ,fluted ,Stainless 26" heavy barrel.
With 168 gr match loads I plink wood chucks at long range.

I got a deal ,my dealer was offered the rifle at like $150 less than it should have been ,because it had a small scratch in the stock and the new 12 length actions was what everyone wanted .

I spent the savings on the best scope I could find for my wallet.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of hivoltg
posted Hide Post
I don't have the money to go with a custom rifle right now. I do however have a damn good gunsmith in the family. He is known to do charity work for his nephew (me) clap
I just need something solid to start off with. I was thinking along the lines of a Savage or Remington 700. What do you think? Which models and calibers should I be looking at.

Posts: 11 | Location: Marshall County, Mississippi | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, my first question is why? Next question is what do you have to shoot out half that distance.
Now back to your question; DD hit it right on the head with his info on the 6.5-284, super round. In a factory round I shoot a Remington 700 Sendero in 25-06, a couple of us have been stretching out to 1000 yards with them with some degree of success IF the conditions are right. Invest in good glass.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of hivoltg
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, my first question is why? Next question is what do you have to shoot out half that distance.

Why what? I don't understand the second question. Please clarify
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday guys,

I am new to this varminting game but I want to tell you about my dream varmint rifle/cartridge combo.

My dream factory rifle would be the Sako 75 varminter in 260 Remington with a Swarovski 6-24 scope.

That teamed up with one of Seafires hot 85 or 100gr loads would have to be dynamite on small furry cuddly creatures.

I don't have one of these long range destroyers but I have experience of the out of the box accuracy and reliability fo Sako rifles and the 260 has to be the best usable long range varmint cartridge currently available.

If it is not a 260 then the other cartridge would be the 6.5-06. I will own one of these one day soon.

Don't know whether this will fit with what is best in your part of the world but here on the plains of the South Island it has to be a near perfect wind bucker that will bust bunnies, wallabies, hares and magpies like no other.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote