Find
Notify
Tools

Are these rifles any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976268261.htm

what is the twist and how is the accuracy?

Posts: 351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
They ar not bad little rifles for the money, they usually are pretty accurate(at least the ones I've fired. Kind of plain jane but functional.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
From what I hear, it should go sub-MOA with most ammo. I have one in .280Rem that shoots just fine. Mine was synthetic stocked and $212 at WallyWorld. Check prices at WalMart....they have a catalog under the counter...just ask. The delivery time on mine was under a week.

Also, you can have new barrels, in different calibers installed, for $87, for most common calibers.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Don't know 'bout the Ultra Varminter, but I have a plain-jane Handi-Rifle in .223 and it's a one holer with anything I stuff in it.

Makes a real short handy truck gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a paper of NEF's twist rates for the year 2000, doubt if they changed it.
It says the twist rate is 1-12. Actually, the same twist as their 22 hornet and 22-250 barrels.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one of the plain Janes for years too, ditto. Just buy a box of ammo,and start having fun. Used to blow my buddies minds with some of the shots we made with it on ground hogs.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they first came out. It was okay for the price, accuracy wasn't all that great,1 1/2-2" @100 yds. Some of the early ones (mine) had extraction problems. Not much fun when it's the only rifle you brought along and you don't just happen to have a case extractor or cleaning rod in you back pocket. I sold it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one just like that. It shoots MOA with the the cheap Winchester USA 45 grain hollow points. It has done better than this with handlaods. I got mine for $250 after taxes at wal-mart.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nashcat:

Also, you can have new barrels, in different calibers installed, for $87, for most common calibers.

Nashcat

Yes, you can get new barrels, however, you have to send in the frame and it
must be shipped back through a FFL dealer.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That ultra varmint looks like my old H.R 20ga.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary in Ohio>
posted
I have one and the accuracy is good but not as good as some others get. With a lot of handloading I finally got 1 MOA load. Must loads were in the 2+ inch range.

You do need to send the frame to the factory to get a new barrel. I've done this twice myself (45-70 and 20 gauge) and the turn around time was about 2 weeks. But you do NOT need a get an FFL involved. You can mail it to them and they will UPS it back to you.

In fact with UPS you don't even need to sign for it. Oh sure the box clearly states an adult signature is required. The first time they left it at my front door. The second time they let my 13 year old babysitter sign for it (and NO she does NOT look 21).