THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Blue Dot success stories? In pictures....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot success stories? In pictures....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Well, since I got flamed not long ago, but finally have gotten over it... thought I'd get back in the saddle and start a thread on Success stories of blue dot...

I'm going to start out.. but it would be great if we could make this a pictorial thread...

I'll start out...

Klamath County Oregon, May 2007
Winchester Model 70, 223 chambering, ER Shaw barrel, Boyd's thumbhole stock... Weaver 6 x 24 scope with target dot reticle...

Load: 13.5 grains of Blue Dot, 55 grain SP Hornady ( bulk).. Small Pistol Primer, Lake City brass...

Range: approzimately 200 to 250 yds.. took a little over 200 rats or so that afternoon...

Picture by good friend Mike Bellm,

meanwhile back at home in the front yard..
( no, I didn't shoot it with a blue dot load.. only shot it with the camera )...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whats Mike shooting in his Contender? I love shooting Blue Dot Loads in my rifles and have been doing it for a lot of years. I started after reading an article in the varmint hunter.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums silverfoz,

Last season Mike was actually shooting one chambered in 17 mach 2 rimfire...

since then the rig has been bored out to 17 Fireball.. with his schedule and mine, plus the late season due to the weather, we haven't been able to get out together so far...

he is leaving on his trip back east for a few months, which got delayed by the passing of his father in law recently...but if he did go out, same rig in 17 Fireball would be his choice this season he said..

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a Blue Dot load in the picture. It is my RR AR15. But it is a great place to sit and spend an afternoon ground hog hunting.

Mike did the trigger job on my Encore. He did great work. I normally read the information on his site with great interest.

I have worked up a Blue Dot load(from your recommendations) for my 223 Encore. It is a reduced load for shooting as quietly as possible. The load shoots great. I use a 45 grain Hornet bullet for the load. I should be getting my new 22-250 pretty soon. I am looking forward to working up a light Blue Dot load for this rifle also. Thanks for your help on the Blue Dot loads. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I look forward to any and all Blue Dot articles and post you make on it. I've saved each one.
Thank you,
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well cheee Dave...

appreciate the kudos...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Here's another day in the field, with the 223 and a load of Blue Dot with 55 grain FMJs..

pretty morbid, but shows the lethality.. these were shot within the 150 to 200 yd range...
Klamath County Oregon.. April 2007..snowed later that night!

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, would blue dot load work in a gas gun with a 1-7 twist? Also where does blue dot stand in burn rate chart? Is it fast or medium powder?Thanks

Posts: 77 | Location: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well Davaa...

have to admit, we don't see many posts from Mongolia from someone who owns an AR 15 or equivalent...

however, no it will not operate a semi auto.. it does not generate enough recoil to be able to do so..

blue dot is a faster burning powder, and is usually considered a pistol or shotgun powder over a rifle powder...

John Quincy Adams