THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    50gr Blitz King, Ballistic Tip, or VMax

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50gr Blitz King, Ballistic Tip, or VMax
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I originally went with match bullets because I did not want dinner plate holes on the off side. I am new to coyote hunting and have been told that my Hornady 52grHPBT Match bullet loads will certainly exit over 100yrds. Furs are important to me and I think the 50gr bullets might work best from my Rem700/22"/14"twist/22-250. The question is, which one? I am sure there might be even support for all, but maybe there is a standout. Which do you use and why (50gr Blitz King, Ballistic Tip, or VMax)?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Deke, The Vmaxs will open up the best and will not penetrate a yote, Blitzkings next, then bal tips, they retain alot more weight than VM and BK bullets, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke: I have yet to prove this for my self but I have heard from very good authority that the Speer 52 gr. Hollow Point Flat Base bullets (not the Speer 52 gr. Hollow Point Boat Tail) are the ideal bullet for Coyotes and pelt saving.
One of my sources for this is a recently retired Government Trapper and Coyote shooter over in eastern Montana. For many years he has been using this bullet in his long range Coyote Rifles (22-250's and 220 Swifts). He claims that very little pelt damage happens with this bullet. He also is a pelt saver. He kills tons of Coyotes!
So you get great accuracy, high velocity (flat trajectory) and killing power and yet still have little pelt damage using this bullet. I have two new Varmint Rifles geared up with this bullet now but have yet to take a Coyote with them. One Varminter is a 220 Swift and the other is a 22-250. I killed lots of Prairie Dogs, Jack Rabbits and Rock Chucks with the Swift last summer and was impressed with the performance on them as well as the long range acuracy!
Good luck in your search for the "best of all worlds bullet"! And by the way these are relatively inexpensive bullets as compared to the ballistic tip style bullets.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke,
I have experience with the V maxes and the B tips, neither are good hide bullets. I too am searching for a good hide bullet in a 22-250, lots of people say the sierra 50g soft point flat base is a good bullet, also the above mentioned speer 52g flat base. The V maxes make a MESS! They never exit they just make a big splat on enterance about a foot across. The B tips are about the same story. Good luck with your search and let us know if you run across something that works.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good comments. I have a call in to Speer about the 52grHP(not listed as a match) since they also make the 55grTNT/HP(HV). I am wondering why they have both. If it helps you respond, don't forget that we are talking western coyotes (1/2 the size of eastern) and a 22-250 with a mv of approx 3550-3750fps (my rifle shoots about 100fps slower than the Nosler published velocities) with a 50-55gr bullet.

Thanks Much,
Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50 gr TNT is a very explosive bullet. It vaporizes ground squirrels from my .223, so I think it would be too light for coyotes from the faster .22-250. It might not exit, but might make a big mess on impact.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Balistic Tips, usually 55gr., in 4 different .224 centerfires. It's an accurate bullet in all my rifles,
but being a good, clean killer is iffy at best. It's like most of the others in that it all depends on where you
hit the animal. I used to use Sierra 52gr. HPBT Match bullets because, being a range shooter, I usually
have loads of them around. You'd get a couple of woodchuck kills with tiny neat entrance and exit holes.
Then you hit one and turn it completely inside out, a gory mess at best. I wish you well with this one.
Nothing is foolproof for sure. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I am lucky enough to shoot a fair amount of coyotes in a year and have tried about everything.

In general, I have to agree with the previous posts here.
The Ballistic Tip is the strongest constructed of the plastic tipped bullets out there. The BlitzKing and V-Max are pretty fragile. They are wonderfull for small varmints and make a great red mist, but on coyotes I have had mixed results.

The last two predators I shot with V-Max bullets had no exit holes, but the "entrance" holes were quite large. One was a coyote shot with a 22-250 AI using the 55 grain V-Max.
The bullet entered the chest as it was sitting looking right at me at maybe 100 yards. The entrance hole was larger than my fist. One dead coyote to be sure, but if I had wanted the pelt, well, forget it. The other was a bobcat shot with a 40 grain V-Max from a standard 22-250. The range was short and the bullet entered the chest making a hole which was also almost the size of your fist. Beautifull cat, but way too large a hole to mend.

I have actually had very few exit holes with 50 grain Ballistic Tips. They work quite well for me.

I guess I am just a traditionalist, but for predator hunting, I still prefer the plain old 50 grain Sierra spitzer in 22 caliber rifles. I cannot remember any offside holes made by these.

In regard to the 52 grain Sierra HPBT, they are extremely accurate in most rifles, but as stated by others, they are quite erratic in terminal performance. I have had them blow ground squirrels to bits and I have had them pass right through one like a 22 Long Rifle with darned little damage.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DEKE, There is a wonderful article in Varminter Hunter Magazine, issue #13, January 1995 by Steve Hugel, called "Fur Bullets for Southern Colorado Coyotes":....Lots of experiences with different bullets, recommendations, and choices......You can call Varminter Hunter Mag. if you don't have one and they will probably have an extra one available.....Phone # 605-224-6665 Based on my experiences, the above comments are right on about the Ballistic Tip, V-MAX and Match King...Good luck,,,,,

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the idea that the Speer 52 grain flat base hollowpoints are a great fur bullet. I've killed coyotes and chucks with them in my 22-250. I killed one coyote at about 20 feet with one and there was one tiny drop of blood at the entrance and nothing else. I've also used the 50 grain BT quite abit and sometimes I get nasty exit wounds and about half the time they don't exit. What is nice about the Speer too is that they cheap.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke, I just called Varminter Hunter Magazine....As a member, they only charged me $5.00 so I had them send you the whole magazine......Don't worry about the $5.00..The article is on page 191....I think you will really enjoy it....Just let me know what you think and how it all works out....George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Your a good man. I would like to return the favor. If you shoot 7mm I have 70-160grHPGamekings I will not be using. They are a great bullet (very accurate), but a little too heavy for my 7mm-08 antelope/muley hunting (thought I would hunt Elk w/my 7mm-08, but have chosen not to, imagine they would be great w/280/284Win/7mmMag etc.). If I change bullets for the .22-250, I will most likely have some Hornady 52grHPBTMatch bullets I could also part with.

Deke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke, You are a good man..Thanks for the offer.....If at some point in the future you do change bullets, I might try a few of the Hornady 52 gr. bullets......but you don't owe me a thing....I use 120 gr and 140 gr. bullets in the .284..With a seating depth of 2.925 its perfect.....But this is a varmint hunting site...Glad to help out....Just hope you enjoy and learn something we can all use..George

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I would like to know if anyone has shot a fur bearer with the Hornady A-Max. I've shot paper with it and it is very accurate. You guys are correct about the V-Max and the BTip blowing gory holes on entrance. I stumbled on quite a number of the A-Max bullets in my locker and would like to run them in my 22-250 Encore barrel if they will perform on coyotes and cats.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote